Canon 24-105 f4 or the canon 24-70 f4 on a 7d for landscapes mainly

Name
Miriam
Edit My Images
No
Hi I'm new here and I wanted to ask all users on their preference. I want a good walk around/landscape lens looking to spend up 600 refurbished/used I rented the 24-105 and it was ok but I've seen amazing images on the 5d ll and lll with this lens. Thoughts on both? Tia

No expert here, although I do have a 24mm-105mm.
Just a thought, as you are using a crop sensor camera, then maybe at 24 mm wide (38mm) FF equivalent, then maybe neither lens would be ideal for landscapes. Perhaps an EF -S 17-55mm f/2.8 would be better.
The 24-105 is probably the ideal walk around lens on a FF sensor.

Last edited:
No expert here, although I have the 24mm-105mm.
Just a thought, that as you are using a crop sensor camera, then maybe at 24 mm wide (38mm ish ) FF equivalent, then maybe neither lens would be ideal for landscapes.

I would have to agree, for the conventional landscape the 24mm isn't that wide on a crop body, sometimes even 17/18mm doesn't seem wide enough.

I think these are not great for landscapes on a 7D because at the widest it is equivalent to around 38mm. Look to a good quality lens around 16-35mm such as the f4 L lens and/or the 10-18mm EF-S.

Canon, along with other marques, have made quite significant progress in the optical qualities of their recent zoom lenses but unfortunately the 24-70/4 seems to have bucked the trend. The MkII versions of the 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8 along with the 16-35/4 raised the bar (and our expectations) but the 24-70/4 is simply pretty ordinary and it's only real attribute is an excellent IS system.

On a crop body, look towards the 16-35/4 and then maybe grab a cheap, longer prime to compliment it if you feel restricted in the medium telephoto range.

Bob

The 24-105 is stunning on FF but for cropped bodies you're better off, as said, with the 17-55 f/2.8 if wide zoom is what you want.

Remember though, you don't need wide or ultra wide for landscapes. I've shot many landscapes with 105mm primes and a 70-200.

With a wide you run the danger of getting a lot of foreground and not a lot else!

15-85 is a stunning lens extremely sharp and perfect for a walk about lens. I use one on my 7D

15-85 is a stunning lens extremely sharp and perfect for a walk about lens. I use one on my 7D
+1 recently got one of these for my wife and have been very impressed with the results.

Yep 15-85mm on a crop. An excellent lens.

Canon, along with other marques, have made quite significant progress in the optical qualities of their recent zoom lenses but unfortunately the 24-70/4 seems to have bucked the trend. The MkII versions of the 70-200/2.8, 24-70/2.8 along with the 16-35/4 raised the bar (and our expectations) but the 24-70/4 is simply pretty ordinary and it's only real attribute is an excellent IS system.

On a crop body, look towards the 16-35/4 and then maybe grab a cheap, longer prime to compliment it if you feel restricted in the medium telephoto range.

Bob
I've just bought the 24-70 f/4 and I have to say it's a fantastic lens. I read the (mixed) reviews on it before purchase but decided I'd see for myself. It's significantly sharper than my 24-105, less distortion and lighter, feels a lot more balanced on my 5D3. There is noticeable vignetting at f/4 and some at f/5.6 but I can correct this easily enough.
The macro is fantastic, pin sharp.
For me anyway it's the perfect FF walkaround lens for my 5D3 and at £540 after cash back it's seriously good bang for buck.

Back