Canon 20D cleaning

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

Before a weekend of hill walking in mid-Wales I swapped my 50mm 1.8 for my 18-55 lens. After a few hours of walking about I noticed a small bug (<0.5mm) walking around inside the camera, I took the lens off and tried to get him out with no luck. A few hours later I took my camera out to check on the current situation to find some small black spots when looking through the viewfinder (these black spots are not on the lens as they are visible with no lens attached). I was wondering two things.

1. Is it possible to clean the camera out yourself with some kind of kit? If so, where could I get a kit from?
2. Is it possible to get it professionally cleaned and/or serviced. Would canon be the only people to do this and what might I expect to pay?

Thanks for any help :)

Speak to the nice people at Calumet they offer a superb sensor cleaning service for about £35 IIRC, your nearest store would prob be Bristol, thats of course if you dont fancy cleaning it yourself.

EDIT: Just checked the site - looks like they don't offer the sensor cleaning service at the Bristol store - sorry!

Speak to the nice people at Calumet they offer a superb sensor cleaning service for about £35 IIRC, your nearest store would prob be Bristol, thats of course if you dont fancy cleaning it yourself.

EDIT: Just checked the site - looks like they don't offer the sensor cleaning service at the Bristol store - sorry!

Great stuff, thank you!

Seems like there is a wide selection of cleaning kits, I thought it would be quite basic. How did you check where does the cleaning service?

Still open to suggestions and experiences of using other companies services and products.

Very easy to do using eclipse fluid and pec pads. Takes about 30 seconds once you get used to it. 2 drops of fluid on the pad, set your camera to cleaning mode. 1 swipe of the pad one way then turn and do it the other (get the right sized one) and that's it. Switch the camera off and attach your lens - should be job done.

Very easy to do using eclipse fluid and pec pads......

I'd caution against using Pec Pads, they are for lenses. The manufacturer (Photosol) has a warning on their website to this effect and their "Sensor Swabs" are the correct item. See the warning in the lefthand column of the Photosol webpage.

Bob

I'd caution against using Pec Pads, they are for lenses. The manufacturer (Photosol) has a warning on their website to this effect and their "Sensor Swabs" are the correct item. See the warning in the lefthand column of the Photosol webpage.

Bob

Let me correct my statement!! it's sensor swabs I use! Sorry

Back