Canon 30D: First impressions

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
New camera arrived on Friday. Not had much time to play with it yet but here is a few initial thoughts. My comments will mainly relate to upgrading from a 350D as thats the only other Canon DSLR I have used.

Pros
  • Handling and general feel much better especially in my large hands.
  • ISO setting and display
  • Viewfinder seems brighter
  • High speed burst mode
  • Large screen
  • 1390mA/h battery
  • Charger indicates % charge of battery

Cons
  • Mode contol knob is smaller and position mark less obvious than it should be
  • Didn't buy the grip at the same time and missing it already :(

A few snaps below - no prizes for quality but thought they may be of interest.
More later.

Front LHS view of 30D with 24-105mm F4L

front-rhs.jpg

Rear view of 30D

back.jpg

Top view of 30D

top.jpg

Size comparison between 30D and 350D

compare-size-30d-350d.jpg

Looks nice. Clean that speck of dust off near the mode dial though ;)

looks great, but i dont see the self timer button on it, and dont recognise the very top button above the menu button.

Boon said:
looks great, but i dont see the self timer button on it,

If it is like the 20D the self timer is on the drive button - single - multi -self timer.

Boon said:
, and dont recognise the very top button above the menu button.

pass :)

RobertP said:
If it is like the 20D the self timer is on the drive button - single - multi -self timer.
Actually single, multi high burst, multi, self timer

The other button is the same as the 350D and is for direct printing. Its below the drive button on the 350D with blue text (you can see it on the side by side shot).

Mark

PS I have removed the spec of dust :)

Very nice - not much else to add to be honest:)

Congratulations:thumb:

Nice camera mate. Put it to good use..:D

looks very nice.

My heart keeps telling me I want one... but my bank balance and my head say no - I hardly have enough time to take photos as it is, and have considered selling all my slr kit more than once...

Nice to see a happy owner

The difference between the 20 and 30 isn't big enough for me to make the jump. :(

The bigger screen would be the only real improvement for me.

look forward to seeing some images from it :thumb:

nice camera :clap: look forward to seeing some shots from it :)

Congratulations on your new purchase, but that 24-105 would look much better on my 5D.:D ;)

What is the difference between that and the 350d that made you want to upgrade? worth me thinking about upgrading?

Until Adobe catch up with RAW support for the 30D you could always follow the instructions here if you are a CS2 user.

HTH

Steve said:
Until Adobe catch up with RAW support for the 30D you could always follow the instructions here if you are a CS2 user.
Thanks Steve, I had sort of resigned myself to waiting for the RSP update but will now give this a go :thumb:

Janice said:
What is the difference between that and the 350d that made you want to upgrade? worth me thinking about upgrading?
The main reasons for upgrading for me were:-
  • ISO performance - I use 400mm F5.6 a lot for bird photos and am regularly struggling for light. I'm not really happy with the results from the 350D above 400 ISO.
  • Improved handling - Larger body improves handling for me especially with bigger lenses. I also found that I was always hitting the exposure lock button because of my large'ish hands.
  • Slightly higher flash sync speed - To improve things a little when using fill-in flash on the 400mm (non IS) lens.
I can't really comment on 'worth me thinking about upgrading' Janice, thats between you, your concscience and the bank :)

Back