Canon 24 - 105 L Lens

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Does this lens suffer from Vignetting???

At the wide end, it's marginal on an APS-C sensor body but very noticeable on a FF body.

Bob

is it a fault of the lens that canon made?

Vignetting isn't really a fault but simply a fact caused by limitations in the design. There are certainly more expensive lenses out there that also exhibit vignetting to a greater or lesser degree.

Bob

Care to tell me what other lens have this as I dont want to by a lens that suffer this as I hate vignetting

The wide end of a 16-35L on an FF body, most of the range of a 17-40L on an FF body, 24-70L wide end when wide open on an FF body....the list goes on....and on...and on.
It might be easier to say which lens you're looking at and what sensor size you're going to use it on.

Bob

Right I have a Canon 40D

Lens I am looking into getting are

Canon 24 - 104 L for a walk around lens
Canon 70 - 200 F4
Sigma 100 - 300 plus TC

Right I have a Canon 40D

Lens I am looking into getting are

Canon 24 - 104 L for a walk around lens
Canon 70 - 200 F4
Sigma 100 - 300 plus TC

On a 40D, the 24-105 will vignette a little at the wide end, the 70-200 isn't noticeable and I've no idea about the Sigma...sorry.

Bob

Why cant canon sort something out and stop the lens vignetting? It sill spending £££ on a expensive lens and it Vignetted.

What about the 24 - 70 L

Why cant canon sort something out and stop the lens vignetting? It sill spending £££ on a expensive lens and it Vignetted.
That's because you're spending £££ and not ££££££££££££. Get real.

What about the 24 - 70 L

The 24-70L isn't too bad....there'll be a little on the wide end on a crop body.

Vignetting isn't something to sort out...for Canon or anyone else for that matter. Lenses produce round images and sensors are rectangular so the corners of the sensor fall into an area receiving less light than the centre.

A zoom lens gives you various options as far as usage goes. You can use it through the zoom range and through the aperture range but there are combinations of zoom and aperture where light falls off at the edges. If this was to be prevented then either the zoom range or aperture range would need to be restricted and that would be a limitation.
Think in car terms.....
Your car will do 7000rpm in 1st gear but will only reach 4500rpm in 6th.
Should the rev limiter always cut in at 4500 just because it can't get above that figure in all gears?

If you buy a 24-105 and consider it to be a 35-105 then you'll be fine....used at f/4. The alternative is to stop down a couple of stops....the 24-105 at 24mm and f/8 will have negligible or no vignetting.

Bob

The question is "Does the vignetting cause a real problem. On a 40D I doubt if you will see it. I use this lens on a couple of FF bodies and to be honest it isn't a problem

But I then again use Coking filter and i been told even if I have the top end filter it catch the holder?

Hi, Rookies,
I'm afraid that vignetting of some degree is a fact of life for most of us however expensive the lens. The simplest solution imo is to allow for it in composition and then crop it out.
Andy.

That what I though... and to be honest i do crop most of my pictures anyway :bonk:

That what I though... and to be honest i do crop most of my pictures anyway :bonk:

Unless you've reached the limit at the long end, why are you cropping and not framing it correctly when you take the shot?.....that's the biggest advantage of a zoom lens.

Bob

Depends if I can frame it... If I can frame I dont crop if I cant frame it I then crop... that is with my 17 - 40 ;) That why I want a longer lens like the 24 - 105 as it will help me to frame better

Sorry what DPP?

Ah... Cheers for that mate

Tiny bit, easily corrected in DPP 3.3.x under lens aberration correction / peripheral illumination. A proprietary term for vignetting.

Nothing to worry about.

.....or Lightroom. Takes about 7.4 seconds to do depending on how quick you are with a mouse.

Wonder if it can be done in Aperture???

Back