Canon 200-400 f4 i.s with built in 1.4 extender

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Could this be the ultimate wildlife photographers travel lens remembering weight issues on planes. I have a nasty feeling it's gonna be best part of £6,000 pounds though.
Whats your thoughts on this new lens
Regards
Richard

Should be great, heavy, expensive and no doubt a great seller too

Think I will have to wait for retirement money time, could be even more than six grand to start with I reckon especially with the Japan manufacturing problems

I'm sure I'd love to replace my 100-400 with this, but the step up in price will be huge. I think I'll have to wait a year or so until they start hitting the second hand market at reasonable prices!

Nice to see Canon noticing where they fall short against the Nikon range of zooms, and instead of just copying it, creating something potentially better.

I think people have been asking for an update to the 100-400 for the last 5 years! I wouldn't bet on one any time soon.

What about the 100 400? Are they planning to update this one at a reasonable price?

I would think canon probably will as its a good seller

Im glad im not the only one lusting after this lens another i will be interested to try is the new Sigma 120-300 f2.8 with os and new optics :D

Regards

Richard

I'm sure I'd love to replace my 100-400 with this, but the step up in price will be huge. I think I'll have to wait a year or so until they start hitting the second hand market at reasonable prices!

Nice to see Canon noticing where they fall short against the Nikon range of zooms, and instead of just copying it, creating something potentially better.

If you do decide to go for a 200-400 at some point, let me know so I can buy my 100-400 back off you, I miss it already!

Haha, ask me again in 18 months!

I've barely used it so far - bought it to take cricket photos, and the season doesn't start for another few weeks.

I'm going to get one as soon as they hit these shores (y)
Really? You'll be paying a huge early-adopter premium then. I reckon it will launch at £8k or more, and in the long run it will drift down to about £5.5-6k. So the people who absolutely must have it ASAP will be paying an extra £2k+ for that privilege...

You'll have to wait longer than a year.

Ever tried to buy a used 600mm f/4 or 800mm f/5.6? They just don't exist. The reason is that anybody who's plonked down £7k to £10k for a lens falls into one of two categories:
(1) They've thought carefully about the purchase, they've researched the lens and made a big commitment, and they're convinced it's the right thing to do. So, having bought it, they're not going to want to sell it unless their circumstances change dramatically.
(2) The money is immaterial to them. In which case, if they find they're not using it much, then they don't really need to sell it.

What makes you think the 200-400 will be any different?

You'll have to wait longer than a year.

Ever tried to buy a used 600mm f/4 or 800mm f/5.6? They just don't exist. The reason is that anybody who's plonked down £7k to £10k for a lens falls into one of two categories:
(1) They've thought carefully about the purchase, they've researched the lens and made a big commitment, and they're convinced it's the right thing to do. So, having bought it, they're not going to want to sell it unless their circumstances change dramatically.
(2) The money is immaterial to them. In which case, if they find they're not using it much, then they don't really need to sell it.

What makes you think the 200-400 will be any different?

I guess my thinking is that people tend to start out on the zooms, then move to primes and sell, but this will be a lot more than all the other zooms, so you're right in that it'll be a different buying mentality. You do occasionally see some of the longer primes though, I think we've had a 500mm on here recently, and there's a 600mm up on the bird forum now.

Really? You'll be paying a huge early-adopter premium then. I reckon it will launch at £8k or more, and in the long run it will drift down to about £5.5-6k. So the people who absolutely must have it ASAP will be paying an extra £2k+ for that privilege...

I think you are spot on with your price estimates, Stewart, we'll see the approx eventual UK price when the US prices come out.

I also suspect that we won't see the lens till at best the very end of the year, and second hand!!!!....2014!!

What about the 100 400? Are they planning to update this one at a reasonable price?

Many people are waiting for a new version of this lens and have been for many years, perhaps it will happen one day... personally I think it's a very good lens as is, don't bother waiting for a newer (more expensive) version, just get the current one and enjoy using it.

I think you are spot on with your price estimates, Stewart, we'll see the approx eventual UK price when the US prices come out.

I also suspect that we won't see the lens till at best the very end of the year, and second hand!!!!....2014!!

I suspect it'll be cheaper to fly to the US to buy it, than buy it over here. Then again, I don't know what sort of mark-up Kerso charges.

We'll know the exact price when they release the US price.

£ = $ in photography money :shake::(

I suspect it'll be cheaper to fly to the US to buy it, than buy it over here.
£ = $ in photography money :shake::(
Can we put that myth to bed? It's simply not true.

Let's look at the Canon 600 as a reasonably comparable example. B&H in New York are selling it for $8,799. At £1 = $1.60 that's £5,499. Add on 6.9% import duty and 20% VAT and that's £7,055. But there are several respectable UK retailers who will sell it to you for less than that - it's currently "only" £6,450 - and in stock - at Jessops.

Last edited:
StewartR said:

Let's look at the Canon 600 as a reasonably comparable example. B&H in New York are selling it for £8,799. At £1 = $1.60 that's £5,499. Add on 6.9% import duty and 20% VAT and that's £7,055. But there are several respectable UK retailers who will sell it to you for less than that - it's currently "only" £6,450 - and in stock - at Jessops.

You are forgetting the fact that in the US they also have import duty and sales taxes. The Voigtlander Nokton F1.1 is $999 in the US, it's also available for £1049 over here. At the end of the day, the man is right $ = £ more or less and not all of that is down to tax and import duty.

You are forgetting the fact that in the US they also have import duty and sales taxes. The Voigtlander Nokton F1.1 is $999 in the US, it's also available for £1049 over here. At the end of the day, the man is right $ = £ more or less and not all of that is down to tax and import duty.

No, he's right on this one actually.

You are forgetting the fact that in the US they also have import duty and sales taxes.
No I'm not.

Prices advertised on US web sites do not include sales tax. If you were to buy at the B&H shop in New York you would pay 8.875% sales tax, making the Canon 600 cost $9580 instead of the advertised $8799. I'm assuming that as a non-resident you would be able to have that sales tax refunded.

US import duty on lenses is only 2.3%, as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure you couldn't have that refunded, but even if you could it wouldn't change the conclusions.
The Voigtlander Nokton F1.1 is $999 in the US, it's also available for £1049 over here.
Maybe. But that's hardly mainstream equipment, and it's not a relevant comparison. We were talking about big Canon telephotos.
At the end of the day, the man is right $ = £ more or less and not all of that is down to tax and import duty.
No. Let's look at those Canon prices again:

B&H in the USA: $9580 including sales tax = $8799 without sales tax = $8601 without import duty = £5376.
Jessops in the UK: £6450 including VAT = £5375 without VAT = £5028 without import duty

Basically, the UK market is more competitive. Jessops are receiving £5028 for the lens, which covers what they have to pay Canon for it, their costs, and their profit. B&H have £348 more to play with. And yes, taxes are higher in the UK, but that doesn't mean that the end price to the customer is higher.

As I see it, the real message on this is that if you buy an item in the first year or so in the UK (and I'm talking about the pro/semi pro stuff which has a longer life and a higher ticket price) then you'll pay for the privilege however in the US the launch price is pretty well what you'll pay over the lifetime of the product..ok it may come down slightly, but not to the extent that it will after a year or so in the UK.
The mistake people make over here is to assume you can bring it in to the country from the US and not pay the VAT and duty.....not to be recommended!..if you are caught it's big trouble although I'm sure lots do it.

In the US you don't pay sales tax if it's shipped out of state, however you will pay shipping costs, usually a lot less than the tax if it's an expensive item.

No matter how you look at it, the 200-400 is going to be expensive...!!

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

It's not worth trying to kill the myth. No matter how many times you point out the facts you'll still find Daily Mule readers spouting out their rubbish about 'Rip-Off Britain'. Quite why they get such enjoyment from endlessly berating their home country I cannot fathom.

the_womble said:
Been told likely release date is August/September 2012

Really? Would you care to identify your source, so we can judge its credibility?

That's an interesting date: it would mean just missing the Olympics. Canon do generally make every effort to get their new toys into the hands of the pros when the whole world is watching, and they'll definitely bust a gut to ensure there are adequate stocks of the 500 II and 600 II before July. Maybe this one might be less of a priority, since it's not so obviously useful at a sports event?

Hmmmm, I would have thought they would want to release this in time for the Olympics next year an not afterwards. I guess we shall see.

There was no mention of it at the 2011 British Birdwatching Fair at all, whereas all the new mark II lenses were available to test (300 f/2.8 II, 400 f/2.8 II, 500 f/4 II and 600 /f4 II).

I think this lens is still a while off yet and will be in excess of £5k for ever more.

Last edited:
I'd expect it to come in at around £7500ish to begin with, its certainly not going to be cheap.

This might be of interest to a few. Size comparison based on mount and plaque size, fairly chunky lens. Probably my dream 'final' lens. Need alot more to go before I even contemplate purchasing it yet though :p

Canon_super_tele_comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I would have thought they would want to release this in time for the Olympics next year an not afterwards. I guess we shall see.

Togs at the Olympics will be using primes at this sort of focal lengths.

Back