Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Just In Case anyone is still looking for stock,

Jessops have them available for Click and Collect at the moment, Oxford St & New Oxford St in London both have stock as do home dleivery

Priced at £5299 but currently 5% cashback on Quidco, so at least thats £250 ish off bringing it down to jusat over £5k not bad for an official UK body at the moment.

Just posting here on the off chance that someone has a spare 1Dx User Manual. My France sourced body came with User Guides in 4 languages but not English. I've got the PDF but a bag sized version would be useful.

Bob

Just posting here on the off chance that someone has a spare 1Dx User Manual. My France sourced body came with User Guides in 4 languages but not English. I've got the PDF but a bag sized version would be useful.

Bob

I would ask Canon for one, you spent enough money on one of their products! ;)

I would ask Canon for one, you spent enough money on one of their products! ;)
I asked my CPS rep over here but he could only offer the PDF download. I've since emailed CPS in the UK but got an "out of office" until 13th reply.

Bob

Bob, Robert Scott Associates is the official Canon UK supplier, here http://www.instructionbooks.co.uk/Canon instruction books/Cameras, Digital (SLR)/eos.html Can't see 1DX listed yet though.
Thanks Richard, I'll keep an eye out. If anybody wants one in Dutch, German or Italian, I'm your man....I'll keep the French version as my best option for now.
It seems that some of the 1Dx's supplied in France came with English user guides and others had Dutch in their place.
C'est la vie

Bob

Canon Bob said:
Thanks Richard, I'll keep an eye out. If anybody wants one in Dutch, German or Italian, I'm your man....I'll keep the French version as my best option for now.
It seems that some of the 1Dx's supplied in France came with English user guides and others had Dutch in their place.
C'est la vie

Bob

You could always just order another camera. Have it delivered to me and I'll bring the English manual over to you in person but keep everything else in the box. :LOL:

You could always just order another camera. Have it delivered to me and I'll bring the English manual over to you in person but keep everything else in the box. :LOL:

The manual and the composite video cable and we could have a deal Vaughan :)

Bob

Thanks for the heads up RE Jessops/Quidco.

Went into my local store today, assistant fetched the box from the back of the store, I explained I needed to pay online to buy the camera (to qualify for the discount), so could they phone the warehouse and say the customer has collected from store.

They weren't interested, so customer walks out and they loose a sale of a 1dx.

Probably not a lot of turnover in there scheme of things, but when you are a chain in trouble then surely you would want all the sales you can get?
I've never been a big fan of Jessops, but they have lost a customer for ever, and have also lost a sale of a 5dmk3 as well.

I've since bought one from another shop, your loss Jessops...

Thanks for the heads up RE Jessops/Quidco.

Went into my local store today, assistant fetched the box from the back of the store, I explained I needed to pay online to buy the camera (to qualify for the discount), so could they phone the warehouse and say the customer has collected from store.

They weren't interested, so customer walks out and they loose a sale of a 1dx.

Probably not a lot of turnover in there scheme of things, but when you are a chain in trouble then surely you would want all the sales you can get?
I've never been a big fan of Jessops, but they have lost a customer for ever, and have also lost a sale of a 5dmk3 as well.

I've since bought one from another shop, your loss Jessops...

Why didn't you just buy on line and select collect from store? You pay the online price when you collect so you get that saving plus Quidco cashback as well.:thinking:

They wouldn't let me, I was standing in store and to get the online discount you had to pay online.
If you selected collect in store you had to pay in store, not getting the discount.

They wouldn't let me, I was standing in store and to get the online discount you had to pay online.
If you selected collect in store you had to pay in store, not getting the discount.

Not correct at all, you still get the Quidco on Click and Collect Orders, you just order online for store pickup, and your card is charged when you pick it up and you get the Cashback. Done it many times...

Shame the assistant and website didn't make that clear.
Bought one elsewhere, amazed Jessops allowed a customer to walk out of the store like that.

Well seems the er.80 is quite annoying.

Mine went down badly on me a few times last night in what was a very very hot and humid venue. Also noticed the AF performance totally dropped off, infact times where it had been focussing easy for the 'same' shot it just didnt want to know.

Email has been sent to CPS as this isnt great. Infact I feel we could have another 1diii on our hands if it gets too severe.

I now will not be getting one of these for a while. Got a spanking deal (and I do mean SPANK ING) on a 1D IV at WEX last week. Only went in for a UV filter!!!

I now will not be getting one of these for a while. Got a spanking deal (and I do mean SPANK ING) on a 1D IV at WEX last week. Only went in for a UV filter!!!

Ha ha brilliant. And the Mrs still thinks you only bought a filter...

Seriously considering dropping the cash on one of these early next year, if the issues get ironed on out them by then anyway. It'll be a massive upgrade from what I currently own, as would a 1D mk iv, although I've grown to love FF!

Treated myself to one the other weekend as my leaving present from covering BSB for the final year.All the big primes have gone and going back to one decent body and a few lenses to keep me happy while spending some time with my two boys and wife for a change at weekends.

So far i am gobsmacked at the ISO handling and what ever they have done to improve the jpeg output straight from camera and the A/F seems an improvement overal.Great to have the menu system similar to the 7D and an extra joystick in portrait mode which is SO MUCH easier to use.
Battery life seems a bit short compared to the MKIV and especially to the MKIII and the only big gripe i had as such was the state of the sensor straight out the box as my track side cameras where cleaner after every meeting than the 1DX was from new LOL.

First outing with it will be at Cadwell for the BSB in a couple of weekends time so well looking forward to having a good couple of days shooting but still think the 1.3 crop was the best for motorsport and if i was carrying on again next year i would of picked two MKIV's up without any hesitation.

Had my first Err 80 today, shooting an interior with 16-35 attached. :shrug:
Shot around 1500 frames since I bought it, at least Canon are consistent with the 1 series....

From digging around look like a firmware update is due at the end of the month, possibly..

Had my first Err 80 today, shooting an interior with 16-35 attached. :shrug:
Shot around 1500 frames since I bought it, at least Canon are consistent with the 1 series....

From digging around look like a firmware update is due at the end of the month, possibly..

Well, that does it for me....I'm waiting for a definite fix.

Its a nightmare ...once i did a google search on the subject that Was it.. thank goodness for the internet and all the poeple who got one early.. can't wait to get one but not until its usable.. every job I do is work/pay so I am sticking with whats working ATM :)

Got any links as I had a quick scout and couldn't see owt.

I'm just short of 400 clicks and nothing untoward so far. I've kept away from custom settings based on some theories being expounded (may be pure conjecture though).

Bob

No err 80 issues since reseting and keeping the camera to factory settings.

Have Canon acknowledged the problem yet?

Ah not like a Microsoft 'feature' then????

Reading around it does seem that it's better with the camera at factory settings.

It will be interesting to see what combination of settings causes it.

e.g. Ivan - what had you changed or is it too hard to say?

Mine err.80 much more when I changed to spot metering.

However the venue that night was very hot and humid something which was mentioned by rukes on potn.

I'm switching back to the standard metering set up this weekend to see if there are less issues with the errors/focussing.

I've had no reply from the cps rep who I contacted over the weekend which is a little disappointing tbh.

It's not a "problem" Robin, it's a "phenomena" that affects a small number of users in very specific situations :)

I googled (adx forum posts) and all I can find is poeple getting the problem.. I cant find anyone saying they havent had the problem.. I know one person from TP who has one with no problem but only got it last week..

I am dying to get one.. but a bit scared off at the moment.. If I thought there was a chance of getting one wihtout issues I would take that chance probably..

It's not a "problem" Robin, it's a "phenomena" that affects a small number of users in very specific situations :)

:LOL:

I googled (adx forum posts) and all I can find is poeple getting the problem.. I cant find anyone saying they havent had the problem.. I know one person from TP who has one with no problem but only got it last week..

I am dying to get one.. but a bit scared off at the moment.. If I thought there was a chance of getting one wihtout issues I would take that chance probably..

From what I read, "bigcountry" over at POTN forum claimed that Chuck Westfall had confirmed that 'Canon is aware of the problem' on the DWF (Digital Wedding Forum).
I'm not a member at DWF so I haven't been able to confirm.
It is one thing to be aware in silence and another to let the 1DX owners know that there is a problem, sorry, a CHALLENGE, :bonk: that needs to be fixed in the firmware.

Last edited:

If its worth anything to you...

My dx didn't fault at all with the big 400 on it shooting 3 of the public Olympic events.

It has failed on me with my fast primes on in very very dark nightclubs.

Hmm the 'in dark xxx' does seem to come up a bit.

It was an incredibly humid venue last week when it really went AWOL. It was also after I decided to switch the metering to spot metering.

I'm back in the club this weekend and will be reverting to the previous weeks settings to see how it goes.

If anyone has any specific stuff they want me to test I'm more than happy to do so, I do still love the camera though. Even when it was playing up I didn't want to go to the back up mkiii.

Last edited:
If its worth anything to you...

My dx didn't fault at all with the big 400 on it shooting 3 of the public Olympic events.

It has failed on me with my fast primes on in very very dark nightclubs.

Cheers for that..but was going to keep the mkIV on the 400 and use the dx for fast primes in poorly lit places..35f2 or 50f1.8 or 135f2 ... and 70-200 mkII of course... honest truth thats the plan ... even looked into a 5III

I cant find as many people wiht no problems as there are with problems.. not focus in low light on single point and stuff like that..

gonna need a couple of firmwares :(

meanwhile the moneys burning a hole in my pocket :(

Back