Canon 500 f4 IS (mki) - Grainy images

I don't see any "Grain". I see some not nice artifacts from the very shallow depth of field in some combinations, but not "Grain" or any digital noise.
Go back 40 years and use some GAF 800 or even High Speed Ektochrome (400asa) then you'll moan about grain!

This may sound odd, but can heat / air temperature affect images?

Quite noticeably in warm/hot conditions. I live in France and shooting football from ground level can be quite challenging with the heat haze rising from the pitches at this time of the year. It's not too obvious from normal spactating levels but the contrast and sharpness suffers as the distance to subject increases (and also if the humidity is higher).

Bob

This may sound odd, but can heat / air temperature affect images?
Yes, absolutely. One of my current projects is trying to photograph the International Space Station, which is typically only visible for a couple of hours before dawn or after sunset. It definitely seems to be easier to get good images in the mornings than the evenings, and I think that's because it's cooler and the atmosphere is more still.

Note that it isn't the heat per se that causes the issue, but the turbulence of the atmosphere caused by the heat.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Appreciate that. The two days from the aviation shots I've shown were quite warm, well one was bloody roasting and the other was hot but with a bit of humidity.
The badger shots where quite cool and breezy.

Will try the 5dmkiii with it for aviation next month and see what's what front there.

Thanks for all the help and insight. Some interesting reading and what not. You learn something every day as they say

Last edited:
Back