Canon 1DX release

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, here it is. March release and no price yet. Estimated $7000ish.

That'll be £6000 here to start with.

Specifications

Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
18.1MP
Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
ISO 100-51200 Native
100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
61 Point AF
21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
5 f/2.8 Cross Type Senors
EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
12 Frames Per Second
14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
Ethernet Connection
March Availability

Full spec on Canon Rumors page.

This idea of not releasing a price puzzles me, same with the 200-400 1.4x!!

Perhaps they are open to offers!!

Last edited:
It'll have to be near the D3 in price if it's to be a success.
Looks like it's the camera I've been waiting for, at last, a high fps full frame :)

Its got some stuff on it on the CPN homepage. Re-assuringly similar to existing 1D bodies.
Awaiting full road test though before buying one :)
(yeah right at £6K it'll have to wait a bit longer, but it looks awesome)

Matt

Jayst84 said:
Looks like a beast.

Lame name though. X really? sounds like it's marketed at teenagers in the 90s. Not that that matters at all. :D

Most annoying thing is hearing all the Americans crying about the ~$7K price-tag when I paid about that much for my 1D IV. Cheapskates. ;)

'X' due to being the tenth generation EOS body

Last edited:
Can't help with details I'm afraid as canon pr can't seem to send press releases to us with any regularity, as soon as we get something I'll post it

2002 - Original 1Ds $7999 2011 Original 1Ds at the local camera shop £399

2011 - 1DX $7999

..... And a long wait of 9 years until it might be affordable for me.....

DXO mark is pointless - has no real world meaning.

Canon are claiming very impressive high ISO capabillity, with an extended range up to ISO 204,800 :eek: Oooh and new sensor cleaning technology ;)

Will it beat DXOMark's high ISO record of the D3s? :)

March is shipment date...get saving up guys....mind you a new Nikon will be announced before then and we can start the whole nikon/canon thing again......yipeeee!

list price of the 1dmk4 was 5K october 2009
list price of the 1dsmk3 was 8k august 2007

so the list price of 6800 for a camera that is ment to replace both does not seem so bad.

Wonder if there will be a non pro version like the 5D2/1Ds3 with the same sensor (5D3)

out of my price range but spec looks nice with particular reference to the use of a FF sensor and only 18mp. Hopefully canon will have improved their red channel though.

I don't like the idea of a March release, too much time to talk myself into saving up for one!

They should pinch that shampoo slogan.

Take two bottles into the shower?

They must be getting extremely clean files that sharpen well with the new sensor to go for 18Mpx full frame in a high speed sports camera?

The old 1-series:
- 1Ds3 with 21.1Mpx and 6.4 micron pixel pitch
- 1D4 with 16Mpx and 5.7 micron pixels

For the 1Ds studio users to upgrade, images must be extremely clean at 100% crop on low ISO to give up the extra resolution.

If you crop the 1Dx 18Mpx to the APS-H equivalent, you get 10.5 Mpx (my math may suck) at the same field-of-view as the 1.3x crop would give. This is significantly less than the 16Mpx that 1D4 users are getting today.

So what is a sports tog to do? Upgrade his 400/2.8 to a 500/4 and rely on the new precision f/4 AF sensors + cleaner high ISO? Or will the 1Dx produce 10.5Mpx images with so much less antialiasing, pixel crosstalk, yada yada super high ISO that they really CAN get better IQ from a much smaller amount of pixels?

Let's say I was surprised at the pixel count here. For me personally, it doesn't matter, I love this spec and the questions above that came to mind make me think that MAYBE finally Canon is looking to give us great pixels even if it means giving up a little resolution (and they did do it with the G-series). Which is all good in my book, as the signal-to-noise ratio is what gives me my image, not the raw volume of data.

gotta start saving!!!!!

If you work for Getty/Reuters/AP, or you're rich, great, for the rest of us including freelance sports / news, that price will make alot more contemplate moving to Nikon. A used d3s when the D4 comes out could be a much better deal. Probably get two for the same price as this.

I can't really see it replacing the 1Ds either - it's just changing the 1d line to full frame as they should have done last time.

Back