Canon 30D Kit at good price

Edit My Images
Yes
Well I hope this is a usefull first post!:)

Been looking for a Canon 30D for a while now but was considering a second hand 20D but nothing has come of this so decided to take the plunge and buy a new 30D.

Anyway tonight I ended up on Dixons website and they have the 30D + 18-55 lens kit for £818.83 which considering the other day they where £880ish it's a fair drop. So some of you are saying its not that good a price well add PERKZ50DIX to the discount codes section in the check out and get a further £50 off the order. This fetches the price down to an interesting £768.83. Further more if you have an egg card you can get a further 5% cashback paid direct onto you card so in effect £730.89 which is cheaper than I can find the body only for. Also it's free P&P too(y)

I know from reading the forums these kit lens are rubbish but for someone like me who has just skint himself this will get me going while I save some more funds up.

Before someone asks I have nothing to do with the Dixons group, just trying to help others out.

nice one m0cea, very useful!

the kit lens is useable, in light of the fact you dont have anything else, its even better!

Good suggestion(y)

TBH the kit lens gets alot of flak, in my opinion it suited me fine and still does from time to time, as it covers a very flexible focal range from wide angle to standard zoom. Used on many occasions and speaking from my experience of it any problems with the results would have far more to do with my lacking ability than any limit of the lens.

Further to that theres nothing stopping you Ebaying the kit lens when/if you replace it with something better at a later date, thus knocking off perhaps another £40 to £50. :)

Cracking first post (y). Cheers.

For the record though, I'll have to disagree, I think the kit lens is a cracking lens.

I know there are some questionable copies of it out there, but by and large the results it can throw out, IMO, are really good.
I think what happens is that with peoples first venture into photography, they take shots with the kit lens, and as they're new to photography, those shots aren't the best so to speak.
What happens then, is that, as the skill improves, they branch out into better lenses, for example the 17-40L.
Now as they're now proficient with the camera, their shots are good....but why so? Is it the new lens? Or is it the fact that over time they've just got better, yet many people think it's solely becuase of the lens ;)

Thats a theory I read on another forum anyway, and I'm inclined to agree.

Anyway I'm sidetracking now.

Cracking first post mate :) Welcome to the forums. (y)

How are you finding the 30D? Is it an upgrade from a previous SLR, or a Point and Shoot? or is it your first venture into photography?

Marcel said:
How are you finding the 30D? Is it an upgrade from a previous SLR, or a Point and Shoot? or is it your first venture into photography?

Just waiting for it to arrive as I only placed my order last night.

My previous camera is a 6 year old Fuji 4700 which cost £600 :eek: all that time ago I very rarely got the wow sensation due to it's limitations and when anything was blown up the quality was poor so this realy is my first venture into real photography.

After seeing the results from a friends 20D I decided it was time to move on to better things.

It's nice that not everyone thinks the kit lens are rubbish it makes me feel so much better with my bargin:D

Just been back on Dixons web site to check the progress of my order and it looks like it will be with me today :D

Also the are now showing stock of the 30D body only with the £50 discount it works out to be £718.15 and with the additional Egg cash back a further £35.90 off so £682.25.

I'll be interested to hear if this does turn up, especially in such a short time.

I had two orders mysteriously declined in July when the Egg cashback was 10%! :annoyed:

Welcome to the 30D club! Cracker of a camera - I couldn't afford mine either when I got it but haven't regretted it for a second. As for the kit lens, no complaints from me either. I got it originally and having read some of the comments about it was fully intending that it wouldn't see much use.....I've been pleasantly surprised though.

Have fun with the camera! (y)

Damn no body only packages. Still £730 is a great price as I have an Egg card.

Edit: No they have them \o/ Misread it.

Either that discount code has run out or something else coz I tried it on a camera and a laptop and it didn't work. The cashback is tempting though. I never new you go that much from egg, they've been keeping secrets from me.

Kev Mills said:
Either that discount code has run out or something else coz I tried it on a camera and a laptop and it didn't work. The cashback is tempting though. I never new you go that much from egg, they've been keeping secrets from me.
Just tried the code & it still works. (y)

I guess you must be either making a typo (copy & paste) or your order value isn't high enough (£500 min).

Back