Canon 400d lens advice

Edit My Images
No
I'm still pretty new to photography but i'm starting to find that my 18-55mm lens doesn't have enough reach. I normaly use the camera for taking pictures at car shows but since i've had my 400d i've found myself trying landscapes, pictures of wildlife and even having a go at portrates. I would like to have a go at motorsport photography as well as i'm a total petrol head.

I've been looking at the canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 but i've heard mixed reviews about this. I know you get what you pay for with lenses but i've not got the highest budget about and obviously i'd like to get the best lens I can for my money. Have any of you had any experience of this lens? is it any good or should I look at another one? any advice would be greatly appreciated

From what I've read, the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG is a better lens and after speaking to Frank on here, I've decided to get that over the Canon. I don't own either lens though so don't take my word for it!

Budget:
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro

Midrange:
Canon 70-200 f4 L
Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Sigma 100-300 f4 EX
Canon 70-200 f4 IS

Sigma 120-300 f2.8
Canon 100-400 IS L
or prime lenses

If you're doing portraits, then investing in the 50mm f1.8 is worthwhile.

I've been looking at the canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 but i've heard mixed reviews about this.

The Sigma 70-300 APO Macro is widely regarded to be superior optically to the canon 75-300

(Just make sure you don't go for the non-APO sigma variant)

Am just in the process of purchasing a 24-105 L and the 100-400 L lenses which I know are a lot of money but from the reviews across the board these are very good quality optics and well worth the money. Feel exactly the same about the kit lenses. They only serve a purpose to get shooting but are no up to the real photography !! SPORT...

Good Luck

100-400 could be argued that is less good in poor light conditions - eg rallies and club level motorsport in less than optimum conditions where the ability to focus at f2.8 is an advantage, even if you stop down from f2.8 for actually taking the shot.

Back