Canon 24-70mm as a macro lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
I had a few questions about this lens' macro mode (I couldn't find answers easily), I wonder if anyone here can help...

How is the sharpness past f/5.6 in macro mode in comparison to dedicated macro lens?

Is it possible to achieve 1:1 magnification using extension tubes with macro mode or would it give 1:1 with 1.4x TC (I know canon TC won't work, I mean something like kenko 1.4x)

I wonder if anyone has used this as a macro lens and what their experiences were?

Last edited:
HELP!!!-------Hi folks .just your average 78 year old trying to figure out how to make this GRRRR!! behave....thus the HELP
How to answer the above...''Nandbytes re canon lens...insertion of avatar....posting some prints
relevant to ''Macro''....John ''corncrake''

Last edited:
are you trying to post pictures? you could try posting a link if you are having trouble...

My apologies...Was unable to send photos as I was tied to having three posts prior to being able to use ''Links''
My lens is a dedicated 50mm macro ,...screen is split focus ,can be a bit of a sod to work with,...camera must be rock solid steady ......John.

Nandbytes,

I really like Macro photography. Bought the Canon 100mm Macro with a dedicated flash ring.
I am not at all a pro on macro but I am happy of what i shoot
A fabulous piece of kit.
Some are also using this lens to shoot portrait, but i have never tried tho

Butterfly Park-8115.jpgButterfly Park-8165.jpgButterfly Park-8176.jpg

Last edited:
I understand a dedicated macro lens would give me good/better results. But currently more interested in finding out the macro capabilities of the lens in OP i.e. canon 24-70mm f/4

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that particular lens I use dedicated macro lenses
But check out the pinned threads in the macro section there is a lot of information on using close up filters and extension tubes

I already use extension tubes, think I'll simply invest in lighting/flash to be honest. That's my biggest bottleneck.

I love the 24-70 f/4 lens. I got one a few weeks ago to replace my big and heavy 24-70 f/2.8 mkii. So far ive not found anything to complain about. I wasn't ed to dabble in close up/macro, and this seemed to offer the best of both worlds.
Ive not done much as far as extreme macro goes (i haven't tried my tubes on it) but to my eyes the sharpness enlist stands up to my f/2.8, even in macro mode.

Thanks Dave, it'd interesting to test it out with a 1.4x kenko TC at some point in macro mode.
As per my math
0.7x1.4 = 0.98 magnification which is close enough to 1:1

Look forward to your findings :)

I did notice your post on classifieds ;)
You'll have a decent working distance with a dedicated macro lens which is a major advantage. I use a canon 100mm f/2, so I am somewhat not keen on having same focal length duplicated.

I was originally going to get the 100mm f/2.8 L, but at the last min i decided to get the 24-70 f/4. Partly as i wasnt sure i would like macro, and secondly as i have the 135L i felt getting a 100mm lens was a bit too close if i decided to just use it as a normal lens.
I dont regret this move, as ive not touched my 24-70 f/2.8 mkii since getting the f/4, but now im happy to go for the 10mm and sell the 135L.

Another alternative is the 85 1.8 and tubes

You'd need 74mm of extension (tubes) to get 1:1 with 85mm/1.8. think one is better of using raynox 250 with the 85mm/1.8 or the 100mm f2 that I own.

No I personally haven't. Think I'll start making baby steps and perfect my technique and evolve it as I go along. I am going to start making by a diffuser out the Pringles box for a small kit flash (good excuse to finish it in one go :D ). For macro I can easily get 1:1 and beyond with my canon 40mm and ext. tubes and I also have a macro modded EF 35-80mm.

All that aside this thread is to explore+workout the capabilities of the canon 24-70mm macro mode especially with TC/ext. tubes.

Back