Canon 1DX release

@ Stewart.
You may want to edit that post. I don't think you are doing Frankie any favours by publishing his direct number and email on a public forum.
All CPS members know who Frankie is and how to contact him. If some don't, they should.

@ Robin.
It is my understanding that hardware is pretty much finalised (they may tweak a few bits here and there but, essentially, is all there. Firmware is a different matter and, it is here (I think) where we can have our say.

@ Gregory.
The answer I had to that question was: "it will be in the shops some time March next year".

Last edited:
@ Stewart.
You may want to edit that post. I don't think you are doing Frankie any favours by publishing his direct number and email on a public forum.
All CPS members know who Frankie is and how to contact him. If some don't, they should.

In which case maybe you should get in contact with Canon and ask them to remove the same details from their own website? :thinking:

Thanks Ivan.

I read somewhere today that they had stopped producing both the 1Ds III AND 1D IV and had moved production on to the 1Dx.

If that is true then they must have a lot of stock of Mk IVs for the next 6 months.

However if they haven't finalised the hardware then they can't be producing it other than for testing purposes.

In which case maybe you should get in contact with Canon and ask them to remove the same details from their own website? :thinking:

I was not aware this information was in the public domain. I always (mistakenly) assumed this information was reserved for CPS members.
So, I stand corrected.

Thanks Ivan.

I read somewhere today that they had stopped producing both the 1Ds III AND 1D IV and had moved production on to the 1Dx.

If that is true then they must have a lot of stock of Mk IVs for the next 6 months.

However if they haven't finalised the hardware then they can't be producing it other than for testing purposes.

The 1Ds MKIII has been discontinued for some time now (although officially only for a few days). I know the 1Dx is supposed to merge the 1D line and, that at some point, it will be the only 1D Canon produces. I am not aware of when or if, the 1D MKIV will be/has been discontinued.

@ Stewart.

I've edited it anyway. It's public information, but on reflection I think it's better etiquette to refer to Canon's page. (Plus, if anything changes, Canon's page has the definitive information.)

As I said earlier in the post, I got my hands on one of these last week at Islington.
Unfortunately the 2 other platinum CPS guys in the room were sports togs and friends of Frankie, so the discussion was very much sports based.
For me this camera is primarily aimed at the sports tog market, not at the wildlife scene as the full frame and lack of any crop factor, not to mention the lack of f8 autofocus makes it a bit limiting, however there is no doubt that Canon have put a huge effort in to the a/f system and it is to be hoped this is a real step forward, although it was impossible to try this out at the show.
As others have said, the f8 a/f is dead in the water, and has been sacrificed for we hope improved tracking etc.
Stuff like face and colour recognition in the a/f is again to me sports related and I suspect we'll see a lot of these in use at the olympics where I'm sure they will be excellent, particularly if the noise claims are fulfilled.
Let's hope that some of the features of the a/f and the sensor noise improvements filter down the range pretty quickly, and the dual joystick is a great improvement compared to the old 1 series models, enabling much easier focus point selection in the portrait mode.
All in all, an interesting camera.

Back