Canon 400d battery grip? **UPDATED**

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I don't know which to buy, the official Canon grip or a non official one from eBay. What did you buy?

Thanks.
Neil

I bought the Canon grip from Park Cameras who had it recently for £60. Don't know if it's gone back up in price though. Best accessory I have purchased, balances the body out when I'm using my 75-300 IS.

I have an official on my 40D.

I used to have a 3rd party YXTM grip on my 400D.

Official Canon grips are worth the extra money in my opinion. Better build quality by a long way, more comfortable, stronger and has extra buttons.

All depends if you are willing to spend double on a grip. You can also import them from Hong Kong for much cheaper than UK stores.

I use canon official on my 350d but if you are struggling for cash...how about these ebay for 350d & 400d

cheap as chips £24.00

On my 400D and both my 30D's I've used the XYTM battery grips and I've been more than happy with them(y)

I must admit to being a bit confused by this though:thinking:

and has extra buttons.

What buttons dose the OE battery grip from Canon have that the XYTM dosn't?

Have an original on my 40D. didn't want to take a chance with a third party one. The Canon grip is very good and strong and as mentioned above, keeps the camera perfectly balanced, especially with a long zoom on it..

Cheers, Mark

Never been up close and personal with the OEM but recently bought the Canon BGE3 for my 400D and very pleased. It's a very sturdy and well made attachment.

I got it from Amazon, I did the deal with a Canon battery for £115. The Grip itself is £120 RRP.

What buttons dose the OE battery grip from Canon have that the XYTM dosn't?

It has extra fel and AF point select thumb buttons (can also be used for zooming images when in preview mode).

The same ones found by your thumb when holding the camera landscape-style:

canon_eos_20d_battery_grip_bge2_904.jpg

It has extra fel and AF point select thumb buttons (can also be used for zooming images when in preview mode).

The same ones found by your thumb when holding the camera landscape-style:
Oh....you mean the same ones that the XYTM has:LOL:

d4f6_12.JPG

Pay the extra and get the Canon one. You know it makes sense...

Pay the extra and get the Canon one. You know it makes sense...

Yeah, I got the canon one. It's sturdy as hell and you know that if anything does happen to your camera, canon wont laugh at you when you tell them you used a third-party grip ;)(providing your are still under warranty...)

[Edit] Contact Kerso - he'll beat any of the high street prices on Canon gear.

I'm a poor student and bought a 3rd party grip from ebay similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCD-Timer-Bat...ryZ48516QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm very happy with it - it still feels good, the connections are right and has the extra buttons, but also has an LCD timer on it for time lapse and delayed photos (which I want to use more). I think I paid about £50 delivered for it.

Tbh, I can't see that using this grip would affect warranty in any way. If the camera goes belly up, I remove the grip and claim under warranty.

I got the Canon one, and I'm very pleased with my purchase.
I think its a bit like the people who bought the Canon ones are glad they did, and the people who bought the 3rd party ones are satisfied with them.

I think its a bit like the people who bought the Canon ones are glad they did, and the people who bought the 3rd party ones are satisfied with them.

Well I'm on my third XYTM grip now (400D and two 30D's) and I'm glad that I decided on them over the Canon OE(y) Having compared them with a friends OE grip on a 30D the fit is the same, it takes two batteries the same and all the buttons function the same! The only thing different is a little white writing on the front proclaiming "Canon" is missing.......and as they cost a fhird of the price of an OE grip I'm more than happy to live with that;)

Having said all that....I seem to remember that you only payed 3rd party price for your OE grip anyway Mr Poision:naughty:

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think i will go with the official Canon one. I have emailed Kerso so waiting to see what price it is.

Neil

UPDATE

Just bought the Canon grip from eurooffice.co.uk through Quidco and got it for £59.22 delivered. Forgot to say I was a new customer to eurooffice and got a extra 20% using code quidco20

Neil

That's a really good price, you can't even import them from HK that cheaply.

I assume it's brand new?

Hi,
Yes its brand new, also I have just checked my Quidco account and the transaction has tracked so i got an extra £5 back. So it cost me £55.

Happy days:)
Neil

Well I'm on my third XYTM grip now (400D and two 30D's) and I'm glad that I decided on them over the Canon OE(y) Having compared them with a friends OE grip on a 30D the fit is the same, it takes two batteries the same and all the buttons function the same! The only thing different is a little white writing on the front proclaiming "Canon" is missing.......and as they cost a fhird of the price of an OE grip I'm more than happy to live with that;)

Having said all that....I seem to remember that you only payed 3rd party price for your OE grip anyway Mr Poision:naughty:

£25 :D
Plus vat and postage came to £40 :D

Back