Canon 300d

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all, im new to photography. A keen photographer friend of mine is selling his camera as he has just bought a new one.

He is selling a Canon 300D, i was just wondering if this camera would be good for me to get started with?

:)

Hi
It depends on your budget and the price your friend wants, but the 300D is about £300 new with standard lens and is only 6 megapixel.
The 400D sells new for about £400 with the standard lens and is 10 megapixel.
Whichever camera you go for remember its all about the quality of the lens that you put on it.

Good luck.

Well he is selling his 300D for £150 with a sigma lens. He has give it me for the weekend so i can go out and use it, hope the weather gets better.

Im just wondering, being a beginner, is this the right camera to use or should i go for a compact camera like the Canon g9.

I prefer the idea of going for the 300D but at the end of the day i want something thats going to give me the best shots a beginner could get (hope that makes sense)

For that price you can't really go wrong(y) If you were to go for a compact or a bridge and the bug bites you'll only be wanting to upgrade to a DSLR sooner or later so you may as well start off with one as you can get it for a good price;)

Thanks for that, im just wondering if im jumping in at the deep end. Im a newbie to photography and is a DSLR not too advanced for me

The best thing about your situation is that you have the opportunity to buy a good started DSLR for not a great deal of cash - so it wouldn't be the end of the world if the hobby didn't take off like you anticipate it might.

Don't be scared about jumping in at the deep end - there are shedloads of really good books about the 'science' side of photography, and you will certainly be able to get a great understanding of it with the camera you are proposing to get. Plus you are a member here!

And with Canon you are buying into a system you can expand on. If your new hobby takes off and you become the next David Bailey most of the accessories and lenses you buy will be compatible when it comes to upgrade.

Good luck!

Gary

Even a DSLR has the dreaded green square mode (full auto) just look through the viewfinder and blaze away to your hearts content;) Then when your used to how the camera works you can start exploring the options that give you more creative control over your photographs.

Also a good book will really help you understand just what the camera is doing and just what it is capable of.....look for one called "Understanding Exposure"(y) In my opinion every camera sold should come with a copy!

ok thanks alot, i think i will go for the 300D, like you say its a good price. Will just keep it on auto mode for some time. I hope i dont lose interest, being a member here will inspire me more seeing some shots on here. Put a shot of mine in the animals and wildlife section

Hi
... the 300D is about £300 new with standard lens and is only 6 megapixel ....

eh? 300D new? They were superceded by the 350D and then the 400D?
Don't get me wrong, the 300D is a good camera, but it was the first of it's kind and is (imo) a bit long in the tooth now. I had one a few years ago, as my first DSLR, and really enjoyed using it for the 18 months or so that I had it. May not be a problem to you, but the one thing I do remember about it was it's 2 sec start-up time :( Probably a good buy at the price, but, as said above, it depends on your budget...

I started with the 300D. It's a good cam. Not too small either as the 350D and 400D are shrunked down in size. Too small for my hands.
I dont think you'll go wrong

It depends also on how serious you are planning to be about photography!!!

If you are only planning snap-shots then this camera is too complex.

But for a starting point its a good place... i started with an EOS 400D and that has never dissapointed me! ;)

Just want to say I have the 300D as my only camera since its release and its a great camera, yes a quicker 400d/40D would be nice but there's hardly a time when I feel I really want a new camera.

It sounds ideal to me and a bargain to get you going. Certainly it won't be too complex as you can utilise the automatic settings before venturing into the "creative" zones.
In your shoes, I'd grab it with both hands.

Bob

Still got my 300D, I keep meaning to get it converted for IR use.

I still use my 300D as my main camera! I've had it for YEARS now and it's done very well :) It's been all over the world, used in hot weather and in downpours, and it's never failed me. I'd far rather have a 300D+grip than the stupidly small 350d/400d!

Thanks all, think i have made my mind up. Im going to go for the 300D. Suits my budget at the min and i think it will be a good camera for me to learn with. I am serious about photography, really want to learn about it.

Hopefully travelling to South Africa in a year or 2 so maybe i will up grade before i go there

Thanks for that, im just wondering if im jumping in at the deep end. Im a newbie to photography and is a DSLR not too advanced for me

Nothing wrong with a 300D (y)

This was taken last weekend at the TPF Whipsnade meet. It was my 14 year old sons first proper outing with my old 300D. All I did was set the shutter speed & ISO for him at the start of the day & left him to it :clap:

thing.jpg

im leaving it on auto at the min, will have to learn about shutter speeds etc, i tried to take a pic of a waterfall but i wasnt happy with it. I thought the shutter speed needs changing, but didnt have a clue how to.

I wouldn't ever put it on auto. You'll never learn if you do that. Just experiment :)

£150 to get you started you cant go wrong if in 6 months time you have been bit buy the bug you can save up and upgrade, maybe a better lens ect, if not you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it maybe a bit more and get a p+S to stick in your pocket

Back