Canon 200-400 with 1.4 extender announced

For a lot of pros the convenience is worth 12k.

======

For the purpose of comparison.

From heaviest to lightest.

4.50kg - EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
3.92kg - EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM
3.85kg - EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
3.62kg - EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X
3.19kg - EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM
2.52kg - EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
2.35kg - EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Not quite sure of your point... The lens is now becoming available at £10.5 K, and will surely drop further, probably I'd suspect to under £10K.
It certainly is heavy, just how heavy I'll find out in a couple of hours at Calumet!!

I'm sure it will be interesting, but not sure how many individuals will be spending that kind of money.:shrug:

Not quite sure of your point... The lens is now becoming available at £10.5 K, and will surely drop further, probably I'd suspect to under £10K.
It certainly is heavy, just how heavy I'll find out in a couple of hours at Calumet!!

I'm sure it will be interesting, but not sure how many individuals will be spending that kind of money.:shrug:

It is being offered to choice clients for 10,200 CAD now.

Whenever buying a super teles people often forget lens weight. It can spell the difference of the lens being used or being left in cold storage.

I'm sure it will sell enough for Canon to make a tidy sum. :nuts:

I expect prices to stabalize in 6-9 months.

After reading reports about this lens I would love one but would need to sell the house or a few body parts to afford it.:LOL:

It is being offered to choice clients for 10,200 CAD now.

Whenever buying a super teles people often forget lens weight. It can spell the difference of the lens being used or being left in cold storage.

I'm sure it will sell enough for Canon to make a tidy sum. :nuts:

I expect prices to stabalize in 6-9 months.

Well, Dolina, you will make us all jealous over here, that's a huge discount, even after VAT is accounted for, for any other price I've seen even in the US!!
When you say"Choice clients" what do you mean?
George.

Well I've just come back from Canon's road show at Calumet in Glasgow.
They had all the super tellys (but not the 400 DO) on show, and it was very interesting to do some comparisons.

The 200-400 +TC is certainly a very sharp and superb performing lens, and takes a further 1.4 converter (On selected bodies).
AF is excellent, and the newish IS also great, but personally I'd hate to have to hand hold this lens for any length of time....in fact I couldn't!!
So we come back to the alternatives, and really if you use these focal lengths in their entirety, of course no single lens covers the spectrum.
If you were to spend a lot of time travelling and space was at a premium, then this is an ideal lens, however there is no doubt that it is extremely expensive and very heavy, and personally I'd go down a different route, with a combination of bodies and lenses...and use a 400DO!!..it's just as sharp.
Be interesting to see how the sales hold up after the initial interest!

The other super teles are well known, nice to feel the weight reduction esp in the 400 2.8, and certainly when I compared my mk1 300 2.8 plus 2x TC mk3 and the mk2 300 2.8 plus 2x, the major difference I felt ,apart from the slight weight loss, was the new IS although when I compare the sharpness of the two files, really I couldn't tell the difference.
I think the 1 Dx af system has markedly improved the af on this combo, and really I couldn't justify upgrading to the mk 2 from the mk1 300.

Bit rambling when I read this, however the main points come over.

George.

Nope, do they include VAT?.......but not getting involved in that discussion again!!

Despite my post in June above, I've upgraded to the mk2 300 2.8, and with the mk3 t/c it's really excellent, the af with the 1 Dx is still very fast and also, my old favourite, the 400 DO is performing splendidly with the 2X.
I strongly recommend that anyone looking for a reasonably priced super tele looks at the 400 DO plus extenders, second hand they can, surprisingly in my opinion, be picked up quite reasonably.

I am hoping to borrow a 200-400/TC in March for a safari, which for me is the ideal use for this lens, as frankly, IMHO it's too heavy for hand holding for any length of time.

Will report back on thoughts after that!!

George.

Digitalrev now offering it for £7,899. Getting interesting?
£10,133 including import duty and VAT. That's still a bit cheaper than the best UK price (£10,299 from Dale Photographic) but I think the price still has some way to come down.

£10,133 including import duty and VAT. That's still a bit cheaper than the best UK price (£10,299 from Dale Photographic) but I think the price still has some way to come down.

Aye, Stewart, if you want to own it in the US and can get it shipped from B and H, you'd pay about £7000!! ...so allowing for previous calculations I reckon this will end up about £9000 or a bit less over here.......still a very expensive and heavy lens.

Its a vomitingly stupid amount of money to spend on what is basically an f/4-f/5.6 lens
I tend to agree....I'd love to see a Canon equivalent of the Nikon 80-400 which by all accounts is a very good lens indeed.

Aye, Stewart, if you want to own it in the US and can get it shipped from B and H, you'd pay about £7000!! ...so allowing for previous calculations I reckon this will end up about £9000 or a bit less over here.......still a very expensive and heavy lens.
Ooh, that is interesting. $11299 = £6875 at today's exchange rate, which is £8819 including import duty and VAT. The UK retail market is generally more competitive than the US, so that suggests the price here could end up around £8800 or so. But currently the UK retailers are still charging the 'early adopter tax' which - for reasons I've never understood - US retailers don't bother with.

It's currently being knocked out for 11,749 Euros (£9750) on the High Street here in France...about £550 cheaper than UK store prices and worth the extra shipping if somebody's desperate.

Bob

It's currently being knocked out for 11,749 Euros (£9750) on the High Street here in France...about £550 cheaper than UK store prices and worth the extra shipping if somebody's desperate.

Bob

Blimey, Bob, cheap lenses AND cheap wine!!!!! should I consider moving?....you'll be telling us next that your politicians have affairs!!!...if the vote goes the wrong way in this daft referendum I might be tempted!!!:runaway::exit:

.....if the vote goes the wrong way in this daft referendum I might be tempted!!!:runaway::exit:

If the vote goes the wrong way then you might not be able to....you might cease to be an EU citizen (valid for either of the referenda)

If the vote goes the wrong way then you might not be able to....you might cease to be an EU citizen (valid for either of the referenda)

Don't depress me any further...!!!

Back