Canon 300mm 2.8 mk2 or Canon 400mm 2.8 mk1

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hey Folks,

Just looking for a little advise. I’m looking for a telephoto lens to get back into wildlife photography and I’m torn between these two.

The only thing that puts me off the 400mm is Canon no longer repair it.

Just wondering what I should do.

Thanks

Chris

Any of the Canon 300 F2.8 lenses are a great choice - but they are limited in focal length so you tend to rely on extenders. To a slightly lesser extent the same applies to the 400 F2.8 models.

Realistically it is all down to what you are trying to photograph. I like to photograph small to medium size birds so even my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS is usually a bit short! On the other hand for larger mammals (Deer etc) then 3/400 mm is fine.

LLP's suggestion is spot on in my opinion .The 500 F4 is long enough much of the time, takes extenders well and is not stupidly heavy. Add to this they are quite usable without a tripod and pretty damn sharp too. Probably why they are so popular!

The only thing that puts me off the 400mm is Canon no longer repair it.

For wildlife the longer the better... The only thing about canon not repairing a lens is that it doesnt come under CPS .. Otherwise you get someone else to fix it.. had a problem wiht my 400 2.8 mk1 and i got it fixed elsewhere ..

Recently I've been using a 300mm f2.8 ii and x2iii extender on FF.
As a matched set they are superb and I can't fault it.
A colleague raves about his 500 and 1.4 converter.
Any/either/or can produce stunning work, but it does what you tell it to do...

For wildlife the longer the better... The only thing about canon not repairing a lens is that it doesnt come under CPS .. Otherwise you get someone else to fix it.. had a problem wiht my 400 2.8 mk1 and i got it fixed elsewhere ..
Not been on the forum for a while, but glad to hear you got your 400 sorted in the end...thought you'd never get it fixed!!!!

Back