Canon 40D

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I couldn't wait any longer. Having been waiting since march for this upgrade from my 300D, I bought one today from my local Jessops. It came with 3 years warrenty, plus accidental damage cover at the same price others wanted for it.

Initial thoughts are it's a great size, the rubber covering is very tactile, the preview screen is very good for looking at shots taken and the rapid fire shutter is to dream for, although noisier than my 300D.

I've not had long to play tonight but the focussing is very quick.

I've just got to learn all the new buttons :D and wait for Adobe to catch up with raw support

Come on then. More, more....

Mine arrives on Monday. Can't remember if I have told the missus :thinking:

can yoo not play the old "This thing.... i've had it for ages" card just like they do with new shoes / blouses/ shoes etc :D

Strange really given that any figure quoted in inches will always be 2 1/2 times more in centimetres :D

can yoo not play the old "This thing.... i've had it for ages" card just like they do with new shoes / blouses/ shoes etc :D

Shush - I'm doing that with the 100-400 lens I've just bought :D

OK, unscientific update.

I used it to take photos at my daughters 18th birthday party last night with my 420 flash attached. I decided to shoot just large jpg to avoid any problems with raw. As I bought body only I used my old kit lens on it.

Firstly - it's such a tactile thing. The slightly rubber feel to the grip is just right and everything is just there. I've upgraded from the 300D and theres a lot of similarity (helpful) but lots of new things to lean to. However everything just feels very familiar.

Next - the larger viewfinder is brilliant as everyone wanted to see the shots taken and it's really easy to see them over the smaller screen of the 300D. You can scroll through the pictures really quickly too, which is very handy.

The results were brilliant. I shot on Auto ISO which used 400 all night long and the results were noiseless. I could always notice a litte noise on ISO 400 before with the 300D.

Obviously for my sport photography the large shot buffer and quick shutter speed will be brilliant. I've noticed that on worse case scenario of Raw & large jpg it slows quite quickly as it struggles to write the data away (sandisk extreme III), but if you're sensible with format selection it's really rapid.

Oh auto turn off (plus turning the flashgun off) plus instant startup is brilliant to.

Everyone thought the photo's were great, so first impression are that this is a really worthwhile upgrade.

well after much thought about buying the 40d from canada when i go at the end of sept ive decided to get it from jessops with the deal they have at the moment
http://http://www.jessops.com/Products/CategoryDetail.aspx?CatID=5670
it gives me piece of mind as canon would not honour the guarantee in the uk if bought in canada, and i can pick it up at the weekend with a bit of luck, just need to get rid of my 10d and battery grip now to fund it :)

Wow thats a good price for Jessops :eek: only £7 more than Warehous Express, wangle a free CF card out of the sales bloke and you are sorted ;)

Wow thats a good price for Jessops :eek: only £7 more than Warehous Express, wangle a free CF card out of the sales bloke and you are sorted ;)

think that might be pushing my luck a bit , but you can only try :p

Jessies won't buy that one. RGB are out of stock at the mo and the Jessies price does include cover.

Take this url with you - http://www.rgb-tech.co.uk/product/574 - tell them its £999 there and you were just passing Jessops and thought you would have a look in, keep saying something along the lines of "hmm....90 quid more" see if they offer you anything ;)

had my name down at that site and rang them the other day and they have no idea when they will have stock, and jessops will price match if you take an internet offer but only if they have it in stock ive done that in the past but this way i will have the camera for my forthcoming trip which will be nice.

Stewart,

Warehouse Expresss is offering them for £799 + postage, and it comes with a free 2GB Sandisk card.

Why try bringing up in Jessies and see how that goes?

Let us know how you get on!!

Matt

Stewart,

Warehouse Expresss is offering them for £799 + postage, and it comes with a free 2GB Sandisk card.

Why try bringing up in Jessies and see how that goes?

Let us know how you get on!!

Matt

will try that when i pick it up, will keep you posted:D

Stewart,

Just to let you know - picked up a 40D from Jessies today, tried waving a print-out from Warehouse Express in their faces, but they wouldn't play ball.

But it doesn't mean to say that it'll be the same at another branch! :)

Matt

did you get their photo+ warrenty thrown in as well?

3 years cover plus accidental damage. Seemed reasonable

well i picked up my 40d which i waited 2 days for as i didnt want the one that they had on show, got home and thought that seal looks like its been opened so i took the camera out and bingo it came with a 256 card with 75 images on it, i rang the store as u would and played merry hell, to cut this short the outcome was i asked for a new sealed camera which i got and a 2gig card for my trouble but was offered vouchers for there printing which i refused, so i told her (manager) that i was going to email the pics to head office as i had taken a copy of them, which i had and it shows the staff pratting about :) , anyway i do have my new SEALED camera to play with this weekend, may even post some of there pics if they dont cough up lol,

The vouchers for printing came free with my new camera, so they weren't offering you anything at all for your trouble.

They were for cheap printing every month, but were still more expensive than photobox.

Byker,

Yes I did get the 3 years warranty thingy - they send out the details to you right? It just appeared on my receipt and I was given a leaflet.....

I'm just hoping for a decent days weather tomorrow so we can go out for a "family trip" :naughty:

Oh, and don't look on the Jessops site tonight OK? :thumbsdown:

Enjoy the cam sir!! :nuts:

Matt

I have not really done much with my new 40d yet but I am really liking it so far.

for me the high speed burst is a godsend and the huge lcd screen is neat. focusing speed and accuracy seems to be much improved over my 350d too

dislikes: - there being no raw support yet in lightroom or cs3

and erm thats about it really.

also having a problem working out just when liveview would actually be of any use to me apart from sunset pictures.

am well happy I upgraded though

well since yesterdays update cs3 and lightroom now have 40d raw support...

:)

guess I had better go take some pictures then

Thanks for the update pingu - any ideas if there's going to be an update for CS2?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the update pingu - any ideas if there's going to be an update for CS2?

Thanks,

Matt
Adobe said:
The Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in became the latest must-have tool for professional photographers when it was released in February 2003. This powerful plug-in has been updated to support more cameras and include more features, and is available as part of Adobe Photoshop CS3. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is also available and is built upon the same powerful raw processing technology that is available in the camera raw plug-in.

Are they only mentioning CS3 because it's new?

Camera Raw 4.2 does not work with CS2, I checked this morning. The most recent update that works with CS2 is Camera Raw 3.7

Adobe are gits when it comes to doing that!

By making support for different camera formats a part of ACR rather than individual plugins to it, they make it so you need to upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop if you want it to support the latest camera models.

If you download the latest ACR update with the DNG convertor, even though it is not for your version of Photoshop, you can then use the latter (as it is a free standalone application) to convert a camera's own raw format to DNG, which can then be read by older versions of Photoshop.

Otherwise you will have to upgrade or use a different convertor.

Michael.

Oh and another update for you all - took some shots yesterday, some with a view to do some HDR work...chucked a few of them through Photomatix, and the resultant shots all came out purple!!

I've mailed HDR Soft, who came back VERY quickly with a response I have to say!!

"Yes, this problem is because Photomatix Pro does not yet support Raw files from the Canon 40D unfortunately. Support for it will be added in either a
v2.5.3 sub-release or a beta of version 3.0, but in either case it is unlikely to happen before several weeks.

In the meantime, you will have to convert your 40D RAW files in a RAW converter that supports them, and then process the converted files in Photomatix."

So you'll have to convert your 40D RAW files to jpgs or TIFFS to used Photomatix for your HDR's too!

The price you pay for being some of the first to go for the 40D I guess! :)

Matt

LOL. Too late she's seen it in the camera bag and just accepted it. :D

Nice sharp lens too - Thanks

85674895.jpg

Just got to get used to the push/pull and the weight. After 90 mins of football yesterday I knew I'd been using it.

Oh and another update for you all - took some shots yesterday, some with a view to do some HDR work...and all my shots came out purple!!

I've mailed HDR Soft, who came back VERY quickly with a response I have to say!!

"Yes, this problem is because Photomatix Pro does not yet support Raw files from the Canon 40D unfortunately. Support for it will be added in either a
v2.5.3 sub-release or a beta of version 3.0, but in either case it is unlikely to happen before several weeks.

In the meantime, you will have to convert your 40D RAW files in a RAW converter that supports them, and then process the converted files in Photomatix."

So you'll have to convert your 40D RAW files to jpgs or TIFFS to used Photomatix for your HDR's too!

The price you pay for being some of the first to go for the 40D I guess! :)

Matt

Luckily I use Lightroom for 99.9% of my photo's, so the Raw support came only a week after I purchased my camera - which was good. Having said that - I didn't seem to be missing much by shooting in jpg for that week.

Back