Canon 24-105 f4 Mk2.........

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
I don't often get excited about new kit but It is said that the Canon 5d4 will be announced on August 25th.

What excites me more is the rumoured upgrade to the 24-105 mm f4 kit lens which will apparently be announced at the same time.

Given the quality and usefulness of the Mk 1 I can't wait to get hold of the Mk 2 when it is available. Maybe a little bit wider at the wide end, though........here's hoping.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mk2 upgrade will be like. I bought the Canon 5Ds and had nothing but problems with the Mk1, so got the 24-70 Mk2 but now miss that extra from 70 - 100mm now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mk2 upgrade will be like. I bought the Canon 5Ds and had nothing but problems with the Mk1, so got the 24-70 Mk2 but now miss that extra from 70 - 100mm now.
What problems have you had?

Its by far my most used lens of my FF bodies, its a stellar performer.

Maybe the new model will have less barrel distortion. That's the only drawback I have found with the Mk1 and it is easily corrected in software.

i suppose there's always room for a bit more sharpness although in real life the Mk 1 has always seemed adequate to me.

Maybe the new model will have less barrel distortion. That's the only drawback I have found with the Mk1 and it is easily corrected in software.

i suppose there's always room for a bit more sharpness although in real life the Mk 1 has always seemed adequate to me.

Mine's very sharp indeed. The only thing negative I can say about it, as you've already said, is a bit of barrel distortion at the wide end but that's easily corrected.

Last edited:
I expect the odd tweak here and there and improved IS. The trouble with wanting to upgrade will be the terrible price you'll get for the old one when there are thousands for sale. I might turn mine into a coffee mug.

I expect the odd tweak here and there and improved IS. The trouble with wanting to upgrade will be the terrible price you'll get for the old one when there are thousands for sale. I might turn mine into a coffee mug.

Why not just carry on using it? [emoji3][emoji3]

The Mk2 probably won't realistically change your images much!

What problems have you had?

Its by far my most used lens of my FF bodies, its a stellar performer.

It was fine with my 5D Mk2, but was shocking with my 5Ds. Barrel distortion and keystone being the real issues. I do miss that extra reach though.

It was fine with my 5D Mk2, but was shocking with my 5Ds. Barrel distortion and keystone being the real issues. I do miss that extra reach though.

I've used it in a 5ds it worked as well as on my 6d (my go to camera) It has barrel distortion (that's not exclusive to the 5ds!) but as I say, that can be fixed very easily and is a bit of a non issue.

Keystoning can be an issue with any wide / UWA lens and is down to the field of view and angle of the camera, nothing to do with the lens itself?

Last edited:
I've used it in a 5ds it worked as well as on my 6d (my go to camera) It has barrel distortion (that's not exclusive to the 5ds!) but as I say, that can be fixed very easily and is a bit of a non issue.

Keystoning can be an issue with any wide / UWA lens and is down to the field of view and angle of the camera, nothing to do with the lens itself?

Understand what your saying Jim, but mine was very poor sadly. Not to worry though as a nice excuse to get the 24-70.

Unless the new one offers something very special I'm pretty certain to stick with what I have. Sharpness is good enough, I wouldn't describe it as stellar but it's fine, I can see room for improvement but I expect the cost will outweigh the benefits for quite some time as there won't be any trade in allowance to speak of.

I sold my MK1 and went to the 24-70mm, but wish I hadn't. Nothing wrong with the 24-70 in fact quite the opposite, but just loved the versatility of the 24-105 and was thinking of getting another. Will now probably wait for the new version or price reduction on the MK1

I had a mk1 when I got my 5d lll but imo it was only good for the extra reach, the copy I had, the optics seemed a bit soft when focusing. Ofc it isn't a patch on my 24-70 f2.8. I hope the mk2 is going to be a lot better.

I had a mk1 when I got my 5d lll but imo it was only good for the extra reach, the copy I had, the optics seemed a bit soft when focusing. Ofc it isn't a patch on my 24-70 f2.8. I hope the mk2 is going to be a lot better.

Of course they're soft "when focusing", it won't be in focus?

Last edited:
I'm sure the new lens will be fabulous. Every one of Canon's new and updated MkII versions have been very good indeed, but with the 24-105/4 I can't see me changing unless it's cheaper than expected. The current lens is a brilliant all-rounder with high sharpness, great range, close focusing, good IS, not too bulky...

The new lens will be a bit sharper, particularly towards the edges at f/4 and at the long end, but it will not be much and it'll take immaculate technique with a 5DS/R to get the full benefit. It'll have less distortion, and the IS will be tweaked to the latest version, size and weight can't really reduce much.

Sigma also has a 24-105/4 OS Art. It's optically better, but not much, is significantly heavier, takes 82mm filters, and is only slightly cheaper than Canon. It's been a slow mover...

Last edited:
In fact the reviews I've seen so far don't seem to rate it too highly - optically anyway. If that's the case it's a real disappointment.

Yes, me too. And like everyone else I'm a bit surprised it's not a bigger improvement. It's a fine lens for sure, but the Mk1 is already pretty good. And disappointed too, but I'll certainly not be swapping my Mk1 now, so that's saved a few quid.

You could get sigma at the fraction of cost - probably a little sharper too. Or you could get 24-70mm f/4 IS + 70-200mm f/4 on the used market for the same price... That tells me the mk2 will have to get cheaper, a lot cheaper soon

Looks as though there is a Service Notice on this lens published on Canon USA.

Seems to be an issue with peripheral AF points not attaining focus when lens at the wide end on some copies with serial numbers starting 48, 49, 50, & 51

Back