Canon 28-105mm II USM - Opinions.

Name
Peter Barber
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Folks,

I took an eBay madness moment and bid £80 on a Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5II USM , and to my surprise I actually won. For once the eBay auction didn't go loopy in the last minute.

Anyway I now think I probably need to sell one of my other lenses to help fund my addiction. (maybe some day I will actually take a picture).

My choices are, get shot of the kit lens, which is about two months old, but will I miss the wide angle wiith the difference between 18mm and 28mm, as I live in N.Ireland, I would be likely to take alot of landscpae shots.

Other option would be to get rid of the nifty fifty (which I have about a week). Will the 28-105 give me the same sharpness I would get from the nifty fifty.

Amy help would be appreciated, and if you see me trying to buy something on the classifieds, refuse to sell to me.

A lot will depend on the quality of your individual lens, and only some test shots will be able to uncover that.

However, I would be tempted to keep the nifty, the f1.8 is VERY useful (especially as the 28-205 is quite slow).

Do you use the wide end of the kit lens much? If so, then what about picking up 10-20mm or similar to replace the uber-wide side.

Cheers,
James

A lot will depend on the quality of your individual lens, and only some test shots will be able to uncover that.

However, I would be tempted to keep the nifty, the f1.8 is VERY useful (especially as the 28-205 is quite slow).

Do you use the wide end of the kit lens much? If so, then what about picking up 10-20mm or similar to replace the uber-wide side.

Cheers,
James

I use the wide abit, and will someday no doubt get a 10-20mm or 10-22mm, but that will be awhile of yet.

In terms of sharpness will the 28-105mm, give me what I have from the nifty fifty?

I would be surprised...the Nifty is one of the sharpest lenses out there under £300, but it all depends on the quality of your new one. I have to say that they don't have the great record for sharpness, but these things means nothing as quality varies so much.

Cheers,
James

Now you've got me worried, I knew the mark 1 version was not great, but the mark 2 version was supposed to far superior. What I was really after was an upgrade to the kit lens.

I think it will be still be an upgrade for the kit lens, for sure - but you're comparing one of Canon's best lenses (the Nifty) to something quite 'middle of the range' so judged purely on sharpness, the nifty is likely to win out. Not to say that the nifty doesn't have its drawbacks!

Panic not, wait for it to arrive and try it out - who knows what it'll be like until you've given it a good test. If you can, A/B it with some shots from the kit lens and/or nifty fifty to give you a point of reference!

Cheers,
James

I had the 28-105 mkII a few years back and found it to be pretty sharp when stopped down to f8 or so but I think the quality does vary a bit on that particular lens.

Thanks

If I am not happy with it, it will go back to the bay, may even make a profit:LOL:

I have the same lens, and nearly all my photography is done on that lens, with exception of sometimes using my 50mm f/1.4 or when I have rented a 10-22 lens.

Its a reasonable lens. Certainly reasonable for their second hand prices. Its a nice range, but definitely not wide enough. It is also slow. Not easy to use this lens inside. The focus ring is nice, and the USM motor is quieter and faster than my more expensive 50mm f/1.4 lens. It feels quite solid, and compared to the cheaper 28-105 plastic thing its a much nicer lens to use. It's ok on the sharpness side of things, but at times just seems inconsistent.

All that said, it's good enough for a stepping stone until you can afford something else. I now want a 24-105, or maybe a 24-70 but haven't worked out if I want f/2.8 or f/4 IS.

Had a 28-105 on an EOS 50 ( still have it) However the lens now resides on my back up back up camera the 300D Keep the lens as it's a usful walk around lens

Thanks folks

It seems tyhat this will be a good stepping stone, but may need to keep my kit lens for another while to cover the wider angle

hi peter did you keep the nifty fifty ? if your selling let me know i might be interested
philip

Will the 28-105 give me the same sharpness I would get from the nifty fifty.

The 50mm is a very decent lens but it is a prime and rare a good prime won't beat a good zoom, and the mk II is a very good zoom. Not 24-105mm IS L class but not far off. It has decent USM AF and pretty sharp, with good natuaral colour and contrast. 28mm is no good for wide angle on a crop body but as you're getting a super-wide that ain't an issue. I would say it is one of Canon's sleeper lenses. it's very good but because people don't talk about it on forum's no one takes much notice. Oh, I did have a copy BTW so not just talkin' out my *** ;-) They usually sell mint/boxed SH for 100-£110 or so. Get the hood for it too.

hi peter did you keep the nifty fifty ? if your selling let me know i might be interested
philip

Hello Phillip,

I still have in my bag, but still undecided whether to keep or sell. You are more than welcome to borrow it for a bit.

I have PM'd youto where I have seen one going cheap.

Back