Canon 40D or Nikon D90. Help needed

cam1986

Suspended / Banned
Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
People, need some help here.

I have narrowed my choice of camera to either the Canon 40D or the Nikon D90.

Read loads of reviews of both and peoples comments and i still can't decide. I can purchase either for around the same price 2nd hand body only.

I have held the D90 and a friends 40D and like both!!!!

I would be using the camera for taking pics of my daughter / family and everything else!

Budget is around what the above go for. Plus i will get a nice 50mm prime too, 2nd hand hopefully. Going away soon for hols and need to decide. Plus i need to find one to buy!!! (Can't look on Classifieds here as not reached criteria yet!)

So people, any advice would be great to help me decide which to 'buy' into.

hello mate, hope you dont mind me jumping straight in this thread, i too am looking at buying my first dslr and have read good things about the 40D, out of interest what has made you narrow your choice down to these two?

cam1986 said:
People, need some help here.

I have narrowed my choice of camera to either the Canon 40D or the Nikon D90.

Read loads of reviews of both and peoples comments and i still can't decide. I can purchase either for around the same price 2nd hand body only.

I have held the D90 and a friends 40D and like both!!!!

I would be using the camera for taking pics of my daughter / family and everything else!

Budget is around what the above go for. Plus i will get a nice 50mm prime too, 2nd hand hopefully. Going away soon for hols and need to decide. Plus i need to find one to buy!!! (Can't look on Classifieds here as not reached criteria yet!)

So people, any advice would be great to help me decide which to 'buy' into.

After all that (you've read, researched listened and played) I'm not sure how much we can add!

After all that (you've read, researched listened and played) I'm not sure how much we can add!

Thanks for your input.

Peoples views are always great to get. Be nice to see if some have been in the same position regarding the 2 cameras and what they chose etc etc

Tough choice and you will always get 2 different answers.

I'm a Nikon guy and I will say go for the D90. I'm sure Canon guy will say 40D instead.

Both are good camera, only you can decide ....... if you get a 40D you can use your mate's lens?

What puts me slightly off 2nd hand is the warranty aspect....none.

Only if you buy private.

Get it from a retailer (LCE, Mifsuds etc) and you'll get a 6 or 12 month warranty.

Remember, you are not JUST buying a camera, you are buying into a complete system. You might want to take into account the cost of glass, accessories etc for when you undoubtedly want to add to your kit bag.

BUT, im a Nikon man, so go for the D90!! :D

nikon D90 user here. love it. Close mate has Canon as does my sister. I can get on with them, but I don't like the grip.

The Nikon 50 1.8D is sweet, but the 35 1.8 will probably be what you want. I don't think canon has a reasonable 35 1.8.

Thanks
Rick

you are right don't think canon got a cheap 35mm and their 50mm f1.8 is ........ well is all plastic even the mount so not my cup of tea personally.

casts_by_fly said:
nikon D90 user here. love it. Close mate has Canon as does my sister. I can get on with them, but I don't like the grip.

The Nikon 50 1.8D is sweet, but the 35 1.8 will probably be what you want. I don't think canon has a reasonable 35 1.8.

Thanks
Rick

No but they do have a supurb 35mm f/2!

New it's more expensive than the Nikon but that's because it's better ;) but used I picked mine up mint (2010 build code) for only £160.

Last edited:
badboy1984 said:
you are right don't think canon got a cheap 35mm and their 50mm f1.8 is ........ well is all plastic even the mount so not my cup of tea personally.

The canon 50mm f/1.8 is well known to be one of the best lenses for the price. It might be plastic, but mines lasted over 5 years of reasonable use so far. It doesn't look the best but it doesn't matter when the images are so nice!

The canon 50mm f/1.8 is well known to be one of the best lenses for the price. It might be plastic, but mines lasted over 5 years of reasonable use so far. It doesn't look the best but it doesn't matter when the images are so nice!

Don't get me wrong, i got nothing against it ......... if i'm a canon user i think i will buy it too because is cheap and does the job so thats why we call it niffty 50 .....

Pretty much the same cost on the nikon, we can buy the 50mm f1.8D which is also plastic but is metal mount instead. We also call that niffty 50 ......

Either way both is great for value.

Still hard to decide. Looking for a 40D and hard to find where i live.

Blimey, been offered a 2nd hand 50D, mint and boxed from a camera shop for £480, body only, 6 months warranty. Is that good guys? Told them i would take a look at it tomorrow.

Plus they are holding a mint D80 for me to look at too, body only approx £300. Confused now!!

Or, i could find a 2nd hand D90!!!

Last edited:
Thats a good price. The 50d is better than the d80 and a lot newer and more advanced. And I'm not just saying that as I own a 50d!

Tbh I'd take the 50d at that price, time to make a decision!

Last edited:
Thats a good price. The 50d is better than the d80 and a lot newer and more advanced. And I'm not just saying that as I own a 50d!

Tbh I'd take the 50d at that price, time to make a decision!

You are right mate. 50d or D90!!

I don't think it matters in terms of quality.. it is what you might do further down the road that make the difference. which ever you choose locks you into that system to some extent. As any lenses and flashes you add can be used on more advanced models.

So think about what your next step will be and see if that makes a difference to your choice.

Being locked into a brand is no issue to me. I don't mind either that is probably why i am confused which to get!

I must admit, for what i can buy the 50D body only for 2nd hand i can get the D90 and a lens for 2nd hand!

Well, now been offered a 40D for £380. It has nearly 10,000 actuations. Is that a good price and low actuations for the camera?

That's about the going rate for a 40d from what I've seen. You'd pick one up cheaper privately, but not by much. There's a couple ion the For Sale section, if they're still there.

The 50mm 1.8 might not be the best looking thing, but despite the plastic lens mount with the weight and size of it you'd do well to damage it. It's a decent lens. For £75 you can't go wrong.

There is a MK I version, with better build quality, but second hand they generally go for more than a new MK II.

Last edited:
Just buy one already!! Lol!!!

Buy the newest model you can, otherwise you'll just end up wanting to upgrade.....

I think that's true for a lot of people. Not always for any particular need, but just because we're flawed as human beings, and always suckered into buying the latest most expensive equiptment.

Considering the guy is starting out, money aside for lenses wouldn't be a bad idea in this case.

I'd get the D90, not because I'm a Nikon man but I've read a lot about the shutter on the 40D giving up the ghost early on (could be a misguided but that's what I've read).

Just buy one already!! Lol!!!

seems we had this before...:LOL::LOL:

remember whatshisname buying/selling/buying/returning/trading/dropping/buying/selling everything [but didn't]

ah heady days and nights on TP indeed...(y)
PS ...Anthony....its Nikon all the way.....................:)

Last edited:
I'd get the D90, not because I'm a Nikon man but I've read a lot about the shutter on the 40D giving up the ghost early on (could be a misguided but that's what I've read).

Is that right about the shutter?

Edit: Just found a link with loads of people who have had issues with the above problem on the 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D!!!

Right, looks like its a D90 then!! lol

Last edited:

Not really, I doubt the shutter is any more likely to fail early on most 40D's than on most D90's

Personally I got unlucky, I had signs of failure at about 15,000 actuations (give or take a couple of thousand, and the shutter was still working, no idea how long it would have lasted) but got it repaired in the second hand warranty.
My mate's is going on 40,000 and he's never had a single issue.

Last edited:
Dunno, but it would be at least enough to make me look at the 50D, if I really didn't like the images that come out of a 50D when anything other than perfect exposure is achieved.

If I was stuck with that choice go for the D90

But doing it all over again and If I was in your shoes I'd go for a Pentax K-r with a 35 2.4mm. Go have a look at one you can have a brand new one for about the price you are looking to go second hand with them and for an extra 100£ you get two decent kit lenses that are weather sealed to boot!

cam1986 said:

Edit: Just found a link with loads of people who have had issues with the above problem on the 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D!!!

Right, looks like its a D90 then!! lol

Canon xxd's don't have any more of a higher failure rate than any other camera, they're rated pretty much the same as the Nikon d90, not that you need your mind changing!

Well it has put me off the 40D now. If i was getting a xxD it would have to be a new one or one that comes with some warranty

Last edited:
Don't google "Nikon d90 shutter problems" then!!

Oops, what have I said!

Put it this way, I've never seen anyone on this forum complain about a broken shutter on a D90 but I've seen probably 4 people say it about the 40D.

ive enjoyed reading thru this thread, some good pointers there, im also looking at getting my first cam, if i could just throw a couple of questions in there.
are there more accsesories,lenses etc for a canon or nikon or are they much the same? what about the 2nd hand market?
and as ive picked up so far, i guess there no real difference in camera, accessory quality between each model either>?

im a Nikon man now but boy did I love my 40d, if you are considering a D90 or a 40d dont add a D80 into the mix, great as they were they are lacking compared(4000/1 shutter and liveview which can help you out with macro work).

MPB is a decent place to look, they only give 3 month warranty but thats 3 month more than a private sale and all gear gets a thorough check up and clean if needed. plus you will probably take more shots in the first 3 months than you will the next 6

Back