Canon 2x converter L - does anyone use one and how good are they

Name
Glyn
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title says really.... thinking of getting one for a 70-200 f4 L IS USM lens

Thanks

As the title says really.... thinking of getting one for a 70-200 f4 L IS USM lens

Thanks

Hi Glyn

Not used the 2TC, but have used the 1.4TC on a 70-200F4 lens and it was very good - I was using the mkiii TC. I didn't really notice a large drop off in AF performance nor IQ and happily use it if required - only real downside is loosing 1 stop.

Depending on the body you are using, the lens may not AF using the 2TC - as it will loose 2 stops and be F8. Not sure of what the IQ / AF performance would be.

Hope this is of help.

I have them both, use them with 100-400ii and my 70-200/2.8ii, they do effect IQ and AF speed but I find them useful, going that long is not something I do often and given the price and space they take up I think mine are worthwhile, the 1.4iii stays sharp but the x2iii does degrade some. Guess it depends what you want it for but I'm happy with mine. BIF would be a problem not that I shoot birds but AF does slow down, it's still snappy but tracking fast subjects is a problem IMO.

Hmmm... Thanks for all the replies. I would be using it with an EOS 5D 3. I need AF really or do I make do with a x1.4 ?

Hmmm... Thanks for all the replies. I would be using it with an EOS 5D 3. I need AF really or do I make do with a x1.4 ?

5Dmk3 should AF with a reduced number of AF points at F8

David

I had a 2x mk2 which I found pretty rubbish - was very disappointed with its behaviour on my 100-400. I often found I could achieve the same 'quality' by cropping in on the non-extended picture.
So I sold it.

I read good things about the 2x mk3, so I tried again... but again, I'm pretty disappointed so find it not being used - yes it's better than the mk2, but I have still found a considerable iq loss.
This is on a 7D, which is also past its prime! so it might be down to the camera body.
AF will work on live view if you are prepared to use that, and can be quite accurate.

Can you borrow/rent a couple of extenders and see if they work for you?? in hindsight I think I'd have rather got the 1.4 mk3 and sacrificed a small amount of reach.

So, just how mqany stops will I loose with the x2 vs x1.4

On the 70-200 using the x1.4 is going to give me 280mm max but the x2 would give me a 400mm.... Whicj is more of what I was aiming for, for versatility, but if the x1,4 is going to work better on the 5Mk3 regarding AF then I will make do.

Gawd.... Nowts easy id it lol

70-200 with 1.4x convrter will lose 1 stop of light, hence will become f5.6
70-200 with 2x converter will lose 2 stops of light , hence will become f8

I have used my 2x MKIII on 300 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, some drop in IQ but usable none the less, prefer to use the 1.4x ( with 7D MKII and 1D MKIV Bodies)

Stick to the 1.4x Converter at the most, I use a 2x converter for a very very distant subject but less than 1% of my published work simply due to the more IQ, Contrast. Unless you have 70-200mm, 200mm f/2, 3/400mm f/2.8 lenses I wouldn't bother...

The 5D Mark III will autofocus with the 70-200 f/4 and the 2x extender but only if you've updated the 5Dm3 firmware to version 1.2.3 or higher.

And only on the central point as a cross-type.

But it's certainly better than nothing! I have tried the 2x extender with my 70-200 f/4 but certainly wouldn't want to use it in less than ideal conditions.

Trying to use a 2x TC with the 100-400 you asking for trouble, of course you found the performance poor, what did you expect. The TCs are primarily designed to be used with the fast prime lenses like the 300mm f2.8 or 400mm, 500mm. The new MKIII versions are supposed to be better than the MKII versions, personally, as long as you know the limitations of the TC, I've taken some cracking images with the 1.4 and 2x MKII versions attached to a 300mm and 500mm primes, yes you do lose performance with the 2x TC, but not with the 1.4x TC. I've used the 1.4x TC with the 70-200mm f4 and found no real lose in performance, never used the 2x TC with that lens, but think unless light conditions were very good, it would struggle. I've even managed to stack the 1.4x and 2x TC and get a couple of decent images, unfortunately the MKIII versions don't allow you to do this.

The 70-200mm f4 IS a cracking lens, very sharp and fast focusing, probably only beaten by the 70-200mm f2.8 MKII in performance.

If you need 400mm then get a 100/400 lens as its much better than a 70/200 f4 with a 2x converter, then you can sell the 70/200. If you only want a bit more length than 200mm then a 70/200 f4 with 1.4x converter is very good, as before you will only have central focus point with 70/200 f4 and 2x converter and none at all if primary lens is slower than f4 plus 2x converter, OK there are work around like taping up the contacts but they aren't really practical.

Well, I thank you all for your kind and honest answers.
After sifting through all of them I have come to the conclusion that with the f4's I would be a lot better sticking with the x1.4. That gives me 280mm which should be enough to be handy and still meters ok.

Last edited:
I often found I could achieve the same 'quality' by cropping in on the non-extended picture.
I agree and I was using a 400mm f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 mkII

Better results juts cropping in.........

the 1.4 is usable.. the x2 hmmmm not for me.

I posted this in another thread a while back, it was a quick test of the 70-200 F/2.8 IS mk2 and x2tc mk3

It was shot at 400mm, wide open at F/5.6 and is the full image resized to 1200x800, I've then taken a 100% 1200x800 crop from that image and shown that below. (if they look larger than the quoted dimensions, then your browser is upscaling the images)

18987452831_aabc8732e2_o.jpg

18979049022_3ea7969fc1_o.jpg

I borrowed a friends 2x to use with my 70-200 f4 non-is on my 7D. Lost autofocus and it goes to f8. IQ was OK but a bit disappointed really. According to various forums AF should be OK on your 5D3 but wouldn't advise if you want great IQ......

I'm off to see if I can blag his 1.4x which, from what I've read, is better all round.

Nice find Jolyon.... Although the Amozon review does state that although it will work with the 70-200 f4 it can loose focus

Back