Canon 24-105

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I've lent my canon gear to a friends dad and just got a text that there is an err01 message coming when the above is on my 6d.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

Yes its one of the more common errors for this lens. Usually the ribbon cable has broken. Most repair places can fix it easy enough. You might want to try cleaning your contacts on the back of the lens and on your camera (carefully) first though.

Or it might have an accident at home
Yes, that's a really good idea. Submit a fraudulent insurance claim and boast about it on a public forum. What could possibly go wrong?

As said, I think you might wish to reconsider the fraudulent insurance claim, particularly now it is broadcast for all to see.
As regards ERR01. It is a common (some might say notorious) fault which develops with the 24-105L when the ribbon cable to the iris diaphragm fractures.
When mine did it, I took it to an independent repairer just outside Maidstone in Kent who was recommended to me.
The cost was around £105 for the repair, if memory serves, as I delivered and collected the lens to him.
Much cheaper than a new lens, but still annoying. Canon should have resolved the issue years age (IMHO).

The insurance claim was a joke, havent actually got my hands back on the lens so not sure entirely what the damage is, I spoke to one firm in London yesterday who quoted me between 150-200, first place i have spoken to so not sure if it was high or realistic, perhaps Looking at colins cost it was high

As said, I think you might wish to reconsider the fraudulent insurance claim, particularly now it is broadcast for all to see.
As regards ERR01. It is a common (some might say notorious) fault which develops with the 24-105L when the ribbon cable to the iris diaphragm fractures.
When mine did it, I took it to an independent repairer just outside Maidstone in Kent who was recommended to me.
The cost was around £105 for the repair, if memory serves, as I delivered and collected the lens to him.
Much cheaper than a new lens, but still annoying. Canon should have resolved the issue years age (IMHO).

So I've got the lens back now, it does seem very intermittent but I've now seen the error in person, did the repair work or did the issue come back?

He wants to trade gear but obviously I need to get this fixed but don't want it to come and bite me in the arse a few months down the line.

Canon Elstree us where I would send it.

I was going to call them, will give my local shop in leeds a shout as well to get an idea of the cost, what warranty do you get from Canon on their work?

So I've got the lens back now, it does seem very intermittent but I've now seen the error in person, did the repair work or did the issue come back?

He wants to trade gear but obviously I need to get this fixed but don't want it to come and bite me in the arse a few months down the line.

The repair has resolved the issue with mine, there has been no recurrence (nor would I have expected there to be, given that it is a known issue).

Is this fault definable to any specific age or factory(if they were built in more than one?)

Or more generalistic???

The repair has resolved the issue with mine, there has been no recurrence (nor would I have expected there to be, given that it is a known issue).

Do you mind if I ask you the cost to repair?

Do you mind if I ask you the cost to repair?
£105.00. I delivered and collected so there were no postal charges in my case. Turnround was about a week. I could give you his contact details via PM if you wish - although, as I say, he is in Maidstone, Kent so not exactly up the road from you :)

Last edited:
£105.00. I delivered and collected so there were no postal charges in my case. Turnround was about a week. I could give you his contact details via PM if you wish - although, as I say, he is in Maidstone, Kent so not exactly up the road from you :)

Thanks Colin i may we come back for his details

So local camera shop in leeds believe it's £275 and vat, this seems way over it's value so reckon it will be moved on as broken

So local camera shop in leeds believe it's £275 and vat, this seems way over it's value so reckon it will be moved on as broken

Well, it's under the value of the lens but way too much for the repair.

Try Miles Whitehead (MW Camera Repairs). I suspect he is the same person as referred to above. He repaired my 24-105 with the same error message for £105.

Friendly and reliable service. I would strongly recommend him.

Try Miles Whitehead (MW Camera Repairs). I suspect he is the same person as referred to above. He repaired my 24-105 with the same error message for £105.

Friendly and reliable service. I would strongly recommend him.

Thanks Grumps, I spoke with Alan from the other referral and While I will have to wait for him to be free to do it i think he seems worth the wait

Well, it's under the value of the lens but way too much for the repair.

The problem with the Quote for me Jim is that when its back its worth £450 at best, they appear to be selling for around £250 broken on fleabay, So i reckon I'm worse off, plus they weren't even going to repair it but send it off to Canon which i could easily do myself...

Check out this listing on eBay

Pretty sure my Brother in Law used him. Very happy.

They send them on I'm guessing to canon so will leave but thanks for the recommendation

They send them on I'm guessing to canon so will leave but thanks for the recommendation

Not sure why you think that?
They're never gonna send them on, get it back. Pay Canon prices and return to you in 3 days for that price.

Back