Review Canon 24-105F/4 IS

Edit My Images
No
Having just bought one of these, I thought I would share some experiences of the lens in the real world.

By that I mean that I won't be reviewing pictures of boxes or anything.

First thing to say is that the lens, as expected is very well built; I tried a 28-135IS - and that is flimsy by comparision.

Being an L you do get the lens hood (EW-83H) in the box together with a soft bag.

I have found the lens to be very sharp and I can't say the extremes have been any worse or better than the centre - but then I am using it on a 350D 1.6 cropped body, so I'm not seeing the edges of the lens.

This is one of the first shots I took, which shows several things, sharpness, contrast and colour.

flower.jpg

This next shot is from the same day, and is of my sister, taken indoors, @ 105mm, ISO100, f/4 and 1/15".

This one shows just how effective the IS is, although I would have braced myself against the edge of the chair I was sat on.

sister.jpg

The final couple of shots are of the same image - this time my youngest daughter. This was taken at 84mm, f/4.0 1/125, ISO200. The second shot is around a 100% crop.

casssieframed.jpg

100crop.jpg

This really does show how sharp this lens can be.

AF is relatively quick and locks on quietly and with little hunting.

I have found that nailing the focus to be relatively difficult - although I think that is down to the body and not the lens; the AF points on the 350D are quite large I think, and accurately selecting the eye for example is difficult. That or my technique needs working on!

It is also not a lens for fast action - using AI focus/Servo the AF just isn't fast enough - but then this lens isn't designed for action.

Handling on camera.

I find that the weight of this lens is perfect on my 350D (I do have the grip) it balances well.

Its a lens that will see a lot of use.

Cheers for that Anglefire, it's a lens I'd look at myself. Find the 17-40 just stops that little bit too short sometimes when on walkabout :puke:

This is a fine lens and out of four L's this is the only one that I've kept and which seems to offer a worthwhile advantage over the cheaper third party competition around this broad 'walkaround range. Very good clarity and saturation. A tad short means it's not quite ideal, but close and you can work around it or pack a widey too. I usually take my 15-30mm EX out as well but rarely need it.

Build to me is good tho' still a little on the plastic side, but that is a subjective assessment. A little more refined looking perhaps in design terms than the Sigma EX's but no better built really. The extending barrel is especially cheapy looking. Works very well tho' and the AF and IS really do add value.

excellent review!

Thanks for the comments - one thing I didn't mention was the price - and its not cheap! But for some (me included!) its worth the money. And the colour and contrast is consistant with my other L's which is a benifit I think!

Back