Canon 430EX on Nikon D40

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all!
My mate (who is a Nikon user :bang: :p ) would like to borrow my 430EX flash for a couple of shots he wants to try. Would using a Canon flash on Nikon body cause any problems? Obviously he'll need to use it in Manual mode.

Cheers,
Dave

Hey all!
My mate (who is a Nikon user :bang: :p ) would like to borrow my 430EX flash for a couple of shots he wants to try. Would using a Canon flash on Nikon body cause any problems? Obviously he'll need to use it in Manual mode.

Cheers,
Dave

I've used a Nikon flash on a Canon G9, via a cable with the ttl wires cut with no problems, but if you bung it straight on the hotshoe there's a chance you could damage either the camera, flash or both, unless you tape over all the contacts on the flash except the main power one, even then you do so at your own risk ;)

I would say if there is even the smallest chance it will cook the Nikon then, go for it :)

Seriously, I wouldn't try it.

It won't work connected directly via the hotshoe for TTL stuff but via a PC cable (you can get a hotshoe adaptor, which will facilitate this on a D40) the 430EX will work but you'll have to set the flash power manually. It's no hassle – I shoot manual flash for a lot of my magazine work – but you'd need some sort of stand/holder for the flash for obvious reason and it's not something for snapshot work when you need instantaneous results.
It's a lot like studio flash but on a smaller scale :)

I have a wireless adapter which I can give him, saves worrying about cooking the Nikon...

Though... I do like the smell of burning Nikon in the morning.

whats the adaptor?
if it's ebay triggers / skysports/pocketwizards then will be fine ;)
wireless commander im not to sure about

Back