Canon 1Ds mk3

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Need some opinions you good people. I own a 7dmkll which I love and isn't going anywhere. However, I have convinced myself I need a cheapish F/F body for when circumstances call for it. Now bear in mind it has to up to being up in the Cairngorms in the middle of January and waist/chest deep in water with me....thoughts please.

P.S what I want and I actually need are two completely different things.

I have a 7D and 1D MK3.
Not the same as 7D MK2 and 1Ds MK3 I know.

The weight on paper is only a few hundred grams more but its much larger as well and feels much different to use.
I certainly would not bother carrying it around to have FF.
I have a 6D and would swap the thing for a 7D MK2 to have the better AF because FF is not the be all and end all, there are more important things.

I have a 7D and 1D MK3.
Not the same as 7D MK2 and 1Ds MK3 I know.

The weight on paper is only a few hundred grams more but its much larger as well and feels much different to use.
I certainly would not bother carrying it around to have FF.
I have a 6D and would swap the thing for a 7D MK2 to have the better AF because FF is not the be all and end all, there are more important things.

I always use my 7dmk2 with a battery grip as I find it balances better with heavy lenses and a gimbal, so I don't think the size/weight would be that different. As i said the 7dmk2 isn't going anywhere, I could could just do with a second/spare body. The 1Dsmk3 is about the only FF camera I can afford, I can't see the point of buying another cropped sensor.

How about a 5Di? The images it produces under reasonable conditions are very good, not sure about how waterproof compared to 1Ds iii.

I always use my 7dmk2 with a battery grip as I find it balances better with heavy lenses and a gimbal, so I don't think the size/weight would be that different. As i said the 7dmk2 isn't going anywhere, I could could just do with a second/spare body. The 1Dsmk3 is about the only FF camera I can afford, I can't see the point of buying another cropped sensor.

Well try to get a good one. I`m sure there is no way to know their shutter count without sending it to Canon.

How about a 5Di? The images it produces under reasonable conditions are very good, not sure about how waterproof compared to 1Ds iii.
I have been looking at the 5dmkll, but I don't think it has the ruggedness or weather sealing of the 1D, I could be wrong.

Just buy one if you get a good deal. The ones crying heavy can't lift a frying pan let alone their shopping in the kitchen and probably need help climbing up the stairs.

Only 5DIII would be a better all round choice.

Just buy one if you get a good deal. The ones crying heavy can't lift a frying pan let alone their shopping in the kitchen and probably need help climbing up the stairs.

As a former owner, it's not necessarily the weight, more the size. Carrying good full frame glass adds to weight. If it's your only camera and you enjoy shooting casually rather than planned trips, it's not ideal. Having said that, great output, ignore the weather and enjoy using a professional tool. I know I did!

I have been looking at the 5dmkll, but I don't think it has the ruggedness or weather sealing of the 1D, I could be wrong.
The main problem with the original 5D in my opinion is that it's a dust bunny magnet. I used mine in any and all weathers including standing in a river and sensor contamination was the only issue I ever had.

I'm not too sure about the comment about the images it produces under reasonable conditions but I assume that means reasonable light? The highest the ISO goes is 3200 and I used mine at that and got useable results but behind what I get from my Sony A7 these days at much higher ISO's.

Do you know anywhere selling them that tells you an accurate shutter count so I know I'm getting a good deal ?

When I bought a used 1D absolutely nobody stated a shutter count because you have to send them to Canon to find out apparently.

The one I did buy had a shutter button that was almost failing so I can only assume a pro had put millions of shots on her lol.

Do you know anywhere selling them that tells you an accurate shutter count so I know I'm getting a good deal ?

When I bought a used 1D absolutely nobody stated a shutter count because you have to send them to Canon to find out apparently.

The one I did buy had a shutter button that was almost failing so I can only assume a pro had put millions of shots on her lol.
Only models you can't get software to tell you on are the 1D3 and 1Ds3

If I do get one it will be from wex(uk) so it will come with a 12months warranty(not sure if the shutter mechanism would be covered). @LongLensPhotography The 5dmk3 is just a little out of price range, plus I actually like the size, weight, built like a tank 1D. I've now also started looking at the 1Dmk4 for a second body but I keep telling myself it's just a dated version off my 7dmk2. But if I know I'm going out in some really s***ty conditions would I grab the 1Dmk4 instead??....decisions.

Last edited:
If I do get one it will be from wex(uk) so it will come with a 12months warranty(not sure if the shutter mechanism would be covered). @LongLensPhotography The 5dmk3 is just a little out of price range, plus I actually like the size, weight, built like a tank 1D. I've now also started looking at the 1Dmk4 for a second body but I keep telling myself it's just a dated version off my 7dmk2. But if I know I'm going out in some really s***ty conditions would I grab the 1Dmk4 instead??....decisions.

Having had the 1D4, and now the 7D2 - the 1D4 is dated, but still a better camera than my 7D2 in all respects except high ISO and weight. I sold my 1D4 to get a 1DX and later bought a 7D2 as a backup because it was cheap £769.

I have limited experience of the 1DS3 but I rather like it and I love the files it produces. These days it is very "old hat" but that does not stop it producing great images - it is just not as adaptable (ISO) as some more recent cameras.

Just a thought but what about selling your 7D2, adding your savings for the 1DS3, and getting a used 1DX? You will probably have to spend a bit more but I think it is well worth it. The 1DX will do everything that the 1DS3 does and virtually everything that the 7D2 does - only better! True there is a potential loss of "reach" but this is rarely an issue as most of the time my 1DX easily outperforms my 7D2. It is only under ideal conditions that the higher pixel density of the 7D2 is an advantage and then it is not a great advantage - but it is there occasionally. The improvements in high ISO and AF far outweigh the occasional improvement in reach!

Just some food for thought?

@johnf3f As nice and ideal as the 1DX would be it's way out of my(The wife's) price range. As I said the 7dmk2 is ideal for my photography needs which is 85% wildlife and 15% sports. I just have a couple off lenses that sit around gathering dust that I'm, along with a few other bits, trading in that would more or less cover the cost of a pre-owned 1DSmk3 or a 1Dkm4. Now in your opinion what one? Also the only cameras I've ever owned before my 7dmk2 where the 7D and 450D.

Dude your confused, now your talking about a pro sports camera and not FF. I'm off lol

I know the difference between a 1dsmk3(ff) and a 1dmk4(1.3). I'm asking for opinions. You just used the 'dude' word are you 10?

Opinions if you should get a dslr designed for pro sports photographers 1d4 or non sports pro photographers 1ds. Your neither so stick with your 7d mk2 dude

Opinions if you should get a dslr designed for pro sports photographers 1d4 or non sports pro photographers 1ds. Your neither so stick with your 7d mk2 dude

Just sport? So it stops working if I use it for wildlife? While the 1dsmk3 is ff is the 1dmk4 still a better all round choice?

Assuming the 1ds mk3 has the same AF system as the 1d mk4, then this video has a very rough test of the AF systems.
Its a dodgy video and test but I think its results are true. There was a big improvement to the 1d mk4 AF system, it tracks much better and almost all the shots are in focus.
The older models have much more out of focus shots so if you like wildlife or whatever then I would have thought the 1d mk4 is right because you might not see something twice in the wild if you know what I mean.
You might only have 1 chance to track and photograph a rare bird or whatever.

Anyway sorry for my bad comments, I was grumpy - I apologise for my poor attitude

You are more likely to be lied to than get a shutter count on any camera. They will probably tell you file number on a card, which is always under 10,000. So totally fake.
These bodies will be well used, almost invariably >> 50,000 or even 100,000. The way you tell a good one is looking for a body without any major scuffs, paint loss, and working perfectly at 1/8000s shutter speed. The rest is all just a lottery ticket. Some fail very early on.

Reactions: GTG
@johnf3f As nice and ideal as the 1DX would be it's way out of my(The wife's) price range. As I said the 7dmk2 is ideal for my photography needs which is 85% wildlife and 15% sports. I just have a couple off lenses that sit around gathering dust that I'm, along with a few other bits, trading in that would more or less cover the cost of a pre-owned 1DSmk3 or a 1Dkm4. Now in your opinion what one? Also the only cameras I've ever owned before my 7dmk2 where the 7D and 450D.

That was why I suggested a used 1DX. They are not (too) silly money these days.

I use both the 7D2 and 1DX and the 1DX is much better especially the conditions are not ideal - note I mainly shoot wildlife. I am not criticising the 7D2 - it is great for the money but lags behind the 1DX when things are moving quickly. Not really surprising as it is a MUCH cheaper camera! Also the 1DX is every bit as good (better?) than the 1DS3 in the areas where it excels. Remember this is just my opinion based on my experiences/uses so it was only intended as food for thought.

I haven't looked at used 1DS3 prices recently but selling a 7D2 and adding the used price of a 1DS3 would get one part/much of the way to a used 1DX. However if budget is critical then a 1DS3 is still an extremely nice camera for many uses and you would have the advantage of two bodies - could be handy?

As to the 1D4 - well I really like mine! But it spent it's time on the back of 300mm/600mm lenses (and later the Canon 800mm). Great camera, fast/reliable AF, reasonable high ISO (3200 max), batteries last forever (not really!) - just a very nice piece of kit! However I didn't find it that good for general/landscape use. It can certainly do these things but the 1.3 crop can be a pain as well as a bonus! You already have a 7D2 - in my opinion it is pretty close to the 1D4 (sometimes better) for sports/wildlife than the 1D4..The 1D4 is a nice camera but I am not sure it would add much to your kit whereas a 1DS3/1DX would.

Just my thoughts.

That was why I suggested a used 1DX. They are not (too) silly money these days.

I use both the 7D2 and 1DX and the 1DX is much better especially the conditions are not ideal - note I mainly shoot wildlife. I am not criticising the 7D2 - it is great for the money but lags behind the 1DX when things are moving quickly. Not really surprising as it is a MUCH cheaper camera! Also the 1DX is every bit as good (better?) than the 1DS3 in the areas where it excels. Remember this is just my opinion based on my experiences/uses so it was only intended as food for thought.

I haven't looked at used 1DS3 prices recently but selling a 7D2 and adding the used price of a 1DS3 would get one part/much of the way to a used 1DX. However if budget is critical then a 1DS3 is still an extremely nice camera for many uses and you would have the advantage of two bodies - could be handy?

As to the 1D4 - well I really like mine! But it spent it's time on the back of 300mm/600mm lenses (and later the Canon 800mm). Great camera, fast/reliable AF, reasonable high ISO (3200 max), batteries last forever (not really!) - just a very nice piece of kit! However I didn't find it that good for general/landscape use. It can certainly do these things but the 1.3 crop can be a pain as well as a bonus! You already have a 7D2 - in my opinion it is pretty close to the 1D4 (sometimes better) for sports/wildlife than the 1D4..The 1D4 is a nice camera but I am not sure it would add much to your kit whereas a 1DS3/1DX would.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your input and opinions John. You're telling me what I've been telling myself over and again, that the 1D4 is too similar and the 1DS3 would be the better choice. The only niggle that I have is will it just seem too dated. Anyway I'm gonna go and have at look and try both and see what I think. I have to keep telling myself that it's the finished image that matters not all the 'bells and whistles'. Was the auto-focus issue's on the mk3's really as bad as was made out?

Last edited:
Back