Canon 24-105

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
This is my first post so hi to everyone. This is a great forum and it has given me some great advice. I know this has been asked before however it always drifts of topic. I have the Canon 70D and I would like to know if the canon 24-105L would be worth my while taking to Yellowstone. I have just got this lens and have not used it yet. I am also taking the Canon 100-400L, 17-40L, Sigma 10-20 f4 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 what I really want to know is the 105 ok on a crop body.
Thanks

Nice to see you, I'm also returning to the forums after a long hiatus!

I think it depends on what you plan to do whilst in Yellowstone; if you're going just to do e.g. nature/bird shoots and landscapes then there might not be much point since the other lenses would have that covered quite nicely. Personally, I use the 24-105 on my 7D and find it quite versatile. When I'm walking around with no specific shots in mind it stays mounted probably 90% of the time; if I've got ideas for shots it's not suited to I will obviously swap to other lenses. It has a nice reach at the long end if something springs up that's a bit far away.

Looking at your lineup, I would consider taking the 24-105 and leaving the 17-40, as you have the 17-50 2.8? Then you have everything from 10-400 covered. But I definitely advise just going out with the 24-105 for a half day shoot and see how you get along with it, everybody's style is different!

Hi
This is my first post so hi to everyone. This is a great forum and it has given me some great advice. I know this has been asked before however it always drifts of topic. I have the Canon 70D and I would like to know if the canon 24-105L would be worth my while taking to Yellowstone. I have just got this lens and have not used it yet. I am also taking the Canon 100-400L, 17-40L, Sigma 10-20 f4 and the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 what I really want to know is the 105 ok on a crop body.
Thanks

Welcome to TP :)

You have an odd collection of lenses there, with too many overlaps, and both the 17-40 and 24-105 are designed for full-frame cameras. They will work fine on your 70D, but can never be used to their full potential.

Unless you are planning a move to full-frame very soon, a better balanced and higher quality lens set would be Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS (or EF-S 15-85 IS), then also something longer. Unless you need 400mm, the 100-400L is a big lump to carry. A Canon 70-200/4 or 70-300L would be more manageable.

Thanks guys
Yes I am hoping to go to FF end of the year and yes I do have a bit of an odd lens collection. So moving on to my next question is the 5D III a good choice. Photography is only a hobby for me so I don’t take it too seriously. I have done it for a long time my first camera was the Canon AE1 however I am still crap at taking pictures.

Thanks guys
Yes I am hoping to go to FF end of the year and yes I do have a bit of an odd lens collection. So moving on to my next question is the 5D III a good choice. Photography is only a hobby for me so I don’t take it too seriously. I have done it for a long time my first camera was the Canon AE1 however I am still crap at taking pictures.

Full-frame puts an entirely different spin on things, due to the crop factor. Your current lenses will behave quite differently so don't buy any more until you've made the change! 5D3 is an excellent choice, and my advice would be to make that your next purchase, and build from there. Or 6D if budget is tight.

However, on FF you have a very good three-lens set in the 17-40, 24-105, and 100-400L. No point in keeping the Sigma and Tamron unless you want to use them on your 70D. The 100-400 is still a hefty lens, but on FF you may need the extra focal length more than at present. Suggest suck it and see.

Hi

I had a 7D with 24-105mm great combo, what I liked was the IS I notice the other lens you have except long lack that and if you hand shoot you can go slower shutter without needing to raise ISO of course not much good if your subject is moving

5D3 would blow your socks off perfect upgrade from yours excellent low light only issue is if you need focal length it gets very expensive and heavy :( o_O

Back