Canon 24-70 2.8 L mk i vs tamron 24-70 2.8

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys looking for a little help here, Ive recently moved from Sony over too canon, and I got my self a 6d. I got a 50mm 1.4 and a 70-200 f4, I think I would rather the flexiblity of a 2.8 zoom, now I've been doing a bit of research and I've found wex have a canon mki 2.8 for 720 rated as 9. Is this a good price for a 2nd hand copy? Haven't seen any come up on the forum lately. It comes with 12 months warranty too.

Second option is the tamron version, which you can get for around 670, I've read some good reviews on it, But I've seen somewhere about "quality control" issues, but it does come with a 5 year guarantee which is very handy.

I would like the canon version but I'm just wondering whether it would worth while buying 2nd hand over the new tamron. So I'm looking for opinions on both lenses,

I would like to say the canon mkii is an option but I just don't think I can justify the £1400 price tag!

The 24-70 2.8 mk 1 is a beautiful lens. It's easy to be spoilt by the mk 2 which is even better, but don't let that put you off getting the mark 1. it performs day in, day out. It's heavy, but you expect that with a quality 2.8 zoom. Personally I'd go for the Mk 1. Wait... that's actually what I did go for. and I'm very happy with mine.

I know it's neither of the two you have mentioned but I use the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 and I love it if that helps at all!
Its super heavy but that might be down to the fact im just weak haha!
I love the quality it gives and it's cheaper than the tamron. You can get it for £520 on Amazon.

May not have helped you at all there but thought I'd pop a reply incase it might!

I've watched a lot of reviews as I've just bought the mk II version, the canon mk 1 is still better than the Tamron, @720 it's near top price as they were a little over 1k new before being discontinued. I think it's worth a punt and WEX have a 28 day return if it isn't what you expected.

I used the Canon Mk1 before and its a great lens, especially for the price you can get them for.

However I'm now using a Tamron 24-70 (albeit on a Nikon these days) and it is simply stunning, more than a match for the current Nikon 24-70 IMO.

But (and its a big but) you are dead right about the quality control thing. I was extremely lucky with mine and its an excellent copy. I have however been on the wrong end of 'bad' Tamrons with other lenses of theirs. It took me three 28-75s before until I found a good one, so if you do decide to go for one make sure its somewhere you can return it.

When you do get a decent one though they are worth it. If I was buying another Tamron I would make sure it was from a bricks and mortar shop where I could physically test a few copies to make sure I was getting a good one. I wouldn't risk buying grey / mail order (which is usually how I purchase lenses).

Tamron 24-70 is generally better than the Canon mark I if you can get a good copy. Therefore it needs to be somewhere you can either try before you buy or can return it if there are any quality control issues

Canon mk1 can be amazingly good if you get a peach copy. It is well built, looks good, produces sharp images with rich colours. Focusing is very quick. The drawbacks are fairly visible distortion at 24mm, boring 8-point aperture if you shoot landscapes and design flaw with lens collar. From experience this needed replacing (£120) every 2-3 years simply because the lens is too heavy for the part to support. If you get s*** copy you will absolutely hate it. It is best to carefully test one prior to making a purchase.
Tamron I believe is not built very tough so best to buy new with full warranty. Again they can have very variable calibration.

It is impossible to say which of the 2 random copies will perform better, except Canon AF is better and Tamron has VR.

Not tried either but I've read the bokeh is also better on the Canon.

The Tamron can have that onion ring effect

Not tried either but I've read the bokeh is also better on the Canon.

The Tamron can have that onion ring effect

I doubt that's important for lens < 70mm max at f/2.8. There are primes and 70-200mm for bokeh :)

That's true daugirdas, but it's still there to a degree if you want it.

From looking at samples, both are very sharp but the out of focus highlights look a little smoother and nicer on the Canon to me.

Not that I can afford either at the moment :whistle:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! I think I am swaying towards the tamron, just because I'm always a little cautious of buying second hand. Although wex do offer 12 months warranty with their used stuff. Hmm!

For those with the tamron do you feel the focus is slow? I've seen a few comments saying it's slow?

Just unboxed my Tamron 24-70 today and, from the little testing I've done, it's amazing. Haven't noticed any sort of focusing lag with VC turned on or off and the VC is a huge bonus.

Anyone who says this thing isn't well built has clearly never held one - it's solid. Not quite up there with a Canon L lens but, hey, what is?

Thanks for all the replies! I think I am swaying towards the tamron, just because I'm always a little cautious of buying second hand. Although wex do offer 12 months warranty with their used stuff. Hmm!

For those with the tamron do you feel the focus is slow? I've seen a few comments saying it's slow?

Focus is fine. Not quite as quick as the Nikon 24-70 but its fast enough.

Have the Tamron 24/70 and it took a 3rd copy from Amazon to get a perfect one but it was worth the wait. Quality piece of glass, built solidly, fast af and handy VC / IS. Wouldn't be without it now and teams well with my 70/200 2.8 Tamron.

Have the Tamron 24/70 and it took a 3rd copy from Amazon to get a perfect one but it was worth the wait. Quality piece of glass, built solidly, fast af and handy VC / IS. Wouldn't be without it now and teams well with my 70/200 2.8 Tamron.
You say it took 3 copies, what was wrong with the first ones? And chance of seeing a couple of sample pics?

I would be interested in seeing the pics, when you say issues with the VC, could you elaborate?

The issue with the VC was it softened the image a hair while pixel peeping. It was a none issue really that you couldn't see under normal circumstances but as i was paying that much money i was getting a perfect copy.

exif intact:

@ 35mm 2.8
IMG_1223.jpg

tight crop
IMG_1223-2.jpg

@61mm 3.2 - SOOC no sharpening etc.
IMG_4460.jpg

tight crop
IMG_4460-2.jpg

Last edited:
Well I bit the bullet and decided to go with the tamron! just got to do some thorough testing to make sure it's a great copy!

Back