Canon 40mm 2.8 stm

Edit My Images
No
I'm in the market for a 'mint-ish' one of these (sorry if as a new member I'm not supposed to say that yet!) but have become a bit unnerved by what I've read about early versions this lens on the internet, needing a v2 firmware update. The Canon UK website says that it isn't available any more, but the Canada website is offering a third version under this heading:
Service Notice: EF 40mm f/2.8 STM: Firmware Update Ver 1.2.0
I can't work out which examples will come with the latest firmware, but having read of people almost bricking their lens with an update, I'm not even thinking about it.
I can't find anything on TP about it, but can anyone offer any thoughts on the matter, please?
Many thanks.

Odd - I have just downloaded it here... In the zip file is the firmware update (LFU) and 4 or 5 sets of instructions on how to upgrade in a multiplicity of languages

Aha! If I look on my phone there is no software to download... I wonder if Canon's website is trying to be too clever for its own good?

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Jason. Your link works now for me. I was believing what appears in the attached screenshot. Unfortunately this is not the first time I have experienced problems with the Canon website which I feel can reasonably be expected to be rather more "friendly". It sometimes takes me a lot of hunting around to find info, which is why I prefer the efllens.com site.
I'd prefer not to have to do updates, though, so I think I'll try to buy one of the 40mm lenses whose serial number indicates moderately recent manufacture. But I'm still glad to have your link in reserve, if push comes to shove.
Thanks and best wishes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 11-01-19 at 06.42 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 11-01-19 at 06.42 PM.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 7
Well it's quite correct - there is no software. Only firmware. For a consumer oriented website that's quite a fine distinction IMO.

Well, it confused me ........... I fear I might be too old and tired to spot the subtle difference.

Back