Canon 500D and Canon 70-200mm f4.0 L series lens

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi all this is my first post.

A few years back I owned a Canon 40d and a Canon 100-400 is l series lens. I had to sell due to needing the funds elsewhere, biggest mistake I ever made.

I have recently got back in to photography by getting a good deal on a new 500d with the 18-55 is lens. This will be mainly for taking pictures of family events and things like that. I also like to do motorsport photography hence the lens I had previously. I was wondering if the Canon 70-200 f4.0 non is l series lens would be good for the motorsport stuff and work well with the 500d? I can get a used one for about £400 and that's about my budget really.

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Yes, 70-200 F4 L is a great lens. It is, of course, much shorter than you are used to with the 100-400...

You could ofcourse try and budget in a teleconverter too! That would help bump up the reach (if you need it!) you will have a fair bit of room to crop thanks to the pixel-ishusness of the 500d compared to what you are used to :)

An additional question - Is the F4.0 fast enough to stop the wheels on the bike (for want of a better phrase) in cloudy condition etc?

Last edited:
I have a 500D and a 70-200mm f.4.0 L. They work great together and my pics are really sharp with it.

One thing though, unless yoru camera is gripped it will look a little ridiculous on the body (the 500D isnt really that big a body). I'm not saying thats a reason to get a grip i'm just saying that it looks a little strange and feels a little lens heavy in the hand.

Even that though, i'd still recommend the combo.

An additional question - Is the F4.0 fast enough to stop the wheels on the bike (for want of a better phrase) in cloudy condition etc?
Gosh, no idea, but you could set your kit lens at f4 and see what it manages in the conditions you want to test.

Thanks for the replys. Am going to get the 70-200 l series lens for my 500d.

I know this is a bit of an amateur question, but what difference will a 2x converter make if used with the 70-200 in terms of apature etc? Will i still get f4.0?

I am using Nikon D7000 right now.. and it is having really good lens...

Last edited:
I dint think the 2x converter will autofocus on a non-pro body! Could be wrong though

I think it will but I'm only 97.37% sure of that

No it won't, not a Canon TC anyway, only 1 series bodies AF over f5.6, so you could use the 70-200 f/4 with a 1.4x TC, but that's it i'm afraid

tijuana taxi said:
No it won't, not a Canon TC anyway, only 1 series bodies AF over f5.6, so you could use the 70-200 f/4 with a 1.4x TC, but that's it i'm afraid

Thanks for the confirmation, as I said I was not sure as I do not use a 2x teleconverter but was pretty certain I had read something to this effect!

Back