Review Canon 40D - special mention

If I look around my viewing room it's interesting to note that some of the nicest display pieces have come from my 40D days - looking great at 30x20 inches (even after some cropping). I think when it comes to good quality prints it's not just about megapixels - the low pixel density of the 40D seems to produce very smooth files which blow up nicely. This is not always the case with some of the later camera offerings which as someone said earlier, do have a digital look to them. I've never been able to tell the difference between the output from my 40D and my 5D mkI (aside from a bit more noise).

Also i suspect that 10MP is fine at larger sizes (Ive used one at A0 before) because large pics arent meant to be viewed up close and across the room theeye doesnt see the sparse pixels

Cooler is a very good description, was trying to find a way to describe the difference.

Also i suspect that 10MP is fine at larger sizes (Ive used one at A0 before) because large pics arent meant to be viewed up close and across the room theeye doesnt see the sparse pixels

I've said before,I won a national comp with my 40d and had the winning image displayed on a large digital advertising board (7 stories high)!

Love my 40D! Can't afford to upgrade at the moment but also forces me to think about my pictures.

Here is a shot of my daughter at ISO 3200, straight into LR and with only WB adjustment. Still very usable for the purposes I might need it for. It is purely a demo shot and thus not technically correct :)

40D ISO 3200 by GraemeDee, on Flickr

but prefer the colours from the 5D.

Or 1Ds II. The tones and colour reproduction was really something special and I wouldn't say that 5DIII is any better in that regard; more pixels, and better high ISO, thats it.

If I look around my viewing room it's interesting to note that some of the nicest display pieces have come from my 40D days - looking great at 30x20 inches (even after some cropping). I think when it comes to good quality prints it's not just about megapixels - the low pixel density of the 40D seems to produce very smooth files which blow up nicely. This is not always the case with some of the later camera offerings which as someone said earlier, do have a digital look to them. I've never been able to tell the difference between the output from my 40D and my 5D mkI (aside from a bit more noise).

30x20" is doable, but just. You really don't want a customer with a magnifying glass...

I'd say 1DIII with a 10MP could upscale far better than 40D. AA filter was fairly strong on 40D eating away some sharpness.

When I first had my 40D, a colleague at work switched to a 5d and the clarity, sharpness and colours were really noticeable.

I've had a 40d from new . It does all I want it to and in my eyes does it well . I have considered upgrading but can't justify it at the minute , so sticking with it for now .

Back