Canon 24-105L Question

Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning fellow photographers,
I am looking at a new zoom lens, and are in two minds whether to chance the 24-105 L to go with my 7D. I currently have a canon 100mm macro which is stunning, a canon 50mm prime, Sigma 10-20 wide, canon 75-300mm, and the canon 17-85 IS.
I have been reading mixed reports about the 24-105 L, +'s being image quality, durability and colour, -'s being cost and the frequent chance of the Error 01 message coming up. Has anyone had any experiences with this lens and more so, error messages?? It seems that Canon are brushing this issue under the carpet and not commenting on it, and its only this lens it 'occasioanlly' occurs on.

I woul really value your feedback, and any other suggestions for alternatives.

Happy snapping!!
Guy

Had mine about a year now and no problems, realy sharp lens ,and ideal as a walk about.(y)

I purchased mine new in 2009 and it has performed faultlessly. Built like a house brick and a great all round lens. Never had any errors come up and can't find anything negative to say about this lens.

Ian

I've only had mine 2 months - bought used from a fellow TP'er and it's a great addition :) no issues whatsoever

Hi Guy,

I've had my 24-105 for probably about 5 years and have shot around 10,000 pictures with it - have never seen an error message because of it, and very happy with the overall performance. It is fair to say that it is not as sharp as a prime (my 100L Macro is definitely sharper) but unless REALLY peeping at the pixels, I would say the quality and sharpness are very good.

Mine doesn't get much rough treatment, but I would have never thought of build and durability being an issue with it.

I bought one from another TP member a while ago. Really liked the lens and was getting better at using it, then had the Error 01. (Not having a go at the seller, it was OK when I got it - **it happens).

Ive just spent £180 getting it sorted by Fixation and received it back yesterday. Not had chance to get it back on the camera yet but looking forward to doing so.

From what I've read, there are occasional problems with this lens but difficult to put a figure on it - lots of people who "know someone that had the problem".

Another fan of this lens, great range and good quality images. Yes not as sharp as the 24-70 or 70-200 but perfect as a walkabout lens with the added benefit it is relatively light and compact.

Donald

I've also purchased one from TP, only used it twice since, but it has produced amazing pictures once I got used to it. Really great focal range. I've used the 24-70 as well, I personally did not see much difference, but the 2.8 is good to have.

My 24-105 f4 L is my go to lens for everything general. I have a long zoom for aviation and wildlife and a macro for close ups but everything else in between is game. I've got 3 nice enough primes, but unless I'm shooting a specific length then the 24-105 is the one. Had mine around 8 months and it's been extensively used on a 550D, 60D, 7D, 5D2 and a 5D3 and never had a problem or error message, just a lot of very sharp photos.

I've had my 24-105L for over 4 years. It is with me every day at work and out and about as a walk about lens at weekends. It has been used on a 5D, D60 and EOS 3.

I've never had a problem with mine. Faultless performance and super images.

However, reading through the problems others have had it looks like the problem can occur in year 4/5.

Last edited:
It's a great walkabout lens. Had mine for just over a year with no issues, and it was second hand.

I love mine. I'm on my second one and regretted selling the first one.

I've been using only this lens at the moment and it's producing some great images. This thread is the first place I've heard of the error code and to be honest, buy new and you shouldn't have problems.

Guys, thanks so much for all the replies. Really helpful and put my mind at ease with regards to getting on and not worrying about the error messages.
The other thing I would like opinions on, which I am maybe considering now instead/also of the 24-105L, is the 70-200L F4 IS.
I know its quite an expensive lens, but I am considering getting rid of a couple of lenses and replacing with this. I hear the quality and colour are amazing.
Is it reasonably safe buying second hand lenses? I guess going to reputable shops/sites with reviews is the safest way, but is it worth saving money and going second hand, or save a bit more and buy new?

Thanks again guys, I look forward to hearing from you
Guy

Another quick note, if anyone might be considering selling, or knows someone who might be selling a 70-200L f/4 IS, I might be keen to make some offers.

Thanks,
Guy

Back