canon 400 2.8 is - repair anyone had?

might be a bit far.. but if he seems confident enough could be worth the trek..ta

I am in lancashire BTW :)

I've used Alan before to repair one of my lenses. Great service cost was less than half what I was quoted elsewhere. He did have a 10 day lead time though with existing work, so you might need to wait a bit for the repair to start.

This is what i am contacting people with...

RE: Canon 400mm f2.8 L IS USM

I have three 1dx bodies and all give err01 ( connection problems ) at
random times.. sometimes not for weeks.. I have cleaned and tightened
screws .. Mostly it's connection and sometimes just stops focusing..

If I turn the camera on and off or switch to video and back or undo and redo lens to
camera all fix the problem instantly.. Am convinced it requires a
whole new rear mount... But of course I am not the expert.

As a working photographer this lens is in use quite a lot and
therefore as it does work it is needed.. I can't be without for longer
than a week or so..

Is this something you could help me with?

Many Thanks and I look forward to your response.

This is what i am contacting people with...
Might be worth considering hiring a 400 2.8 and sending your lens off for repair even if it's away for 2+ weeks?
Still think it's atrocious that an expensive, no mega expensive lens even if heavily used by a pro is a door stop so soon after purchase.

Very intetesting and looks like they made an amazing job of that 400mm, i’m going to send them an email about servicing my 300mm and if they can support the lens repair wise for the foreseeable future then my lens isnt going anywhere because I love it

Might be worth considering hiring a 400 2.8 and sending your lens off for repair even if it's away for 2+ weeks?
Still think it's atrocious that an expensive, no mega expensive lens even if heavily used by a pro is a door stop so soon after purchase.

It still works so not a doorstop yet but the fact it stops now and then means its not reliable enough.. usable but not reliable.. got to be fixed... this lensdoctor in glasgow Gary @Gaz J has mentioned has got my hopes up :)

It still works so not a doorstop yet but the fact it stops now and then means its not reliable enough.. usable but not reliable.. got to be fixed... this lensdoctor in glasgow Gary @Gaz J has mentioned has got my hopes up :)

I contacted lensrental in the states and asked them if it was possible to resolder a lens connecter block and if they had ever done that repair. They hadn't, and they've got massive stocks of lenses that use that block. Guy said it would probably need a new circuit board with the connector already attached.

He gave me the name of a couple of repair places in the states that might stock them so I've dropped them an email to see if they have. I've got a 500 f4 MkI which is no longer supported so their answer is of interest to me also.

Update. Had a reply from Midwest Camera repairs who say that the circuit board and connector block are two separate items and both available from Canon. I've asked them for a part number and if they keep stock.

Another update. Part numbers are:

CY3-2055-009 main PCB & CA2-5435-000 contact unit. Canon USA stock them. They say that the contact unit has to be soldered to the board. So it's feasible that it may only need the contact block and not a board and the contact blocks should be available through Canon UK.

Last edited:
Looks exactly what I need and they seem to know whats what with the lens situation.... But next day and no reply to my email......bit offputting even if they are busy... fingers crossed though ..
I think he quoted on his website that Thurs/Friday are no communication days as he's catching up on other stuff. It also said he is now official repairer to the BBC, sounds like he knows his stuff.
Matt

I sent that email address a message a couple of days ago and it just bounced back a few minutes ago as undeliverable.

I will give them a call Monday

I sent that email address a message a couple of days ago and it just bounced back a few minutes ago as undeliverable.

I will give them a call Monday

Still no reply for me :(

Did a game sat afternoon and it error 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes... connection problems and no focus..... did a game sunday and nothign.. did two games today and nothing.. all full 90 min adult games.... wierd... but needs sorting as wont fix itself..

Still no reply for me :(

Did a game sat afternoon and it error 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes... connection problems and no focus..... did a game sunday and nothign.. did two games today and nothing.. all full 90 min adult games.... wierd... but needs sorting as wont fix itself..

Hope you managed to get it fixed soon. A chap I know who uses Nikon is having a similar problem over parts with one of his lenses.

Hope you managed to get it fixed soon. A chap I know who uses Nikon is having a similar problem over parts with one of his lenses.

sent another email on tuesday and still no reply :(

Toni I am concerned. a guy whom could fix an old lens was what I searched for as a guy with not much to spend on tools. for making pics of ickle aminals..... , to be able to use a lens that was once up there as the best would be a good start for a beginner huh. But it was still alot of money so I searched and did me homework because canon doesn't fix older lens So for me to spend I needed a fixer for my purchase

My experience wasn't great Toni ,I ended up buying a lens with the knowledge the guy could sort it if something went wrong. I thought the lens was ok, pre is 300f2.8. it was gonna be a dream for me a holiday to play all went south :(

. For my part I didn't asses my lens properly on opening my new toy ,not enough knowledge buddy......... but then AF or manual focus( I forget) doesn't break if ya put the lens on a tripod in the house. it took me a couple of days to spot this fault sadly.

He took it back and the waiting began while this part came from the states etcetc etc

I think this guy is probably seriously talented and can fix your lens. but it took weeks to finally get sorted and basically closed in on using credit card crap and me shouting,which is a rare rare thing. But I got me dosh back in the end

I am deeply unsure about putting this here on a public forum.......... it's the guy's lively hood,but it's yours too !!!!! .If things went like my experience and I said nowt I'd have wronged ya and I simply wouldn't

Toni it is one experience he's trained at canon maybe you would be good . Maybe I was simply unlucky ,you never really know what goes on in a one man bands life to throw a spanner in the works

But you need a fast turn around

take care mate I've been following your thread ,popped in to hopefully hear SORTED or such like and have ended up posting sommit I'd really rather not ,

One experience though toni I'm not deflaming the guy just telling you utter truth

stu

One experience though toni I'm not deflaming the guy just telling you utter truth

stu

Its appreciated as real life experience is the most important thing to hear about.. thank you.

Toni I am concerned. a guy whom could fix an old lens was what I searched for as a guy with not much to spend on tools. for making pics of ickle aminals..... , to be able to use a lens that was once up there as the best would be a good start for a beginner huh. But it was still alot of money so I searched and did me homework because canon doesn't fix older lens So for me to spend I needed a fixer for my purchase

My experience wasn't great Toni ,I ended up buying a lens with the knowledge the guy could sort it if something went wrong. I thought the lens was ok, pre is 300f2.8. it was gonna be a dream for me a holiday to play all went south :(

. For my part I didn't asses my lens properly on opening my new toy ,not enough knowledge buddy......... but then AF or manual focus( I forget) doesn't break if ya put the lens on a tripod in the house. it took me a couple of days to spot this fault sadly.

He took it back and the waiting began while this part came from the states etcetc etc

I think this guy is probably seriously talented and can fix your lens. but it took weeks to finally get sorted and basically closed in on using credit card crap and me shouting,which is a rare rare thing. But I got me dosh back in the end

I am deeply unsure about putting this here on a public forum.......... it's the guy's lively hood,but it's yours too !!!!! .If things went like my experience and I said nowt I'd have wronged ya and I simply wouldn't

Toni it is one experience he's trained at canon maybe you would be good . Maybe I was simply unlucky ,you never really know what goes on in a one man bands life to throw a spanner in the works

But you need a fast turn around

take care mate I've been following your thread ,popped in to hopefully hear SORTED or such like and have ended up posting sommit I'd really rather not ,

stu
Drat, I was about to use him as well...

Before the Lensdoctor's water leak, I had contacted the guy successfully. Just before I sent my lens off, the water accident happened. He has only just sorted the problem. But I now will track this thread...

Drat, I was about to use him as well...

Not answering emails puts me off a bit anyway.. I cant afford to be without the lens for long and even the original person who mentioned him said can be a bit slow..... its a shame because reading the website makes it look spot on.. but anyone can make a good website..

back to the drawing board :(

On the plus side.. I did my 8th match tonight in 6 days and it only errored on the first and not since.. so 7 matches no error..... next mach sat and from experience i know it could happen

Before the Lensdoctor's water leak, I had contacted the guy successfully. Just before I sent my lens off, the water accident happened. He has only just sorted the problem. But I now will track this thread...

who did you send a lens to? and how long ago.. how long has he had it ?

who did you send a lens to? and how long ago.. how long has he had it ?
Sorry Kipax...I've misled you...I meant that I had successfully made contact with the lensdoctor. I got a quote and was about to send my lens for repair. Before I sent off my lens, the company closed temporarily because of water damage to their offices. So I never got to the point of sending my lens off. I've been waiting for the LensDoctor to open again...

Sorry Kipax...I've misled you...I meant that I had successfully made contact with the lensdoctor. I got a quote and was about to send my lens for repair. Before I sent off my lens, the company closed temporarily because of water damage to their offices. So I never got to the point of sending my lens off. I've been waiting for the LensDoctor to open again...

Haa right i did get confused between the "was going to use them" and the next post you made :) Right I see now :)

There is also a guy in Wotton under Edge in Gloucestershire who fixed my 24-105 when the zoom cable thingy broke (good technical term). His name is DON CLARK. He did what he said he would, when he said he would at the price he said he would. Contact tel: 01453 842102. His website is www.dccr.co.uk . It might be worth a ring.

errrrrrm i was the orig poster about the lens doctor so far i have not heard a bad word spoken about him he did his training at canon as far as im aware

errrrrrm i was the orig poster about the lens doctor so far i have not heard a bad word spoken about him he did his training at canon as far as im aware

I'm not speaking ill of him, I'm just telling Toni what happened to me. and yes I tried to be fair he told me he was canon trained . I mentioned this also stated I believe he is talented and could fix said issue

. but mate my first big white comes here with a fault *which I through ignorance/ inexperience didn't spot at first . The lens never left my house and was only moved for testing from case to tripod twice in my bedroom....Focus doesn't break under that move,maybe in transit here but not from being put on a tripod. then it takes weeks for the lens to be fixed Ok it was never fixed I got fed up waiting and wanted to start again as the fix never looked like it would happen communication was awful. The lens had also been touched up paint wise to make it look pretty and if I recollect correctly had taken a proper ding at some time as one of the strap iugs was stuffed. I was trained to spray cars I know when some has played with paint

Rab Toni is a pro he needs that gear back,the above posts are my first hand experiences,not more not less.

If what happened to me happened to toni he's be stuffed to use his lens for weeks. I'm not posting the flame

I actually tried to PM Toni but couldn't find a way via his profile this ain't really my style bro i'm very uneasy about posting this,but it is true

Rab what are me options here if I;d have said nowt. that isn't right either toni depends on these tools for his living

But mark my words everything I am posting is true mate I did buy that lens after contacting him and asking if he could fix a non is 300 f2.8 he said he had a gem. He sent me pics and so I bought that lens from him, knowing if at some stage it broke I had a guy to fix it. but it came here broke and the fix took weeks to not happen

cold hard fact
take care
stu.

hi stu im glad you posted it in the thread bud as he needs to hear from people thats had dealings with the lens doctor if i was you i think i would have slapped him around the head with the lens

hi stu im glad you posted it in the thread bud as he needs to hear from people thats had dealings with the lens doctor if i was you i think i would have slapped him around the head with the lens
Cheers mucker :)i've tried to be balanced which isn't exactly easy. i'm sad about it really mate wanted to work with the guy,but too bloody old to bare a grudge. He's a clever guy it's a bloody shame

hey ho mate i'm learning watching tonis thread of others whom might be able to help me in the future

OH PS Toni, while doing my homework on all this I asked the london camera exchange who they use might be worth a pop if they have a branch local to you. I figured they must have someone who checks or fixes lenses as they sell second hand but the guy they refered me to only worked on stuff that was still supported by canon because of the spares issue.so it's not even worth me digging for that. just a thought mate
all the luck both
stu

yep had it from brand new :(

gutted ....

Agree with Richard (@lost ) your on a hiding to nothign buying used at this level.. I built up my gear mostly trading up and buying used.. this was one of the first item i bought brand new because of the price level we are at.. i probably wouldnt if someone said 7 yrs later it might be usleess... looking at around a grand a year..... although i am being a bit dramatic.. its far from useless and may get it fixed yet :)

They should repair all lenses that are in the pro range. Its not as if they have hundreds of lenses! Canon should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Like I said a chap I know is going through the same thing with a older pro spec Nikon lens.
So it's not limited to Canon alone you have a look round how many series 1 l spec lenses are around. A quick Google asking price one Canon 600mm f4 I.s mki £3,850 good condition. What happens if it breaks in 4 months.

Like I said a chap I know is going through the same thing with a older pro spec Nikon lens.
So it's not limited to Canon alone you have a look round how many series 1 l spec lenses are around. A quick Google asking price one Canon 600mm f4 I.s mki £3,850 good condition. What happens if it breaks in 4 months.

Pretty much why I went for the upgrade.

Just been on eBay seeing what's being sold another 600mm f4 I.s mk i on there for the bargain price of £5,450.00.
The parts for that are going to be a struggle as well I think we as photographers need to be very careful what we buy in the future.

Well because my lens only eerors every 6 or 7 games and then fixed in seconds to a minute... it means its very hard for me to send it off anywhere for a couple of weeks,. so i am still using it... I know it wont fix itself but probably wait until its critical before losing it for weeks :(

All my other equipemnt i ahve an alternative lens
70-200 / 135 f2
24-70 / 17-40
2 1dx and a 1dx2 body

but the 400 is the only one without an alternative and would cost serious money to hire for 2 weeks.. thats if i can get fixed in 2 weeks :(

so gonna have to put fixing on hold until either A it gets critical or next summer when i plan 2 weeks holiday... send it the week before.. so thats a week working cant use but get by and 2 weeks holiday so a good long 3 week window... but thats end of june..wehn cricket season is on and needed :(

Month Long term rental from Stuart whilst it gets fixed? Would your CPN membership cover a loan lens from canon whilst it's off for repair even though it's not getting repaired by Canon?

Well because my lens only eerors every 6 or 7 games and then fixed in seconds to a minute... it means its very hard for me to send it off anywhere for a couple of weeks,. so i am still using it... I know it wont fix itself but probably wait until its critical before losing it for weeks :(

All my other equipemnt i ahve an alternative lens
70-200 / 135 f2
24-70 / 17-40
2 1dx and a 1dx2 body

but the 400 is the only one without an alternative and would cost serious money to hire for 2 weeks.. thats if i can get fixed in 2 weeks :(

so gonna have to put fixing on hold until either A it gets critical or next summer when i plan 2 weeks holiday... send it the week before.. so thats a week working cant use but get by and 2 weeks holiday so a good long 3 week window... but thats end of june..wehn cricket season is on and needed :(
Who's gonna do the repair? Apologise if its in the thread already...

Month Long term rental from Stuart whilst it gets fixed? Would your CPN membership cover a loan lens from canon whilst it's off for repair even though it's not getting repaired by Canon?

I htink because its no longer supported and they arnt fixing it so got no control then its a long shot.. but.. worth a free email to ask.. good idea:)

Who's gonna do the repair? Apologise if its in the thread already...

At this point just gonna have to put my trust in the company canon reccomended in wembley

Canon HQ used to be in Wembly.

Back