canon 300 mm l prime non is

Name
william
Edit My Images
No
hi all
i was looking at this lens for wildlife.and was wondering if it was any good .and what price to pay for a good condition one .
thanks schoy

oh its the f4

Hi

I guess you mean the 2.8 ?
I've got one and it's great but your DOP is limited wide open. I'd say anywhere between £1200 to £2000 depending on condition.
Mine looks like it's been dragged and run over by a tank, but optically it's perfect. I'd like a nice shiny one, just cos I'd feel happier.
It's heavy but balances nicely. The longer lenses get really heavy and impractical for transport overseas, also then you need IS.
Price wise I think the 300 f4 is a nice compromise.

John

I would say price wise, around £600ish?
I also reckon it would be a good lens for wildlife, but you would need to boost iso to gain higher shutter speeds on dull days. Im not sure if im correct in saying this, but i dont think you can get that lens service by canon anymore?(someone correct me if im wrong) Reason being is because i beleive they have stopped producing them. If i was you, save an extra £100-150 more and get a decent second hand Ef 300 f3 IS, They come in at around £750-800 ish.

Hope ive helped,

John

hi all
i was looking at this lens for wildlife.and was wondering if it was any good .and what price to pay for a good condition one .
thanks schoy

oh its the f4

I bought a Canon 300MM F4L recently off TP for £450 in very good condition which I thought was an exceptionally good deal. There's one at Aperture UK for £590 at the moment although it says that it has some fine marks to the front element.

-yes on a dull day you have to pull ISO up.

I think for the price though its really a very good lens. For the price that you pay and the image quality you receive in return I'm not complaining about the lack of IS. - the newer IS version is documented to be less sharp than this lens.

Last edited:
Yeah I have seen them go around the £400 ish mark in the forum. But they don't pop up very often.

Hi

Depending on what happens with my buying/ selling/changing of lenses, I'll sell one if my 300's.

A thumbs up for Aperture in London.

John

Back