Canon 30D. Which macro lens?!

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 30D. I really would like a macro lens! (Prompted even more to get one with the great up close photos you all have posted!!)

Does anybody have any recommendations? :/

Thanks & Gnite!

Tamron 90mm would be my choice or the canon 100mm,both will give superb quality images although I believe the canon will focus faster.That won't be a problem if you manual focus for your close ups.

There is not much difference between the macro lenses in IQ, I have the Canon 100mm macro and am very pleased with it, AF speed is not really an issue because its very rare you can actually use it.

KeriAnn,

For starting out in macro I would suggest something around 100-105mm.....EF100 or Sigma 105. Most macro lenses are very sharp and there's little to choose between them except build quality and price.

The longer focal length lenses (150 and 180mm) have the advantage of greater working distances for things that get nervous if you get too close. The shorter f/l's (50-60) are generally easier to hand hold.

I have an EF-S60, EF100 and EF180L and all have their specific pro's and con's.

Some other general lenses can produce quite good macro images when used with extension tubes or macro filters. Either of these would be a cheaper option but produce images of inferior quality (most of the time).

Whichever lens you choose, I would factor in the cost of a set of Kenko extension tubes (or Canon's more expensive version of the same). These will increase your flexibility for far less outlay than adding a second macro lens.

Bob

I second the recommendation for Kenko extension tubes which are very handy to reduce the focal distance of many lenses. They work well with lenses like the nity fifty where the low light capability comes in very handy!

Hello
Extension tubes are great for occasional use but they do reduce light reaching the film/sensor plane and they are not quite as sharp as dedicated macro lens.
The other thing about a macro lens is it can be used as a normal lens, I have a 55mm Micro Nikkor which I use as a standard, a 90 or 100mm lens would make a great portrait lens.
As a rule of thumb a 50mm is great for inanimate objects (good depth of field), 100mm is good for things that bite (twice the working distance but less DoF) and 180mm is for things which are venomous (the greatest working distance but the least DoF).
I hope this helps.

the tamron 90mm has had a lot of good reviews and comes in around £269 which is a good price (even less if you import via ebay), have a look at sample shots by going on pbase and searching by the lens.

I'll be going for the Tamron myself :)

Bought the Canon 100mm 2.8 last year and not regretted it! Lovely lens!

Back