Canon 28-70 or 24-70

I'm in the market for a canon 24-70 2.8L but I have also been looking at some very good condition 28-70 lenses as well .
As with all things photography I'd like to ask ypur opinions on whether to go for the 24 or half my purchase price with the 28 . Is the 24 really worth twice as much

A 28-70 isn't half the price of a 24-70 unless you mean MkI?

Worth is only relative to each individual. I don't think there's much between the 24-70 MkI and the 28-70- it really comes down to whether you need 24mm or not. If you do then it answers itself. If you don't save yourself some cash. If on the other hand you want the best image quality buy a 24-70 MkII

In which case I stick to my original point- there's negligible difference between them in the real world other than the range at the wide end so if you need 24mm a 28-70 isn't going to cut it.

You could also look at the Tamron 24-70 VC. Seems to get good reviews although I've not used one so can't say for certain but I've no reason to doubt anyone- Tamron optics are usually very good- maybe not their 10-24 though:p and their new AF motor is much better than the old one.

Pretty sure the 28-70mm is no longer supported by Canon so could end up with a very expensive doorstop

I had thought about the tamron version but I'm.not sure its anywhere near as good as the canon 24-70

Most reviews said it is very close to 24-70 MK2, so it should be as good as old Canon versions if not actually better...

Pretty sure the 28-70mm is no longer supported by Canon so could end up with a very expensive doorstop
This is true although plenty of third parties will still attempt repairs if they can get the parts which is becoming tricky.

The latest tamron is supposed to be very close to the canon's at a much better price point. Personally I'm hoping for a top draw sigma art version with OS to really shake up the market!

See my posts in the thread Tamron 24-70.

The Tamron is a very good lens and well worth you considering.

I've just purchased a mint mk1 24-70 at a great price, thanks for all your replies as always a great community

Back