Canon 500d or 40d????

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
After lots of reading up and handling was all set you shop for a canon 500d as my first DSLR purchase, after more reading on this website and looking in the classifields i realise my could get a second hand 40d body for well under a new 500d body but i would appreciate some advice on the differences between the 2.

Thanks

JD

The 40d is better built, more rugged, easier to use, better controls, better weather sealing, will potentaily last longer. Its a semi pro range camera where as the 500d isnt.

You loose video and loose 5Mp with the 40D but I think overal its the better camera.

I'm looking to add a second body to my current 500D. I opened a thread the other day asking which to team it with, another 500D or 40D - the general feeling I got was a 40D.

If I was buying from scratch....probably a 40D however I am trying to find ISO comparisons cause that will swing it for me.

You can check out this link here for a side by side....you need to tick to Show All Cameras for the 40D to show

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

The 40d is better built, more rugged, easier to use, better controls, better weather sealing, will potentaily last longer. Its a semi pro range camera where as the 500d isnt.

You loose video and loose 5Mp with the 40D but I think overal its the better camera.

Couldn't have put it better myself, if you dont require video its a no brainer IMO. There is a hell of a difference in the feel and handling of a XXXD and a XXD.

ISO wise I can say the 40D is good up to 800 after that you need to nail your exposure to keep the grain down.

Agree with all this. I had a new 500D, my first DSLR. After a few months I had a chance to try a 40D. Result; instant sale of the 500 & purchase of a mint 40 from here. The xxx range feel like toys compared to a xx (well, maybe 60D excepted:shrug:)

Get the 40.

Agree with the comments above. I went from a 450D to a 40D and the difference in handling and controls is huge. The 40D is a dream to use! :D

But video is the one feature which could swing it. Personally I'm not fussed for video so my decision was a no-brainer.

Enjoy whatever you purchase :)

I'm thinking of maybe getting a 50d but will ask in another thread.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a 50d but will ask in another thread.

So why post here when a 50D hasnt even been mentioned?

Getting closer to that 100 maybe? Whats that now 60 posts today alone? :thumbsdown:

I would go for a 40d. The build quality and size are just perfect. In fact mine is for sale here as I have just upgraded to a 7d!;)

Another happy 40D owner here. My first DSLR and I think I definitely made the right choice. No desire to upgrade yet, at least to another crop body. If 5D2 comes down in price maybe...

I was choosing between the 500D and 40D as well, but I chose the 40D for feel and quality. The decision was easy when I went to a shop to try a 50D (which is v similar to 40D) next to a 500D. xxxDs feel really flimsy in comparison and the brighter viewfinder from pentaprism (rather than mirror) on the 40D is a major appeal.

Video was obviously 500D's appeal, but the mono mic and the lack of external mic input was a deal breaker for me. The only reason I wanted video was because I do lots of gigs and thought it'd be nice. 550D takes external mic, but then they cost a fair bit more.

Go 40D, you can't go wrong :)

Feel free to visit my flickr page I did a gig shoot recently. You get the idea of its high ISO performance.

I love my 20D but if / when it dies I'll be buying a new camera.

Personally I think that the older cameras are a bit too much of a risk and although I know that many people have bought a used DSLR with no problem I think I'd rather go for a new one and the piece of mind that a new shutter, clean viewfinder and new warranty bring.

That's just me though and the OP may have the same or a different view.

I just couldn't do the xxxD range, they feel like cameras made for women and midgets.

Any normal alpha male will not be able to get comfortable with one. And considering you can get a solid 30/40D for example at nigh on half the price...... Bob's your uncle and cherry is your mistress!

I love my 20D but if / when it dies I'll be buying a new camera.

Personally I think that the older cameras are a bit too much of a risk and although I know that many people have bought a used DSLR with no problem I think I'd rather go for a new one and the piece of mind that a new shutter, clean viewfinder and new warranty bring.

That's just me though and the OP may have the same or a different view.

It is always slightly risky getting used.
I bought a 40D used, which I don't regret, but I wish I had gone through a site that offered a warranty (somewhere like mpbphotographic).

My 40D had a very minor button fault when it arrived. I dismissed it because it would have no effect on my shooting, but months later and the fault has got worse so now I'm going to have to get it repaired.
Seems likely the previous owner has knocked it right on the button and damaged it slightly.
I bought it from a well rated ebay seller, but his return period was only a week, so now I'm just going to have to pay for the repair. To be fair to him, the fault was so minor you had to use the camera for a while to notice it at all, so I highly doubt he sold it to me knowing of it's minor fault. Apart from that it is in excellent condition.

I don't regret my choice to buy used (no camera I could afford new gives the performance I want and get out of the 40D), just the fact I didn't do it through somewhere that offers a warranty, or I should have taken the very minor fault it arrived with more seriously.

I highly recommend the 40D though :)

But if you don't need speed or ruggedness, an xxxD body does do the job fine, and will take up less space and weight.

Last edited:
I just couldn't do the xxxD range, they feel like cameras made for women and midgets.

Any normal alpha male will not be able to get comfortable with one. And considering you can get a solid 30/40D for example at nigh on half the price...... Bob's your uncle and cherry is your mistress!

No man who is truly secure and happy worries about the size of his tool, and that's what a camera is.

I went through the 400d-40d route. 40d every time for me, even when compared to the 50d. Dont get me started on the 60d, what were Canon thinking. Oh yes....they weren't thinking.

Although the xxxd's are a good starter, ther are a bit Micky Mouse and as the last poster said "For midgets and Girls" lol.

If you do get a 500d, don't ever pick up a xxd, you will kick yourself very hard!

Back