Canon 28mm f2.8 odd problem.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 28mm f2.8, the original EF one not the IS, and I experienced a strange problem, when I take the filter off the lens stops focusing at about 2 feet, put the filter or the lens hood back on and it goes all the way to under 1 foot.

Anybody got any idea what could be causing this.

That is really weird. I have no idea about it but I'm subscribing to the thread to see whether there's an answer. Hopefully one of the real Canon experts like @HoppyUK or @Canon Bob will know....

The front element isn't loose is it? When you unscrew the filter it could be moving the element forwards slightly which will screw up the AF. Random suggestion but just my first thought!

The front element isn't loose is it? When you unscrew the filter it could be moving the element forwards slightly which will screw up the AF. Random suggestion but just my first thought!
That was my first thought too, but it wont go below 2 foot on manual or auto, very strange??

That was my first thought too, but it wont go below 2 foot on manual or auto, very strange??

Sorry, thought it might have been something simple! What's the filter on it?

Also, when you say it won't go below 2ft, do you mean the actual focus ring stops or the camera just won't get focus?

Last edited:
That is really weird. I have no idea about it but I'm subscribing to the thread to see whether there's an answer. Hopefully one of the real Canon experts like @HoppyUK or @Canon Bob will know....
It's a lens that I've never used so I haven't much in the way of theories, Stewart.

A question David.....
When it's in a the state that won't focus closely (ie, filter fitted), does it focus 'beyond infinity' at the other end? It's hard to see how the range of focus would reduce but it's more feasible that the range is being shifted.

Bob

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what kind of filter is it, it's not a close up filter is it?.

A question David.....
When it's in a the state that won't focus closely (ie, filter fitted), does it focus 'beyond infinity' at the other end? It's hard to see how the range of focus would reduce but it's more feasible that the range is being shifted.

Bob[/QUOTE]
The lens action just stops, the infinity end remains the same, if I try several times the lens sort of jams and I need to try several times with the MF ring to get it working again, really strange.!!

And in case you are wondering, it hasnt been dropped or knocked, lives on my 5D more or less permanantly

The lens action just stops, the infinity end remains the same, if I try several times the lens sort of jams and I need to try several times with the MF ring to get it working again, really strange.!!

Just in case I wasn't too clear on that point. I don't mean that the barrel movement stops at the infinity mark but is 'infinity' blurred when you look through the viewfinder and the lens is at (or close to) the infinity mark?

Bob

Just in case I wasn't too clear on that point. I don't mean that the barrel movement stops at the infinity mark but is 'infinity' blurred when you look through the viewfinder and the lens is at (or close to) the infinity mark?

Bob
No problem on the infinity end, not blurred in any way, pic taken with the lens a couple of days ago,

Spit.jpg

Back