Canon 1ds mk2

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
What is this camera's best use? Might be a daft question but is it sports, portrait, wildlife or anything else? I have been reading a review and it states that it's very unforgiving when used with anything but the best lenses so i am a bit worried about buying this. I am looking to get into portrait photography and this camera second hand is within my price range but i am not sure what lens would be best suited to it for portraits. I really can't afford a 85mm f1.2 lens. Any advice appreciated.

I have one Scott and it's fine, don't panic :)

I have two Sigma and 6 Canon lenses that I use with it.
Canon 17-40mm
Canon 35mm f2
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 24-105mm f4
Canon 100mm f2.8 macro

I also have the Sigma 24-105mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8

To be honest there is only one lens in that whole line up that I don't like with it and that is the Sigma 24-70mm because it is just seems to be behind all the others when it come to quality. The zoom seems a little sticky and it seems noisier and slower to focus. That said it still takes a decent enough pic!

While it is true that you will get the best from the camera with the best lenses, I can honestly say I've not had any problem with any of mine and I regularly print A3+

Sigma 24-70mm because it is just seems to be behind all the others when it come to quality. The zoom seems a little sticky and it seems noisier and slower to focus. That said it still takes a decent enough pic!QUOTE said:
I have one of these as well Ali, and I thought that mine was pretty poor, so I am pleased that I am not the only one with a poor mechanical copy :LOL:

I was comparing it to the 150mm f2.8 Sigma which was silent and tack sharp

so what style of photography do you use your 1ds mk2 for, as I am considering moving up from a 40D to a pro camera, reviews are only so good, its better to hear from someone who uses it (y)

I use a 1DsII regularly as my wildlife and general outdoor camera. It has one of the best AF systems ever made, stunning resolution and the ability to create awesome images. Yes, it needs good glass but that doesn't have to be top price stuff. I'd reckon an 85/1.8 would work well for portraits.

I use mine with a 24-105 quite a lot and am very happy with the results, although the 500 is better!

I thought the 85 f1.8 wouldn't work on it as it was full frame. That will settle that then. Also i take it there will be no problems using either a sigma 105 macro or a canon 100 macro with it?

Sigma 24-70mm because it is just seems to be behind all the others when it come to quality. The zoom seems a little sticky and it seems noisier and slower to focus. That said it still takes a decent enough pic!QUOTE said:
I have one of these as well Ali, and I thought that mine was pretty poor, so I am pleased that I am not the only one with a poor mechanical copy :LOL:

I was comparing it to the 150mm f2.8 Sigma which was silent and tack sharp

so what style of photography do you use your 1ds mk2 for, as I am considering moving up from a 40D to a pro camera, reviews are only so good, its better to hear from someone who uses it (y)

I have been using a 40d for over a year and loved it.

Recently bought a 1d Mkii with a plan of keeping the 40d but honestly its hardly been used since! the AF, build and handling of the 1d has to be experienced:love: . I changed because im doing quite a bit of gig photography at the minute and the 40d was struggling in low light sometimes.

As for the Sigma 24-70. I didnt rate it on my 40d at all. But it pretty much lives on the 1D! Sharp as anything and gives me great results. I too had the sticky zoom ring issues until i accidently had the lens roll off the sofa onto the carpet and its magically fixed :D

I would guess when the new 1ds4 comes out ill be flogging the 40d and trying to pick up a cheapish 1ds2

I thought the 85 f1.8 wouldn't work on it as it was full frame. That will settle that then. Also i take it there will be no problems using either a sigma 105 macro or a canon 100 macro with it?

I use the 85mm f1.8 and the 100mm and the 24-105 on it regularly, it's the EF-S lenses that the full frame cameras don't like. :)

I do portrait and wedding photography with mine and I love it :)

Plenty of stuff in my gallery on here if anyone fancies a gander, all shot on a 5D or 1Ds :)

sorry to be a pain, but does the 1d mk2n have the same autofocus system ??? as I would be using it for aircraft, portraits, maybe even weddings.
I have a few L glass lenses so might as well make the best use of them

Looks like the posts crossed :LOL:
Well Thompo you have answered my question and so has Ali(y)
I will get rid of the 30d and keep the 40d as the back-up, and start looking for either of the MK2 1D bodies.(y)

thanks for the help

Back