Canon 24-105L, new or used..?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been offered the above lens for £600 used, it is a 2006 copy and looks in great condition, though its a good £25 in petrol away for a pick up only. I see that Kerso has them advertised at £715, albeit a white box version (which i assume still comes with the pouch and lens hood).

Is it worth the extra £100 for a brand new lens and are his warranties good for Canon UK, i think he provides a UK invoice, does that get around the lenses only having international warranties which i have heard are tricky to deal with if there is a problem.

I bought new from K with no probs, they all seem to be about £700 ish at the moment
with case and hood, Hdew do £715 with free p+p,
Jim

Ian's warranties are fine, all lenses are world wide anyway, you should have no problems on that score.

However if the £600 lens is fine, it's worth a look-will the seller come down on that?..I'd have a try, only £100 less than a new one isn't much.
George

The £600 is already down from £620. As its about 80 miles away and they want cash on collection im thinking once i have fuelled the car and got the obligatory macdonalds, we're talking £630 and suddenly 4 years newer with a 12 month warranty seem tempting.

I've heard a few negative things about HDEW, is this true? Kerso seems to get universal praise. how is he on delivery times?

Notwithstanding Hdews reputation which I can't comment on, it appears the lens is £699 there. Whether it is in stock or not is another matter...

Delivery is good.
I ordered a 24 - 105 from him on Wednesday and it was delivered first thing today ( Friday)

Yeah the lens not being in stock is a worry, i have to leave the country on the 27th so the last thing i want is a disappearing lens and/or money!

Its worth shopping arround for a "white box" ex 5D Mk2 kit lens. You can often get a cracking deal on these-try Digital Depot or Park Cameras for starters!!

Chap selling July 2010 white box kit lens on avforums for £600, UK lens and will forward me receipt for warrany. Sounds like a winner

Chap selling July 2010 white box kit lens on avforums for £600, UK lens and will forward me receipt for warrany. Sounds like a winner

seems to be the best option..

otherwise, I'd personally pay the extra £100 for a new model rather than 2006. I know lenses should last long time, but still.. £600 seems a bit high for a 2006 unless it's in excellent condition..

While buying s/h is cheaper I found the 24-105 holds its price quite well so good ones go for over £600, I decided to pay the extra £100 for a new one from Kerso. This way I know it's history from day one and get the peace of mind if it's a dud(unlikely) I have a warranty.
|Is the extra worth it for you? It was for me ;)

seems to be the best option..

otherwise, I'd personally pay the extra £100 for a new model rather than 2006. I know lenses should last long time, but still.. £600 seems a bit high for a 2006 unless it's in excellent condition..

While buying s/h is cheaper I found the 24-105 holds its price quite well so good ones go for over £600, I decided to pay the extra £100 for a new one from Kerso. This way I know it's history from day one and get the peace of mind if it's a dud(unlikely) I have a warranty.
|Is the extra worth it for you? It was for me ;)

Yes I'd agree with the above, if you can get the virtually new one for £600 with full warrenty, seems a good buy, if you're unsure at all with anything, I'd opt to pay an extra £100 and get a brand new (y)

I was in the same position as you recently and opted for the used one. I paid £600ish but it was mint and only 2years old - for me that was worth the £120 saving. But if I had the cash I would not hesitate in getting a new one from Kerso vs. a 4 year old one.

Back