Canon 40D grip shutter dial not working?

Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
I just googled this but didn't find an answer. For some reason the dial that controls the shutter speed (and flicking through photos etc.) doesn't seem to work, yet the shutter button, focus point and exposure buttons work percectly.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
There are only two possibilities.

(1) It's broken.
(2) It's user error (expecting the dial to do something in a situation/configuration where it doesn't).

Take your pick. Incidentally you haven't given us enough information to rule out (2).

When using the 40d With the grip make sure the on off switch on the main camera body is all the way to the top and not in the middle position.

The middle position disables some buttons / dials on the main body and the grip to prevent acidental operation.

I seem to recall reading something about the equivalent top dial on the body itself sometimes being left "between" positions and stopping the one on the grip from working.

May be mis-remembering here or just talking rubbish of course :)

I have had the same issue , working one minute not the next . It turned out to be a faulty micro switch . I had extended warranty though so had it fixed under that . I suppose that it's one of those things that could go wrong at anytime , i'd only had very little use from mine when it stopped working ( no more that a couple of thousand shots .)

Upon closer inspection it seems one of the metal connectors on the grip is permanently depressed instead of being upright and springing down like the rest.

Could this be it?

Back