canon 40d or 5d

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
ive got a 400d at the moment and a 350d that i never use.

ive seen the 450d that is out soon but i fancy a 40d or 5d

my main question is

is the price jump from the 40d to 5d worth it? also i am a little worried about getting a 5d and then 5 mins later canon releasing a newer model like the 5dmk11 that i have seen rumours about.

The main lenses i will have will be the A 17-40L and 24-105L

any input would be appreciated

I must admit, this is something that I have been contemplating. Whether to go for a 40D, or maybe a used 5D.

Full frame does bring quality, but for what I currently do, I'd miss the 1.6 x difference, as I keep finding myself at the long end of my 70-300mm.

That to me, at the moment, says that the 40D would probably be the better investment. However, I have a studio session coming up, and because I won't need the "reach", and depending on the results, it may get me thinking the other way.

Decisions eh, why can't the wife just say NO! and then it would be so easy. :LOL:

HTH

Steve

The 5D and 40D are intended for quite different markets and the answer would really depend on what you'd like to use it for.

Bob

If you're avoiding things that need fast focus then I'd plump for a 5D....especially with reference to portraiture.

Bob

If you're avoiding things that need fast focus then I'd plump for a 5D....especially with reference to portraiture.

Bob

I have been thinking that but at the same time i would be a little annoyed spending the large amount on it then quickly after a newer model coming out and giving it a hefty price drop. The speed from 350d to 450d has been pretty fast.

Well going into a shop and testing the two is allways the better option.
Hands on.

I have a 350D and have upgraded to the 5D and the difference is overwhelming. I bought the 5d for portrait, weddings and general studio work. I looked at the 40D but didnt go for it as i dont shoot much sports work that require the fast fps.
After looking through the view finder of the 5d i couldnt be turned back anyway, i just fell in love with it.

Two very different cameras for different users, or at least, different purposes.

On a 5D your 17-40L will be exactly 17mm at the wide end - very wide by any standards, whereas on a 1.6X crop sensor it will only be 27.2mm, not exactly exciting. ;) The 40D is the camera to really maximise the reach of longer lenses - if you want to go wide angle with it then you need one of the EF-S lens offerings around 10mm to get a true 16mm FOV at the sensor.

Going by the lenses you use at the moment, I'd have to say the 5D would seem to be your best option.

Worrying about prices and the next body coming out is pointless- it's a problem which will always be there given the rate at which new bodies hit the market these days. The 5D is currently tremendous value with good cashback offers on it too.

I have the 40D which is ideal for wildlife photography and I'm considering a 5D to maximise the use of my 17-40L and my 50mm 1.4. I dunno for sure what I'll do yet, but the prospect of a new model in the offing wont stop me buying a 5D. Remember that it's already massively cheaper than it was at first launch, and you're getting a lot of camera for the money. ;)

I have been thinking that but at the same time i would be a little annoyed spending the large amount on it then quickly after a newer model coming out and giving it a hefty price drop. The speed from 350d to 450d has been pretty fast.

Even if Canon were to introduce a 5D MkII it doesn't make the 5D redundant. The main difference between 40D and 5D is full frame vs crop (obviously other than price). As has been mentioned you need to look which would suit you better. When Canon do introduce a newer model to the 5D there will no doubt be a price tag attached to that, and judging by the rumours I'd expect a few hundred pounds on top of the current 5D price.

I've recently opted for a 5D, it's paid for and waiting to be picked up. Unfortunately it's waiting to be picked up in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and I'm not going to get my hands on it until April 7th. Long story.

And you know what I've since decided. That I should've bought the 40D and spent the saving on another lens. I've heard a lot about the IQ on the 40D, the speed of the autofocus, the multi frame capture rate, and things like the tone priority facility which really helps with portraiture. Plus I like the crop/extra reach. Sounds like I didn't research it much, and now am suffering from buyers remorse. I did the research, but definately suffering from buyers remorse.

I could have nearly picked up a 70-200 2.8 with the difference. Damn.

People will say that it depends what you want to use the camera for, but I say that's a lot more money to pay just to have a slower full frame camera....

I guess my question would be - is there a particular aspect to the 400D that you feel is holding you back? If so, which? If it's just that you fancy getting some new gear, either the 5D or the 40D are amazing value right now - working out at around £1050 or £500 respectively after cashback. I went through the same debate a few months back (upgrading from a 350D), and plumped for the 5D as my preferred subjects don't move much (scenery, nature and people). There's a certain 'luxurious' quality to the FF sensor images that just makes me smile :) But...go to Jessops and try them both (y)

Further to my post above, if you're doing mostly portraits & studio work the 5D has to be the better option. The two "benefits" that the 40 offer is reach and fps, which don't really matter to what you're looking for.

If you have the money, it should be the 5 rather than the 40, IMPO of course...

Steve

Thanks for the insights , been very helpfull

im having a big kit clearout of 400d,350d, x2 grips , 500mm sigma & my sigma wide angle + lots more camera bits and peices.

Thought i would treat myself to a camera upgrade , will go and try them out in jessops i think

my heart says the 5d :LOL: but my reason is saying the 40d for now and 5d in a few months ready for the summer.

all will tell when i get my hands on them in the shop

Thanks again to everyone and feel free to add more to this thread as its good to read the hands on opinions

Me and my other half went to FOCUS Expo at the NEC about a month ago and tried all the Canon camera's 450D,40D,5D,1D and decided on the 5D, having looked through the view finder we were sold. Got them for £1150 after cashback from www.warehouseexpress.com. Have been amazed at the quality of photo's we have been getting.

Check out www.pictez.com Hong Kong Photographs.

Figured that we were going to have problems affording two new 5D's which we reckon will be about £2500/£3500 each. So we decided to go for the current model............

Back