Canon 400D repair - fair quote?

Edit My Images
No
My Canon 400D has developed a fault with the mirror mechanism.
I asked around on forums about it initially (see following links for the discussions)

photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Tjrm
www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157620401032782/
www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1653936...

I took it to the UK camera store Jessops who sent it to Canon.
I have just received an estimate for repair from Jessops for £133.33. The repair description is:
Repair Circuit Service & Reset All Functions
I've asked them for more detail on this but as yet haven't heard back from them.

It seems odd that the repair description doesn't mention the mirror?
Does anyone know anywhere else I could get it repaired cheaper, or would it have to go back to Canon?
I am in Manchester, UK.

Thanks

Half that price will most likely be labour. Would recommend you look at canon website for there service centers, and give them a bell. http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/ I think is the closest to you. I just had a quote to serive my 100-400 L Lens of £350 of which £160 is labour.

Is there anyone else out there who might be able to do this cheaper?
Maybe an independent person or company, not affiliated with Canon?
Not sure if that's possible, or if you need Canon equipment to repair it.

I've been told they will dismantle the camera, repair the mirror, repair the circuit board, check for any other faults and service the camera.

If anyone knows, please let me know, thanks.

Seems like a good price to me.. I paid £180 to replace the mainboard on mine through Colchester Cameras.

I have sent my Canon G9 away to Canon via Jessops to have the lens/sensor cleaned. I have received a quote this morning with repair description "Repair circuit service and reset all functions" at a total cost of £119.99. Again, there is no mention of the work I actually want done? I am also concerned that it says if they find anything else they will contact me with a further quotation. I wonder whether they will contact me after with a quotation to carry out the clean?? How did you get on with your repair? Did you go ahead with Canon?

Back