Canon 24-70 f2.8

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently purchased from MPB a Canon 24-70 f2.8 lens, how can I tell if it is the Mark 1 or mark 2 version ?.

They look different and they are extremely easy to tell apart side by side.

maxresdefault.jpg

i wouldn't call it a slip up unless you intended to buy the MK2 and of course the price you paid would also need to be taken into consideration

the MK1 is a perfectly good lens just enjoy it

Thank you for your reply, I say a slip-up because I have only just changed from Nikon to Canon so would have liked the latest lens. I do not intend to get rid of the lens tho.
I don't think I could dare to spend more money on photographic equipment or it could be divorce.

Thank you for your reply, I say a slip-up because I have only just changed from Nikon to Canon so would have liked the latest lens. I do not intend to get rid of the lens tho.
I don't think I could dare to spend more money on photographic equipment or it could be divorce.

what reason did you change from nikon to canon ?
i'm genuinely curious

what reason did you change from nikon to canon ?
i'm genuinely curious
I have been asked this many times, the best reason I can think of is that I had lost my mojo hoping this would get me back on the road again. That is of course when I have fully recovered from spinal surgery and able to walk further, I am told I could be another 4 to 8 months before that happens, at the mo I am restricted to only walking a short distance from the car for my photo's.

Last edited:
I have been asked this many times, the best reason I can think of is that I had lost my mojo hoping this would get me back on the road again. That is of course when I have fully recovered from spinal surgery and able to walk further, I am told I could be another 4 to 8 months before that happens, at the mo I am restricted to only walking a short distance from the car for my photo's.

thanks for answering my question
i wish you a speedy recovery i have suffered with my back for years but not to the point of surgery and have some idea of how it can affect you

You didn't slip far ;) The Mk I is still an excellent lens and has that (almost) unique 'zooming' lens hood feature that stays optimum at all focal lengths (y) It's a shame they missed that off the MkII; Nikon did the same.

One of the great things about photography is how well it sits alongside and enhances just about any hobby or pastime, in addition to being a skilled craft and art form in it's own right. Should get you up and about :)

If mobility is limited, there's a lot of pleasure to be had in macro work, often without even leaving the house. Or a bit of home portraiture? If a pukka macro lens is out of budget for now, a set of extension tubes will do much the same job for a fraction of the cost.

I would agree, the difference between the Mk1 and the MK2 is not that huge compared with the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 70-200mm f/2.8.
I upgraded two years ago and did mention my doubts about upgrading in the sales post on here.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-24-70mm-f-2-8-l-usm.612056/

Good luck with your lens and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Back