Beginner Canon 350d lenses

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi I’m looking for lenses for my daughter for portrait or photo shoot for a canon 350d what would you suggest .May also be looking for a good zoom lens for close up pictures of flowers or small animals and insects for a portfolios on a low budget as she’s only 16 can you help please

A zoom lens won't get you "proper" close up pictures, it will allow you to get distant subjects closer.
For proper close up stuff you really need a macro lens but they don't come that cheap.
If she's on a low budget just get the standard 18-55 IS and a 55-250 IS, they will cover most things unless she gets into wildlife photography.
You should be able to get both for somewhere around the £100 mark.

A zoom lens won't get you "proper" close up pictures, it will allow you to get distant subjects closer.
For proper close up stuff you really need a macro lens but they don't come that cheap.
If she's on a low budget just get the standard 18-55 IS and a 55-250 IS, they will cover most things unless she gets into wildlife photography.
You should be able to get both for somewhere around the £100 mark.

And if you want to get closer 'on the cheap' add a Raynox DCR 150 or 250 to the shopping list, which are great for trying out macro and will fit both the above lenses:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEOe6P1Z9g

I would recommend not trying doing it as cheaply as possible. It's worth spending a little more to get something worthwhile.

I bought my daughter a SH 300d for Christmas a little while ago and then bought a very cheap 28-80mm Tamron Aspherical lens. Think it might have been <£30.

It's awful though. You cannot get a sharp image with it. So I'd recommend picking up a SH Canon kit lens (18-55) as the starting point.

I didn't want to spend much on my daughter's kit as I figured it would be a passing phase. And I was right. She still wants to be 'a photographer' but has no interest in actually picking up a camera and learning anything. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back