canon 400D maybe

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all.
im new here :wave:
so be gentle;)

im currently looking to upgrade from my fujifilm bridge camera into a full dslr.

i have been doing loads of reading on here i have read loads of great advice.

befor everybody says it, yes im going to get out and get a feel for the camera's but first im just looking for personal opinions on the camera and specs.

was looking at a D60 but the lack of AF in the body has put me off slightly as lenses i bought would have to have the swm and would be that bit more expensive.

would i really miss AF or is it a must.

im now consider a slighgly older camer maybe even second hand if i could get a better all rounder.

the canon 400D can be had for reasonable money, whats peoples thoughts on this? is it a better choice over the 1000D?

thanks alot in advance for any input given
ian

Welcome to the forum :)
It all depends on your budget.
If you can stretch to a 450D then I would suggest you get one.
It's had advantages over both the 1000D and the 400D.

Otherwise looking at the specs, I would go for a 400D.

1000D
10.1 MP CMOS sensor
Up to 3fps
7-point wide-area AF
Self-Cleaning Image Sensor
2.5” LCD

400D
10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor
EOS Integrated Cleaning
2.5" LCD
9-point wide-area AF
Up to 3fps

If you can get it for a good price then why not?
I would ask him how many actuations it has done (shutter count).
Also ask him if he can provide the orginal purchase receipt as well.

If you have a 400D then the 450 isn't a big enough jump to really justifying upgrading to in my opinion. If however you don't have a 400D already then go for the 450D. But if you really want a 400D I can sell you my mint condition one ;)

I'd go for the 400D over the 1000D every day, and there are some fantastic deals to be had on 2nd had 400Ds on here as well as other places. As for the 450D it depends on budgets and what you use it for. I have 400D so no live view, which I miss when I'm taking macro or when camera is in an awkward spot to get my eye to - which usually means low down or pushing it through some foliage to get a better angle on something. However, quite why the live view screen on DSLRs can't tilt like it does on almost every bridge is beyond me, but that's another argument. Not too sure what else the 450D would give me if I'm honest.
But in short, get the best you can afford with money left for some half decent lens or other as you may be using it for a while.

thanks alot for all your iput, its very helpful.

im swaying towards the 400d now then if the 450d does not have a enough feature to warrent the extra money and tbh the extra money needed for the 450 take me a fair bit over budget.

ian

I bought a second hand 400d from London Camera Exchange in Southampton a couple of weeks ago. Body only (i already have a few lenses), 2 batteries, 6 month warranty and it had a service for £230.

Use this as a guide of prices out there. Worth going on the LCE website and seeing what stock your nearest store has got.

Hi Ian, if you are settled on a canon system then fair enough, if not why not give the Sony system a quick look. The Sony a200 is a great starter camera and will grow with you as your experience and knowledge grows. It has the AF motor inbuilt so any lens with the Alpha mount will work work and the camera carries the SSS (Super Steady Shot) on board so again no expensive IS VR lens. For around £260 with 18 - 70mm kit lens, 10.2MP Jpeg and RAW, 3 FPS etc this is one worth having a quick look at. Good luck in your choice and enjoy using it.

the only thing that put me off the A200 was that i read alot of comments saying that if you got into you photography and took it further you would find it harder to get equipment suitable for the sony compared to either a nikon or canon
thanks
ian

Well, as a Sony user perhaps I am a little bias;).... Sony where once a rare animal in the DSLR world but that is very quickly changing. The availability of lenes are on the increase and there is a multitude of Minolta lenes (second hand) out there just begging to be used. Lens, flash, filters, battery grip and any other bits and pieces are now readily available for the sony range. Do remember that you are buying into a system so I agree with some who might say that Sony have a shortfall of equipment but they are fast catching the other well known brands.(y)

think im gonna go with the 400d then.would love the 450d but just cant justify the extra 200pounds nearly for it.

so if anyone has one going or knows pm me please.

aslo just to make sure.
it has a AF motor in the cameraso it can af any lens and not like the d60/d40 where the lens must have the af.
ian

Hi Ian, if you are settled on a canon system then fair enough, if not why not give the Sony system a quick look. The Sony a200 is a great starter camera and will grow with you as your experience and knowledge grows. It has the AF motor inbuilt so any lens with the Alpha mount will work work and the camera carries the SSS (Super Steady Shot) on board so again no expensive IS VR lens. For around £260 with 18 - 70mm kit lens, 10.2MP Jpeg and RAW, 3 FPS etc this is one worth having a quick look at. Good luck in your choice and enjoy using it.

You beat me to it :p

Sony's are great.

As are Nikon's........

Back