Canon 28-135 is v Canon 17-85 is ?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone used these lenses care to give an opinion on which one would be best suited as a general walkabout lens on a crop body?

Wouldn't you find 28 a bit long on a crop body? That's about equivalent to a 50 on a FF which is supposed to be a natural view, ie what the eye sees.

For a walkabout I'd want to start a bit wider.

We had the 17-85 but soon changed it for the 17-55 f2.8 because we wanted the speed.

How about the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS. This is an expensive lens, but damn it's worth it. I have to say this is an absolute belter. Sharp as a sharp thing, great colours and contrast and a really useful range throughout on a crop sensor.

I have to say, I wouldn't consider anything else for a general walkabout. I have found it stunning.

I found 28mm a bit too long for walkabout, but paired with my 10-20 it was alright. The extra reach of the 135 was more useful to me.

I since sold mine and went with the 24-105 which is getting on wide enough for a walkabout on a crop body. I miss the 17 end of my Sigma 17-70 though, I have to admit.

How about the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS. This is an expensive lens, but damn it's worth it. I have to say this is an absolute belter. Sharp as a sharp thing, great colours and contrast and a really useful range throughout on a crop sensor.

I have to say, I wouldn't consider anything else for a general walkabout. I have found it stunning.

It's a great lens, but I find 55 isn't quite long enough when I'm out and about. I'm more likely to change lenses to get some length than I am to worry about going below 24mm, for example.

I only find the 28 too long for larger group shots. Most of the time, I want the 135 to be longer....
On the other hand, I have 17mm from the kit lens if I really require a wider angle

Is there much difference in image quality though or is it just what ever focal length you require that should dictate which lens you go for?

i have the 17-85 IS and think it is really excellent. It is pretty heavy though.

I've got the 28-135 IS lens and it's absolutely pin sharp. Very occasionally the 28 is on the long side, but the 135 more than makes up for it. The only reason I'd change it is to upgrade to the 24-105L, but I think that may be a while off :razz:

I agree that the 28-135 is pin sharp and I use it a great deal on my 1.6 crop bodies. The IS is really useful to have too.

Back