Canon 450D v Canon 40D

Name
mark lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking to buy either a Canon 450D when it comes out or a Canon 40D.

Has anyone got any suggestions which is the better camera?

Have a play with both in a shop (or at least a 400D if you can't get a 450D to play with), I found that I didn't get on with the XXD's any where near as well as I got on with the X0D's...

do you know aprox. how many pics would i get on a 1g sd card using a 12 mp camera

I'm sure there are many more differences than this, but to get you started:

The 40D is much bigger. May be an advantage or disadvantage depending how you look at it.

The 450D is the "entry-level" DSLR.

I think the 450D has 12MP over 10MP on the 40D.

One big feature of the 40D is the burst mode which shoots 6.5 frames per second compared with 3.5 on the 450D.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that :)

Oh, for what it's worth, I have the 40D. You won't be disappointed if you get one!

do you know aprox. how many pics would i get on a 1g sd card using a 12 mp camera

If I remember correctly about 40 pictures for a 1 GB card in RAW. I have the 40D and I'm delighted with it. Go into a shop and try holding either one first to see whats comfy as well. I held the 400D (450 was'nt out) which I believe is around the same size then held the 40D which felt quite substantial. I feel I could hold onto the 40D easier than the 400 with less chance of dropping it. As for the extra 2 mp, I think you'd be pretty hard pushed to see the difference.

I know this is not a fair comparison but I went from a 350D to a 40D and the difference is immense....even if the 350 was the same spec as the 40D I would have the 40D over and over again...wonderful camera..

Even though the 450D has more MP, the sensor in the 40D is better, it's more advanced and has bigger microlenses so it's going to be firstly more sensitive, and secondly better at higher ISOs.

Image quality wise they will be almost identical.

The 40D is better than the 450D, there are plenty of features they share but the 40D excells in the most important areas (like build quality, frames per second, AF).

I have a 40D and love it, i'd NEVER get a 450D over a 40D. Definatly worth the extra cash (and to be honest the price difference isn't huge between the 450D and 40D at the moment, the 40D has a cashback offer on).

Which is the better camera? <Harry Hill> There's only one way to find out... FIGHT! </tv burp>

40D without argument.

but you're asking the wrong question...

Which is the better camera for you? Whats your projected use? First camera or had them before? What lenses do you have / plan to get?

its my first digital slr I travel regulary and would use it mostly when I'm traveling

Not only is the 40D a superior camera - but depending on where you buy it, the 40D may be cheaper. Jessops 450D body £599 - 40D body with £100 cashback £529.
Hold on - I think I'll get one myself !! :banana:

Back