canon 400 2.8 is - repair anyone had?

I might be being a bit thick here, but surely a ef mount is an ef mount, regardless of what ef lens it's come off of. So if it's a contacts problem any ef mount would do, even a 400 is ii mount should fit.
I would happily be corrected though.

I even asked if they would just replace the mount for me.. but they have procedures.. they ahve to look and check and see whats wrong.. they wont even look at it

I even asked if they would just replace the mount for me.. but they have procedures.. they ahve to look and check and see whats wrong.. they wont even look at it
Regardless of whether it's just a mount or a simple screw, it sounds like Canon Japan have issued a blanket dont fix, dont look, send back, instruction which is pretty poor for a relatively new lens costing several thousand pounds when new. I wonder how many lenses were shipped after yours and before the mk2 version was on sale.

It seems like a bit of a poor service, when a expensive lens that's not that old in real terms, can't be serviced. I think i would change the mount myself. I took an ef-s lens mount off a few months ago, it's just the screws and a ribbon cable (if I remember correctly), I doubt there's much difference in an ef lens. Or send it to a different canon repair centre (fixation UK maybe).

Is there a EU ruling about gear sold in the EU having to be supported by the manufactures for a certain lentgh of time?

I'm assuming it is also insured for theft, breakage etc, would that cover the cost of replacement if not repairable?
Seems that mail went to quite a few regions in the world earlier in the year.
Also listed 70/200 f2.8L and 50D body.

Last edited:
It seems like a bit of a poor service, when a expensive lens that's not that old in real terms, can't be serviced. I think i would change the mount myself. I took an ef-s lens mount off a few months ago, it's just the screws and a ribbon cable (if I remember correctly), I doubt there's much difference in an ef lens. Or send it to a different canon repair centre (fixation UK maybe).

Ages ago i did a youtube search on changing it myself and didnt fancy it :(

I'm assuming it is also insured for theft, breakage etc, would that cover the cost of replacement if not repairable?
Seems that mail went to quite a few regions in the world earlier in the year.
Also listed 70/200 f2.8L and 50D body.

Yes it did.. i got notification and its been unlisted in my CPS list for a while now.. doesnt alter the fact that 2 weeks ago they agreed to take it as i am cps platinum and even offered me a loan lens if not fixed in 2 days :( as per quoted above :(

They have supported the lenses for 5 years since production of new units. So I would think they have covered themselves. Trouble is like my 600mm they can go on for years but accidents can happen anytime.
Best bet buy the parts off eBay and approach an independent repaired. If you are relatively competent you could probably do it yourself. If you go down this route a clean table top correct tools paper numbered with parts as you remove them also a camera videoing the removal of parts you then have a reference. You may also be able to buy an exploded diagram of lens plus check you tube. I have done a couple of lenses in the past it is a bit of a pain but it is possible.
Rich

Yes it did.. i got notification and its been unlisted in my CPS list for a while now.. doesnt alter the fact that 2 weeks ago they agreed to take it as i am cps platinum and even offered me a loan lens if not fixed in 2 days :( as per quoted above :(
Quite agree.
Is it/was it insured?

Quite agree.
Is it/was it insured?

of course.. all my stuff always insured... but its not unrepairable... just canon refusing :(

Could you reach a compromise with them on a loan unit whilst yours is repaired, seeing as you fell into the gap of fixing/not fixing.
Got a useful CPS rep locally who could have a word?

Normal wear and tear ie wearing out parts from use is not covered. Buy a car with 6 months warranty tyres, exhausts, battery, clutch, bulbs and so on are not covered in the warranty or insurance they go in that time it's down to purchaser.
This is normal standard practice.

I ahve found the rear lens mount online but its just the silver ring? pretty sure theres more to it than that the last time i looked.. and that would be easy to replace..just the ring.. hmmm

Is that it ? its to fit my lens... £85 but is that all there is ?

mount1.jpg

Is there a whole lot of brassing/wear on the lens mount? A lot of play? If not, I would suspect the electrical contacts more than the ring.
Why aren't there any mounting screw holes in that ring?

Hi
I wondered if you had any luck in getting the lens fixed.
Rich

Hi
I wondered if you had any luck in getting the lens fixed.
Rich

None :(

Canon washed there hands of it..pretty disgusting :(

the people they told me to contact are in wembley/london who insist i have to send it in. (costly). they will decide whats wrong.. they wont give me a time scale and if i dont like there quote or they cant get the part,... they still have a charge.... So I ahvent sent it there..

stuck :(

http://www.newtonellis.com/canon/

Try these folk.
Bit old school, and rooted in the film era, but they do repairs to digital stuff. Might be a bit slow - they don't seem to rush anything.
Got to be worth asking.

Liverpool.. bit more doable for pickup/dropoff for me.. cheers will see what they say.. ta :)

Maybe give this guy a call. He might or might not be able to help. No harm in trying though.
A.M. Technical Services
12 Burbidge Rd, Shepperton TW17 0ED
01932 247127
https://g.co/kgs/LymGKB

If you need any help in city centre just holler. I know where the shop is...and it can be hard to find.

Maybe give this guy a call. He might or might not be able to help. No harm in trying though.
A.M. Technical Services
12 Burbidge Rd, Shepperton TW17 0ED
01932 247127
https://g.co/kgs/LymGKB

might be a bit far.. but if he seems confident enough could be worth the trek..ta

I am in lancashire BTW :)

If you need any help in city centre just holler. I know where the shop is...and it can be hard to find.

Have emaled and explaiend.. ..now to wait :)

i know its prob a bit far but what about the lens doctor eddie houston in cumbernauld .he converts older canon to ef mounts etc

You could also give Miles Whitehead a call:

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk

Miles has fixed my Canon EF 50 f/1.4 and has also CLA'd various older film cameras for me, which are no longer serviced by the original manufacturers either, including an OM1 that needed a new viewfinder prism. I would think there is a good chance that he can help you. He is quite reasonably priced too.

I wills ee how the local ones fair.. if not then look at the ones down souf.... many thanks :)

This whole saga is enough to put you off buying expensive Canon lenses. Because at the moment you have a very expensive doorstop.

Is it the same for the 300 2.8 mk1?

Im undecided whether or not to chop it in but am not in a position to replace it with a mk2.

Is it the same for the 300 2.8 mk1?

Im undecided whether or not to chop it in but am not in a position to replace it with a mk2.

Yes I had mine serviced recently they told me they would be stopping doing them in March or before if parts are not available. I had the last switch panel listed at any Canon service centre it came from Germany.
I have sold both my 600mm f4 I.s mki and 300mm f2.8 I.s mki. I have replaced them with the Canon 400mm f4 do I.s mkii.
The 500mm f4 I.s mki i will be the same.

Hi Kipax

The contacts for the mount are a separate assembly Part No. CA2 -5435. It was used in all the MkI superteles. It's also used in the 300f4 IS which means that it should be available as a spare part.

Exploded diagrams can be found here.

http://www.f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/

Might be worth trying to get one. Then if your lens goes completely you won't have anything to lose by trying a repair.

they just replied saying they cant help me..... shame :(

Last edited:
One thought over why companies may not be willing to touch it they do not have the capability to fine tune the focusing while lens is apart. They could probably do repair but can't calibrate the glass so this could lead to major problems with lens being taken apart 3 or 4 times with the super telephoto's.

If it's the contact assembly then accessing it is pretty straightforward. It might be worth changing the mount ring for a new one. It may tighten up the fit slightly which will give a better contact.

This is the contact set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-7...dge-Block-New-Part-CA2-5435-000-/371846883275

from explaining the problem to one company i got this reply

The lens would probably need a replacement flexible circuit board and unfortunately this part is not available so we would not be able to help you on this occasion,

Regards.

Back