Canon 24-70 f2.8L or ???

Name
Paul Buckley
Edit My Images
Yes
I should soon be have some spare cash available and am thinking about getting the 24-70 f2.8L.

Does anything else come anywhere near it in terms of IQ and performance?

I presently use an EOS 30D, hoping to soon upgrade to a 7D or 5DII.
I shoot mainly landscapes and scenery, with a bit of everything else thrown in.

Is the 24-70 the way to go, or can anyone recommend anything else?

BTW, it will be my first bit of L glass.

That was my fav lens when i shot Canon.. its a fab piece of glass, and versatile too.. well worth the money and beats anything other than primes in the canon fit range...

24-70 with the 5dMk2 is a fantastic combo. The only strange thing is that my 24-70 used to live on my 400D - putting it on a FF camera was like starting from scratch and getting used to it all over again - I had some difficulty with portrait and street stuff at first strangely. Mistakenly, I let the better cropping potential of the camera compensate for that for a while, but that's a fool's economy ultimately when you want large prints. It's by the by anyway as I've now adapted fully ;)

Blue Eagle's right about the landscape stuff - it's been a revelationary combo, and as time goes on I'm beginning to think that I might not bother with getting a 16-35 as I've not experienced any major limitations yet.

The 24-70 lived on my 5dmk1 and now it lives on my 5dmk2

That says all tbh (y)

On full frame, 24-70 or 24-105 are fantastic.

But not nearly so good on crop format. EF-S 17-55 is way more useful and just as sharp, f/2.8, and has IS (y)

I would recommend the 24-105, it's an amazing lens. Great range and a pretty wide aperture (f4).

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I've not really considered the 24-105 because I want the low light capability of f2.8.
If I decide to go for the 7D, I will have to cnsider the EF-Sn 17-55 2.8.

I've still got a while to think about it anyway.

24-70 is amazing. The tamron 28-75 is also very good and quite a lot lighter & cheaper, thought the build quality is nowhere near as good and the feel of the images is different (and it's not as wide, obv.). Does it work on full frame? I had it on a 1.6x

I love my 24-70, its a great heavy lump but its an amazing lens. Ive not found anything to complain about it at all.

I have the 17-40mm and on full frame its just not a walk about lens- so I am saving hard for the 24-70 or 24-105 :)

I recently purchased a 24-70 from a member on this forum and I have to say it is by far the best purchase I've made in terms of photographic equipment apart from my 5dmk2. It is truly fantastic. I keep looking for shots where I'd have to force myself to use a different lens but this one has pretty much kept the 17-40 off my body. Amazing piece of kit.

If you look at the 2nd hand market, the 24-70 comes up infrequently, but the 28-70 which is the predecessor does seem to come up more often and In my opinion, there is very little to choose from between the two. The last generation of L series glass is much the same as the current...eg. the 17-35L and the 28-70L.

Keep a look out, they're A LOT cheaper than you'd be paying for a new/used 24-70! Then you can buy something else with your spare cash as well!

24-70 is amazing. The tamron 28-75 is also very good and quite a lot lighter & cheaper, thought the build quality is nowhere near as good and the feel of the images is different (and it's not as wide, obv.). Does it work on full frame? I had it on a 1.6x

It works on my 1D mk.III 1.3x crop, so yes. I'd recommend the Tamron too but I'd say go "L" if you have the cash to spend. :)

Back