Canon 450 or 500 for beginner

Name
alan
Edit My Images
No
Hi and hello to everyone has his is my first post, i am a total beginner to SLR and after spending the last 2 weeks looking back through all the "which camara, i am a novice" posts i am 99.9% sure i will be ok starting with a 450, BUT a freind has put a little uncertainty in my head regarding a 500, i was told these were almost the same except the 500 has video, i really cant see much point in video on a stills camara, so suppose my question is, is the 500 worth considering and are there any advantage to having video.

In my opinion, unless you have to have video the 500D is not worth the money over the 450D.
However do not rule out second hand equipment. A 40D maybe?

Do you want to stick with Canon? Cause the Nikon D5000 is awesome-and similarly priced, buts a helluva lot nicer to use! But I had a 450D for a couple of weeks - bought of here, and it was MUCH better compared to Canon's earlier ones, 400D, 350D etc mainly because they have made it much more solidly built. TBH, though it didn't really hit it off with me, I've always found canons a soft compared to Nikon/Pentax. ;)

Just remembered - secondhand they can be a bargain. Bought it for £310 with 18-55 IS and sold body only for £256 on ebay. TBH I expected it to be a lot higher than that was v disappointed but you see the bargains you can get. ;)

A few more differences between the 450D and 500D.

450D - 12.2 MP, Digic 3 processor, 230K LCD screen

500D - 15.1 MP, Digic 4 processor, 920K Clear View LCD screen

Full 450D specs here

500D specs here

Paul

ALANW , you can compare specs all you want , what you should be doing is going to a bricks and mortar shop and handling them all :)

A few more differences between the 450D and 500D.

450D - 12.2 MP, Digic 3 processor, 230K LCD screen

500D - 15.1 MP, Digic 4 processor, 920K Clear View LCD screen

Full 450D specs here

500D specs here

Paul

HI Paul

i noticed you are down has having a 500 in your signature, did you compare yours to the 450 at the time and if so can i ask what swayed you to the 500?

also how does the video perform

Alan

Hi Alan,

I compared my 500D to my brother-in-laws 400D.
I was switching to Canon from a Sony a200 and reading through some threads on here my choice was between the 500D and a second hand 40D.
Went for the 500D simply because I wanted my camera new.
Got the 500D plus kit lens from Kerso for £500.
I've found it's a big step up in quality from the Sony and of course there's a far bigger choice of lenses.

As PaulYoung666 says try a few out in a shop and see which one you like the feel of.

Paul

Back